You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club Vs Liverpool Football Club, Football Association Cup Third Round

Dicko

The team for this should be:

Ice Bucket (GK)

Corner Flag (RB)

Training Cone (CB)

Shin Pad (CB)

Stanchion (LB)

Mannequin (LM)

Tea Lady (CM)

George Sephton (RM)

Left Linesman's Flag (LW)

Dave Usher (ST)

Right Linesman's Flag (RW)

I usually shout to go full strength in cups as want trophies...but we need to rest our best team after an intense period and to be ready for Brighton where we play before our rivals and have a chance to ask them the question again.

I'd go:

Mignolet

Clyne

Masterson

Lovren

Moreno

Henderson

Jones

Wijnaldum

Sturridge

Origi

Lallana

Fuck it - we are in a dog fight for title and we can't afford to lose any key players and we can't sustain a title tilt and europe and the cup.

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'm tempted to say fuck this competition off as we're in a title race, but two defeats in a row could really damage confidence. 

Half strength side, and a scrappy win please.

Half strength is worse because you’ll have important players at risk of a loss. By writing it off entirely it becomes a complete irrelevance to them.

Just now, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'm tempted to say fuck this competition off as we're in a title race, but two defeats in a row could really damage confidence. 

Half strength side, and a scrappy win please.

I do say fuck this competition. And if we rest all first choice players I dont really see that it’ll hurt our confidence if we loose.

Expect Wolves to field a weakened team as well, so we may well beat them anyway.

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Half strength is worse because you’ll have important players at risk of a loss. By writing it off entirely it becomes a complete irrelevance to them.

Fair point. However, by writing it off entirely you could place undue pressure on the players in the next league game, as you've effectively shown them you've sacrificed a cup run for that. 

8 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fair point. However, by writing it off entirely you could place undue pressure on the players in the next league game, as you've effectively shown them you've sacrificed a cup run for that. 

Thing is, it’s not an important competition to most players nowadays. Domestic cups have always carried comparatively little weight across most of Europe and it’s the same here now. We’re top of the league and still in the CL. I think the first team players would react to the sacrificing of an FA Cup run as they did to an understrength side exiting the League Cup - not noticeably.

If we lose with a second string and talented kids, it will be forgotten about. If we draw/lose with our usual team, then that can't be good for confidence.

Our team need a rest. Robbo, Virg and the rest of them looked exhausted at the end.Lets give them an extra few days off. If Origi, lallana or sturridge plays well, that could be important in the title run in, as you never know when they might be needed. 

Jones, masterson and one of the young goalies to start. Bobby duncan on the bench.

29 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Thing is, it’s not an important competition to most players nowadays. Domestic cups have always carried comparatively little weight across most of Europe and it’s the same here now. We’re top of the league and still in the CL. I think the first team players would react to the sacrificing of an FA Cup run as they did to an understrength side exiting the League Cup - not noticeably.

Again, fair points, and I can't really disagree. Obviously I'd still prefer not to have back to back defeats piling on the pressure, but I guess a loss for a second string side shouldn't affect the starting XI.

Amazing what one loss can do.

As much as the Cup sadly no longer matters, losing again could play with our heads... and even going a couple of rounds with some new faces would be beneficial perhaps.

I think we'll be a patchwork side and get through scrappily... working on the theory they won't knock us out twice in the space of 2 years.