You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club Vs Liverpool Football Club, Football Association Cup Third Round

Dicko

8 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Exactly. Total lack of respect for the away fans and for the cup. If you don’t want more games don’t try to get a draw. We couof have had a mixed team with more senior players, a different approach and a different set up, a real training somehow.

that was painful to watch, It felt wrong, hard to explain....

I think by the way we were strolling around coming up to 90 minutes (and the silence of Klopp on the touchline), and despite Mignolet coming up for the corners, we clearly almost didn't want to score or at least weren't that arsed about making it happen.

I guess it's hard to be too gutted as it's not like it was a full-strength side undone by a mid-table team, extremely disappointed by our approach and attitude is more the feeling.

It's just going to put even more pressure on winning one of the two remaining trophies now. We best not be dropping any clangers or there's going to be a lot of questions to answer. I could see people complaining about this result a lot more in retrospect if Brighton pull something off at the weekend and panic starts to take hold.

12 minutes ago, Boss said:

The cups don't bring in any money. It's all about getting top 4 and going far in the Champions League to attract the best players. Not saying it's right, but that's what the top teams prioritise. 

True.

Be nice to draw a League 2 side at home once in a while though.

• Upvote 1

Very poor performance.

We didn't help ourselves with the lack of passing options and static movement of our attackers, especially in the first half, and though the likes of former first-choice players Moreno and Mignolet did nothing especially wrong, they carry the stink of failure that can only mentally hamper the players around them now. Sturridge was probably the worst player on the pitch, and he too carries the failings that Klopp has gradually shorn the first-team of. Origi, besides his goal and a bit of endeavour for a few minutes afterwards, looked utterly disinterested and clueless. Shaqiri did bugger all until the second half, and was unlikely to hit the woodwork with a great free kick.

Was Lovren injured in the warm-up or did he aggravate his hamstring in the opening minutes? If it was the warm-up, he should have told the coaches rather than play on and then force them into an early substitution. We'll have to see, but Klopp looked very displeased which leads me to think it was something that had occured prior to kick-off.

Milner was dropping too deep in the first half, and it gave little wiggle room to our centre backs if we lost the ball in midfield. One such situation led to the captain getting booked, and the other led to him losing the ball and us going 1-0 down. That was like Spearing in the Cup Final against Chelsea in 2012. A bad touch when composed pragmatism was required.

Keita was busy and showed some nice touches, but at other times was being bypassed in midfield or losing the ball in promising positions going forward.

Maybe it's best to talk about the debutants. Camacho worked very hard both defensively and going forward, but chose the wrong option on a few occasions or otherwise had his hands full tracking Wolves' wide player Jota. Jones really struggled in this game, unable to do anything when he got on the ball, and unable to provide an attacking outlet when we needed it. A tough night for the lad. Hoever though? He was probably our standout player on the night which is amazing considering he wouldn't have been expecting to get on the pitch, never mind after only 5 minutes. He never got bullied and always looked steady and composed on the ball. He was our one positive from a lacklustre and dispiriting evening.

We have a dreadful FA Cup record, and no trophy-winning record to speak of in well over a decade. At some point, we have to seize the initiative or we could become burdened by the label of also-rans.

• Like 1

Just now, Mark M said:

The more games city have the better. They’ll get through against Burnley for another match to cram into their fixture list.

Hopefully we can take advantage of having less matches to come. 

Unfortunately with their deep squad and quality backups I really don't think it'll affect them too much unless they have some really bad luck with injuries.

Our squad shouldn't be so thin that we end up throwing away 2 cup runs just so we can have a stab at the PL and CL.

• Upvote 1

Its far too make do and mend regards back-up for our front 3, so as spoilt as it is given their immense quality, the drop-off remains painful to endure.

Origi scored a cracking goal, but sending him and Sturridge out the same door Solanke took and bringing in an attacking player who can hit the ground running anything like Sturridge himself, Coutinho and Suarez once did in January really would be electric right now.

39 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

So the end result of all of that is that we have a weekend off at the end of the month (or February?) and miss out on an away trip to Stoke.

Get the lads down to Spain for a warm-weather training camp and put it all on the league run. Onwards and upwards.

Momentum is so much better than rest

If we went out with a strong team, and it was Virgil that got injured at the beginning of the match instead of Lovren, then you cunts would be rioting and calling Klopp a stupid twat for not playing a load of kids. 

You can't have it both ways. 

I thought Camacho was the pick of the youngsters but Hoever has promise. If Klopp promises me he will get rid of Mignolet and Moreno faster than a turd in a dishwasher I will give him my undying support. Sturridge was absolutely clueless and as bad as Origi was at least the lad has an eye for a goal. Fabinho did ok but when we play Mig and Moreno we are almost a Championship side. Oh,and yes we do need another centre half.

16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

You suffering from Fabinho Blindness there, Trumo?

Nope. He played as well as I thought he might given the bitty nature of the team. He'll be needed as a centre back for the next couple of weeks at least. I said Hoever was the one positive because he exceeded expectations.

25 minutes ago, Skaro said:

True.

Be nice to draw a League 2 side at home once in a while though.

Yep, you look at the three cup competitions this season and the opponents...pretty tough lot there. 

Again, a silver lining is that if you're not winning it, going out as early as possible is probably the next best result, from a pragmatic point of view. 

This club doesn't exactly need more 'good cup run' experience of late, does it? 

45 minutes ago, Boss said:

The cups don't bring in any money. It's all about getting top 4 and going far in the Champions League to attract the best players. Not saying it's right, but that's what the top teams prioritise. 

Not sure I agree with that really.  There's been the odd weird final winner, like Wigan and the Swansea v Bradford League Cup final, but it's mostly top teams who win the cups.