You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Who vs Led Zeppelin

Bjornebye

Who was the better band?   

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better band?

• The Who
    • Led Zeppelin

2 minutes ago, Stickman said:

It's a brilliant song is that, shame it was never on the original album 

The studio version is nowhere near as good, although you could say that about a lot of Who stuff because they were so good live...

22 hours ago, Mook said:

The studio version is nowhere near as good, although you could say that about a lot of Who stuff because they were so good live...

In the classic album documentary I think it’s Daltrey who says that Who’s Next gets closer to their live performances than any other as they’d played a lot of  the songs numerous times live before actually recording them like with the free concerts at the Young Vic …

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Stickman said:

In the classic album documentary I think it’s Daltrey who says that Who’s Next gets closer to their live performances than any other as they’d played a lot of  the songs numerous times live before actually recording them like with the free concerts at the Young Vic …

It was the first album where they had top class engineers & producers around and it shows. 

• 3 weeks later...

From the Lulu show in 1970 which was said to be wiped,  and including some very dodgy clobber although got to be honest I love Daltrey's jacket ...

Live singing with mimed instrumentation although that's not hard to suss out as nobody did mimed drumming worse than Moon

Love old clips like this that have a kind of innocence of four lads just trying to make it in the music business before they became massive. Daltrey and his dippity-doo straight hair coming across as the tough geezer in the band. Townshend not being a miserable cunt, Moon being kinda shy and pre-Lord Snooty/Dear Boy voice....And Entwistle being Entwistle in saying fuck all

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Stickman said:

From the Lulu show in 1970 which was said to be wiped,  and including some very dodgy clobber although got to be honest I love Daltrey's jacket ...

Live singing with mimed instrumentation although that's not hard to suss out as nobody did mimed drumming worse than Moon

Love old clips like this that have a kind of innocence of four lads just trying to make it in the music business before they became massive. Daltrey and his dippity-doo straight hair coming across as the tough geezer in the band. Townshend not being a miserable cunt, Moon being kinda shy and pre-Lord Snooty/Dear Boy voice....And Entwistle being Entwistle in saying fuck all

Curly hair is ace. Daltrey’s hair was very good, though not as impressive as Robert Plant’s.

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Anyone remember this?

Boss cast. Roger Daltrey, George Sweeney, Arthur Fowler and Ant Jones from Grange Hill.

I remember that it also starred Jon Finch from Frenzy who interestingly was first offered the role of Bond for Live and Let Die but turned it down, and was also cast as Kane in Alien but had to drop out on the second day of filming due to severe diabetes . Next thing you're playing the coastguard in Pop Pirates ...Who said the movie business is tough? ....

Fuck knows what that is on Daltrey's face ?

Hopefully Talking Pics will show it as they show a lot of those Children Film Foundation movies

• 7 months later...

I don't think it's a fair fight. The Who started as an r and b/pop combo. Their style changed as they matured - just compare I Can't Explain to Love Reign Over Me. Chalk and cheese. 

Whereas Led Zep arrived a fully formed heavy rock group.

Both two of the greatest bands there's ever been.