You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club Vs Liverpool Football Club, Football Association Cup Third Round

Dicko

Moreno was having probably his worst game today, looked like he didn’t want to be there!!

Jones was further back in the second half than he was

As for Origi and Sturridge, they need telling that movement is essential as a forward player in ANY team let alone ours.

Anyone in the club who was considering giving Danny a new deal needs to watch his 60 mins all over again and then have a strong word with themselves 

Centre half is a massive problem for us now

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

How many teams in the world get to take a little poke at the league and the CL?

Not many but our ambitions should be matching those of our peers. City, Chelsea and Tottenham still in all competitions.

We haven't won a trophy for 7 years and after dropping out of two very winnable cups at the first hurdle we've suddenly got everything riding on the big ones yet again.

I still think we've got every chance of holding our lead over City and are a contender in the CL as well, but I think another trophyless year would be far more damaging than people realise. A League or FA cup might not be glamorous but it would've got the ball rolling at least if we don't end up winning the other competitions, and give the big players some reward for their hard work. It shouldn't be a case of needing to throw these to have a shot at the higher profile cups.

• Upvote 3

Call me old fashioned, call me an hysterical fanny, point out how the cup 'means fuck all' etc etc etc...but....

I fucking hate the fact that Wolves fucking Wolves the nomarks wanted it more than us.

That their nomark manager wanted it more. That their players wanted it more and their fans wanted it more as well.

Maybe going out is a blessing and best for us long term....But I can never quite buy into the mentality that potential trophies are a bad thing. 

Maybe I am old fashioned and outdated but I grew up in an era where trophies were everything....where as a fan days out at Wembley or even the semis on neutral grounds were massive and highlights of the season following the boys.

That's how we built up our history, a history that is the envy of so many other clubs and is such a source of pride to us....

Tonight hurts me - seeing our great club dumped out of the cup at the first hurdle... Hopefully in May we will be able to look back and say how it was all worth it, but tonight it just feels shite....proper shite.

I do get the counter argument to how i feel - but i just can't buy into it fully....this football club is bigger and better than being fucked out of the cup at the first hurdle and fucked out seemingly not giving a fuck.

We have won two fucking trophies since 2005 for fucks sake...the worst return in our modern history - surely we shouldn't be jibbing off the cup - is it really impossible to put in a decent challenge for it and for the title/europe?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, stringvest said:

Just like against City, you see the side and you know we’re getting beat.  Both teams smelt of failure. 

Agreed. Except that type of team needed to be put out in this game. We just didn't get the luck of drawing Macclesfield Town or whoever the fuck every other big club get in this round. 

1 hour ago, DirkDiggledinho said:

I think another trophyless year would be far more damaging than people realise. A League or FA cup might not be glamorous but it would've got the ball rolling at least if we don't end up winning the other competitions, and give the big players some reward for their hard work. It shouldn't be a case of needing to throw these to have a shot at the higher profile cups.

Winning a league cup or FA cup makes very little difference anymore sadly.

Our priorities as a club are 1.Winning the league. 2. Winning the Champions League. 3. Finishing in the top four. 

We now have 17 league games and between 2 to 7 Champions league games left. So that means we don't need to rotate as much and will have plenty of time to prepare and rest inbetween games. 

I doubt Klopp gives even a single fuck about this trophy. Some of you losers are practically willing us to fail in the league. Can I remind you we’re four points clear at the top? We’re boss, this game means nothing in the context of what we’re aiming for this season. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, moof said:

I doubt Klopp gives even a single fuck about this trophy. Some of you losers are practically willing us to fail in the league. Can I remind you we’re four points clear at the top? We’re boss, this game means nothing in the context of what we’re aiming for this season. 

Some people are naturally more anxious than others and adopt pessimism as an anxiety-reducing mechanism. There's no malice or wanting the team to fail.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, skend04 said:

Some absolute weapons on here today. Gave the youngsters a run out, rested key players and got Lovren out of the way for the League. It's a win as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I love it when we get knocked out of domestic cup competitions, me. It's great watching Chelsea and city picking up trophies every season.  Feel like a right winner after that shitfest of a line-up and performance. Go us.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, an tha said:

Call me old fashioned, call me an hysterical fanny, point out how the cup 'means fuck all' etc etc etc...but....

I fucking hate the fact that Wolves fucking Wolves the nomarks wanted it more than us.

That their nomark manager wanted it more. That their players wanted it more and their fans wanted it more as well.

Maybe going out is a blessing and best for us long term....But I can never quite buy into the mentality that potential trophies are a bad thing. 

Maybe I am old fashioned and outdated but I grew up in an era where trophies were everything....where as a fan days out at Wembley or even the semis on neutral grounds were massive and highlights of the season following the boys.

That's how we built up our history, a history that is the envy of so many other clubs and is such a source of pride to us....

Tonight hurts me - seeing our great club dumped out of the cup at the first hurdle... Hopefully in May we will be able to look back and say how it was all worth it, but tonight it just feels shite....proper shite.

I do get the counter argument to how i feel - but i just can't buy into it fully....this football club is bigger and better than being fucked out of the cup at the first hurdle and fucked out seemingly not giving a fuck.

We have won two fucking trophies since 2005 for fucks sake...the worst return in our modern history - surely we shouldn't be jibbing off the cup - is it really impossible to put in a decent challenge for it and for the title/europe?

I would totally agree with you... except the Cup no longer remotely resembles what the competition used to be like - bar the trophy itself.

The epitome of its shitness these days is that getting to the final at Wembley isn't even special, because you play the semi there now too.  The semi finals in the old days where huge unique events in themselves - Hillsborough, Villa Park etc

I'm gutted we lost today, but sadly this ain't the Cup it once was.

Compare my heart break walking out of Villa Park in 1990 after Palace... and this Wolves game was a pre-season friendly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wanted us to win it. We are out so just forget about it now. One thing it highlights is our staggeringly shit lack of strength in depth. City would get to the final with their 2nd string. We need 2 players this January. A striker (Fuck Sturbridge off now on a free if needs be) and a Centre-Half. 

Oh and Hoever is fucking brilliant and arguably the best player in the league right now.