You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2019

Elite

1 minute ago, Elite said:

ITV charging £19.95 for Eubank Jr v DeGale.

Anyone who pays for that needs their head testing. You could get one and a half Ardja brekkies for that.

When is that shit happening?

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

Sometime in Feb. £10 would have been pushing it.

It's shocking they can charge that amount but it must mean that people are paying it. More money than sense, some people.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

It's shocking they can charge that amount but it must mean that people are paying it. More money than sense, some people.

True. Unless people start to boycott it they'll keep doing it.

For a big world title fight then I'll grudgingly pay it but they are charging PPV for everything now it seems 

For an absolutely risible channel ITV hold nostalgic memories from when they used to show Eubank snr’s bouts live, with some of the best TV music ever in ‘The Big Fight’ theme.

Their attempt to break back into the market is absolutely baffling. It’s like some marketing pleb has honked cocaine for 5 days straight and started pitching ideas to his boss in a blind panic.

• Upvote 2

I'm staunchly opposed to the guy politically and I think he carries a significant amount of blame for the assholic superfight negotations with Floyd*, but we really have been privileged to watch Manny Pacquiao fight.

From the night he freely assaulted Barerra and left that All-time-great fighter in a heap to him destroying Hatton and 10 years later still kicking ass at the top of one boxing's deepest divisions - we have seen one of the top 20-30 guys to ever lace them up. 

Manny is 40-years-old and he doesn't even box full time for a living, anymore. He has another full time job, and he's the next presumptive president of an 80m+ populated country.

Put aside Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Cotto, De La Hoya. Just in the last 5 years, this fella has beaten the shit out of Jeff Horn, Jessie Vargas, Tim Bradley, Lucas Matthysse and Adrien Broner. Terrence Crawford and Errol Spence are widely regarded as being P4P fighters and they cannot come close to the level of opposition, that's how good he is.

*The Mayweather fight should have happened in 2010, and I will never forgive either fighter for the bullshit they pulled to stop it happening. We should have had our Ali-Frazier and instead of this once in a lifetime fight, we got primadonna cuntishness that has influenced an entire generation of Haymon fighters, evidenced by the chickenshit state of the welterweight division, god forbid anyone take on a real challenge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Agreed. It wasn't just who he beat, it was the manner of the victories as well. Stopping Morales twice. Stopping a prime Miguel Cotto. Making De La Hoya quit on his stool after coming up two weight classes. Sending Hatton into space. Beating a 180 pound Antonio Margarito until he was unrecognisable.

That 3 year period from 2008-2011 was so crazy. You could see the fear in the opponents faces as soon as they got hit by him. Their whole demeanor would change. World class fighters in their prime running to survive. It didn't even feel real. It was like watching a super hero beating the shit out of a normal man.

• Upvote 1

Fear is the perfect word, too.

My 1a and 1B in terms of favourite fighters are Holyfield and Erik Morales. They both perfectly exemplify what I love in the sport; athleticism, boxing craft, high ring iq, stamina and a willingness to engage. They would come in with the strategy and capability to box their way to a decision, but you hit them clean and that strategy was out the window and they were coming guns blazing after you. In the second fight against Manny, after 17 rounds of wild, iconic action, Morales retreated for the first time ever, and you could see his prime getting knocked out of him.

Then Manny went up 3 divisions and made Oscar De La Hoya quit. Then he hit Hatton so hard, watching it live, I honestly thought he was dead. Then he outfought Cotto over 4 rounds, before comprehensively outboxed him over the next 8.

He was built for this sport. The amount of money he's earned - well over 500m+ - the fact he has significant career prospects as the fucking President and his age - it is amazing that he still does this.

If he was your dad, you'd be having a quiet word asking, how many of these punks can you continue to humiliate? He'd reply with that massive grin on his face.

I got the Manny vs Broner fight as wrong as I got the Hopkins vs Tarver fight years ago.

At that time I thought Bernie was well on the slide and that Tarver had the style and the punch to cause him real problems. Hopkins didn't lose a round.

I thought Manny was on the slide enough for an operator like Broner to have the range and the style to cause the problems that Tarver didn't.

Manny won it clearly.

In coming weeks, look closely at my predictions and put your shirt on the other fella.

Of course I should've factored in that Broner is a real cunt who talks and walks way flashier than he actually is. And when it comes to actual guts, he's more of a shithouse than Tarver.

I also failed to factor in that Manny is a great, just like Hopkins.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Broner has got to be the most overrated fighter of the last 20 years. Isn’t he like a three weight world champion as well? Blows my mind. 

Four weight world champion, though they have all been for vacant belts and he's never beaten a champion for a belt.

I think it's down to his life outside of the ring as oppose to natural talent. The blokes a massive bellend.

14 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Fear is the perfect word, too.

My 1a and 1B in terms of favourite fighters are Holyfield and Erik Morales. They both perfectly exemplify what I love in the sport; athleticism, boxing craft, high ring iq, stamina and a willingness to engage. They would come in with the strategy and capability to box their way to a decision, but you hit them clean and that strategy was out the window and they were coming guns blazing after you. In the second fight against Manny, after 17 rounds of wild, iconic action, Morales retreated for the first time ever, and you could see his prime getting knocked out of him.

Then Manny went up 3 divisions and made Oscar De La Hoya quit. Then he hit Hatton so hard, watching it live, I honestly thought he was dead. Then he outfought Cotto over 4 rounds, before comprehensively outboxed him over the next 8.

He was built for this sport. The amount of money he's earned - well over 500m+ - the fact he has significant career prospects as the fucking President and his age - it is amazing that he still does this.

If he was your dad, you'd be having a quiet word asking, how many of these punks can you continue to humiliate? He'd reply with that massive grin on his face.

Erik Morales is my favourite fighter ever after Ali. That last round in the first Manny fight summed him up for me, the mad bastard.  

Jesus - that cut is horrendous. You really think it will stop him fighting again though? 

Has anyone seen or listened to Mike Tyson on Joe Rogan? Bit of a weird interview. My favourite bit was when Cus D’Amato came up in conversation, and instead of asking things about him and their time together, Rogan went on to tell Tyson what he was like for 10 minutes, based on never meeting him. Or when Tom segura talked directly to Rogan about Mike Tyson as if he wasn’t even there, while he sat and listened.

As an aside, best boxing podcast I’ve ever tried is Boxing Life Stories by Tris Dixon. Just asks questions and let’s the name talk him through their career. It’s great.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Elite said:

Probably the worst cut I've ever seen. I think we can safely say Badou Jack won't be fighting again.

IMG-20190120-WA0000.jpg

See what Baranchyk did to Yigit's eye in October?

efd3f7265bd5c57f99e8c8e608856df3.png

Baranchyk will be defending his world title against Josh Taylor May 18th in Glasgow. If we have just won the title the week before, there is a very good chance I will be somewhat compromised.