You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club Vs Liverpool Football Club, Football Association Cup Third Round

Dicko

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Yeah, I love it when we get knocked out of domestic cup competitions, me. It's great watching Chelsea and city picking up trophies every season.  Feel like a right winner after that shitfest of a line-up and performance. Go us.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the domestic cups. They're a distraction until the final itself and even then it's a day out for the fans. When we won the League cup in 2012 we were ushering in a new era of dominance instead we signed Charlie Adams. When Wigan and Portsmouth won this they near went bust in the following seasons. Arsenal have stood still or gone backwards even though they have 4 or so wins of the last 7. Chelsea last year were out of the top 4 so had to do something. Winning the FA Cup is a sign of nothing. 

I give no fucks about it and I'm glad Klopp sees it that way too. The BBC cry-arsing about the competition's supposed importance won't make me change my mind either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Wanted us to win it. We are out so just forget about it now. One thing it highlights is our staggeringly shit lack of strength in depth. City would get to the final with their 2nd string. We need 2 players this January. A striker (Fuck Sturbridge off now on a free if needs be) and a Centre-Half. 

Oh and Hoever is fucking brilliant and arguably the best player in the league right now. 

Get the Brighton thread started!

9 minutes ago, suzy said:

Get the Brighton thread started!

I think the rule is that victories result in an extension to match thread starts. As we lost to Man City, a new match thread starter was set and the thread has been started already by someone else.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I think the rule is that victories result in an extension to match thread starts. As we lost to Man City, a new match thread starter was set and the thread has been started already by someone else.

Yes but the person who started it said they didn't actually mean it to be a match thread. Ah well, I'm not brave enough...

1 hour ago, Skaro said:

I would totally agree with you... except the Cup no longer remotely resembles what the competition used to be like - bar the trophy itself.

The epitome of its shitness these days is that getting to the final at Wembley isn't even special, because you play the semi there now too.  The semi finals in the old days where huge unique events in themselves - Hillsborough, Villa Park etc

I'm gutted we lost today, but sadly this ain't the Cup it once was.

Compare my heart break walking out of Villa Park in 1990 after Palace... and this Wolves game was a pre-season friendly.

I do get that and agree with last paragraph too - i was at that semi final too....was devoed.

Yeah Wembley has been devalued, semis there and fucking Spurs playing league games there.

The thing is it is has all come to this due to money.

7 minutes ago, suzy said:

Yes but the person who started it said they didn't actually mean it to be a match thread. Ah well, I'm not brave enough...

I nominate suzy to start the match thread...

Go on suzy, you know you want to...You can start our new unbeaten run.

Edit: Bjornebye has started it.

The situation is special for us. It’s all about those 29 years.

FA cup? Best thing is to win it. Next best thing is to be out of it as fast as you can.

This is proof of nothing, but still worth a mention: We went out of the league cup at the first opportunity. Spurs and Man City are still in it. Then look at the league results for December. Coincidence?

The only positives I can see is that we saw a glimpse of Hoever's potential (judging him as 16 year old thrown in at the deep end) and that apart from diving in on the first goal Fabinho generally looked good while operating as a one man defence.  His ability on the ball may actually be a big positive against Brighton assuming he steps in for Lovren in that game as they'll probably play quite defensively.

The attitude from Moreno and Sturridge in particular was enough to show that both should go in the Summer and the performance from Mignolet was in line with what you'd expect.  Two good shots on target and two goals.

I'm gradually coming to an opinion that Keita won't come good for us although I know many disagree.  He has definite ability but he's too slow to see obvious passes (especially when he's dribbling) and gets stuck with his head down too much which hurts our attacking play.  I can see why he doesn't play regularly.

I'll only really form my feelings on this game at the end of the season.  If we win something I'll see it positively and if we don't then not so much.  I'm just glad I turned down a ticket for last night or I probably wouldn't be so relaxed about it. 

• Upvote 1

As always, whether or not this is a good thing will only be proven in the next few weeks and months. If we finally end our 29-year yearning for the league title then I genuinely couldn't give the remotest fuck about last night - in fact if we have a warm weather training break and go on a run after that then I'll even be pleased about it. If we fuck up though then it feels like a wasted opportunity.

Thought most of the youngsters did well (Hoever was excellent and Camacho was raw but full of energy and his touch was first class) or at least didn't look completely out of place at worst - Curtis Jones was pretty anonymous but he had absolute horror shows behind him and beside him in Moreno and Sturridge. Those two - along with Origi (took his goal well but just doesn't seem to do anything other than offer a minor goal threat), Keita and Mignolet were the biggest disappointments: this could have been an opportunity for them to play into some sort of contention but they just didn't look any better than reserves. Shaqiri and Milner were below par but I'm prepared to accept that it's difficult to shine in such an ad-hoc team - I suppose the same extends to all of them but those two get the benefit of the doubt after some excellent displays alongside the main first team.

Final word to Wolves fans - that's twice we've played them in recent weeks and they've been utter small-time, parochial, slack-jawed, Soccer Saturday-copying fucking cunts both times. Their team and manager seem to be really professional and likeable but they can take their sign on chants back into their backwater fucking town and fuck off down the leagues with their bent fucking agent mate with them*.

*Unless they do us another favour and take points off City at the weekend, in which case I'll join them all in a Wetherspoons of their choosing and we can all sing Hi Ho Silver Lining or whatever.

• Upvote 3

Game was a flashback to what we already knew and a flash forward to what we might expect. Thankfully we bought Fabinho in summer if we are to lift title I suspect he will have a large part to play (whatever position). As mentioned in other thread kieta massive disappointment for me.

2 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

The attitude from Moreno and Sturridge in particular was enough to show that both should go in the Summer  

Moreno should go now. Change the locks and shut him out. He's an atrocious player, a weird midget of a fool who radiates stupidity everywhere and infects the whole team.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, niallers said:

There wasn't anything wrong with lovren. Klopp didn't want to get even more flak by starting a 16 year old so told lovren to feign injury early so that Hoever could come in. Keeps the young lad from getting nervous too. Genius from heir klopp

Wheres that from?

1 hour ago, Manny said:

Final word to Wolves fans - that's twice we've played them in recent weeks and they've been utter small-time, parochial, slack-jawed, Soccer Saturday-copying fucking cunts both times. Their team and manager seem to be really professional and likeable but they can take their sign on chants back into their backwater fucking town and fuck off down the leagues with their bent fucking agent mate with them*.

Amen. The fact that their captain is a Scouser seems to have escaped their attention. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Mignolet never saves a thing he's like the elastic guy out of the fantastic 4 who can bend his body away from bullets and missiles. 

Lost count how many times he’s been described a good shot stopper, utterly dreadful keeper.

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

Moreno should go now. Change the locks and shut him out. He's an atrocious player, a weird midget of a fool who radiates stupidity everywhere and infects the whole team.

He’s the kind of person who would high-five a widow at the funeral.

• Upvote 4