You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Who vs Led Zeppelin

Bjornebye

Who was the better band?   

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better band?

• The Who
    • Led Zeppelin

On 1/5/2019 at 2:46 AM, Remmie said:

I'm staggeringly ignorant about both bands and only know a couple of tracks. I reckon I'd dig both bands though, where should I start? 

Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III and Led Zeppelin IV. Then more Zeppelin. 

Always loved Zeppelin, everything they’ve done, I don’t do regrets (life’s too short) but I do regret never having seen them live.

I like the Who, have seen them live (without Moon) and Join Together is one of my favourite ever tracks.

Man for man Zeppelin win though, only JPJ and the Ox are close in my opinion, there’s never been a better drummer than Bonzo, fact.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:21 PM, Lee909 said:

I really don't see how this is up for debate at all. 

Pete Townshend a fucking Paedo

Roger Daltrey a tory cunt

There is not one member of The Who where they are better than Zeppelin 

Robert Plant pisses all over Daltry

John Paul Jones better

Jimmy Page better

John Bonham better

It's not even close

But The Who had better songs. 

Nice topic. It's a score draw for me. Quadrophenia and Who's Next and Led Zep III and Physical Graffiti are my personal favourites. 

The Who had a great journey from 4-piece r and b, through to heavy pop, onto rock gods. Whereas LZ arrived as a fully formed heavy rock outfit. 

I do think LZ were the better musicians. Even Townshend said Moon was a terrible drummer, he just had a very unique style. 

It's like comparing Kenny and Rushie. Both amazing forwards, but different in their delivery. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Always loved Zeppelin, everything they’ve done, I don’t do regrets (life’s too short) but I do regret never having seen them live.

I like the Who, have seen them live (without Moon) and Join Together is one of my favourite ever tracks.

Man for man Zeppelin win though, only JPJ and the Ox are close in my opinion, there’s never been a better drummer than Bonzo, fact.

Ginger Baker is better than Bonham.

4 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

If I was Ginger, I would too. Not many like him.

Bonham and Moon were good, but the 'Orrible bastard is on another level.

I love them all to be honest.

Might be worth pointing out that Baker shat out of a drum battle with Buddy Rich around 1970 though, 'think he knew he was well out of his depth there.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mook said:

I love them all to be honest.

Might be worth pointing out that Baker shat out of a drum battle with Buddy Rich around 1970 though, 'think he knew he was well out of his depth there.

To be fair to him, he has always wanted to be recognized in the same levels of the jazz greats, as far as I know he never claimed to be better than any of those. He hated being called a rock drummer that's why he goes mad at being put in the same category as Bonzo and Moon. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:03 PM, Chip Butty said:

Going to see The Maximum Who on Saturday 26th, seeing as we now have a free weekend. Probably one of the better cover bands as well, to be fair. 

Got a text from O2 about that. Might see if there is a ticket available on the day. I've heard they are very good. 

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:03 PM, Chip Butty said:

Going to see The Maximum Who on Saturday 26th, seeing as we now have a free weekend. Probably one of the better cover bands as well, to be fair. 

I remember seeing them I think it was at the Lomax back in 1995-96 they were brilliant in fact I probably loved it more that going to see the actual Who just because it was in such a small venue.

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

Good, they should have packed it in years ago. 

Saw them back in 2004 (I think) and it wasn’t very good. Very underwhelming.

Saw them in 1999 I think it was, Entwistle was still alive and they had Zak Starkey on drums. 

I thought they were excellent live but the whole ‘experience’ was just odd.

Bigger queues for the champagne bar than the regular bar and loads of people obviously gone there straight from work still in business suits.  

Was great to see them before Entwistle died but it just made you wish you’d seen them live at the time. 

• Upvote 3