You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2019

Elite

Hearn earlier saying that its the last roll of the dice for Brook v Khan. Going to try and get it on for Spring next year. 

I think there is still a small amount of interest in it even though it should have happened a few years ago. If it doesn't happen by Spring no-one will be arsed. If it happens I will be hoping Kell destroys him. 

Having another fight would be mental enough if it’s against Eubank or someone else of their generation as has been touted for years. Having it against a 40 year old Sakio Bika is certifiable.

All that said, wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised to see Nigel knock him through the ropes. My favourite British boxer of all-time, I think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Having another fight would be mental enough if it’s against Eubank or someone else of their generation as has been touted for years. Having it against a 40 year old Sakio Bika is certifiable.

All that said, wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised to see Nigel knock him through the ropes. My favourite British boxer of all-time, I think.

I'm gutted I missed that era. Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins.

He's picked a tough opponent in Bika, he's not fought for a few years himself but he's as tough as they come and just the 15 years younger.

For the record, I'm in the Eubank camp over Benn.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm gutted I missed that era. Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins.

He's picked a tough opponent in Bika, he's not fought for a few years himself but he's as tough as they come and just the 15 years younger.

For the record, I'm in the Eubank camp over Benn.

Rare for that era, I used to love them both. The ideal foil for each other and just a pair of great characters individually who made the perfect dance partners.

Benn had that ingredient x though which, when he got the bit between his teeth, made for incredible fights to watch. Visceral fighter who would have had a scrap in a phonebox, as Reg Gutteridge memorably said during the GMan fight.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Rare for that era, I used to love them both. The ideal foil for each other and just a pair of great characters individually who made the perfect dance partners.

Benn had that ingredient x though which, when he got the bit between his teeth, made for incredible fights to watch. Visceral fighter who would have had a scrap in a phonebox, as Reg Gutteridge memorably said during the GMan fight.

I've watched the McClellan fight on YouTube, definitely wanted to kill each other.

Weren't all the fights on ITV as well? Like the perfect storm that, great characters fighting free on prime time TV.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've watched the McClellan fight on YouTube, definitely wanted to kill each other.

Weren't all the fights on ITV as well? Like the perfect storm that, great characters fighting free on prime time TV.

Yes mate, with this theme music.

We didn’t know we were fucking born.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Yes mate, with this theme music.

We didn’t know we were fucking born.

It's £20 now to watch Tyson Fury fight some nobody at 5am, with zero titles on the line. 

I do understand ITVs business plan though, they can pay a bunch of quilts to live on an island for a tenth of the price of a high profile fight for s month and they will get more viewers.

• Upvote 1

I very much enjoyed watching Naz fight; his ridiculous power, his skill and angles and also his suicidal defence made for electric fights.

Couldn’t stand him though as I just thought he was an absolute cock. So the Barrera fight, especially having watched all the build-up, seen what a cunt he was behaving like and known what was coming, but totally underestimated the degree to which it would happen, was beautiful.

Had about ten mates round my flat, huge smash-up, watched the fight and pretty much all of them were losing it at me because of how openly pro-Barrera I was. That and my repeated moonwalking round my front room as he got taken apart.

Great days. Used to love the bets you had with your mates over fights and the extra edge and spite it gave to it. That was one. The other was a mate of mine who was unbearably pro-Holyfield, and after the Tyson rematch I refused to pay up on the basis “the fight was voided”.

Disgraceful shithousery but well funny. He lives in Cyprus and I haven’t seen him in a good twenty years, but we spoke on Messenger a while ago and he brought it up with some bitterness almost immediately.

3 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I very much enjoyed watching Naz fight; his ridiculous power, his skill and angles and also his suicidal defence made for electric fights.

Couldn’t stand him though as I just thought he was an absolute cock. So the Barrera fight, especially having watched all the build-up, seen what a cunt he was behaving like and known what was coming, but totally underestimated the degree to which it would happen, was beautiful.

Had about ten mates round my flat, huge smash-up, watched the fight and pretty much all of them were losing it at me because of how openly pro-Barrera I was. That and my repeated moonwalking round my front room as he got taken apart.

Great days. Used to love the bets you had with your mates over fights and the extra edge it gave to it. That was one. The other was a mate of mine who was unbearably pro-Holyfield, and after the second Tyson fight I refused to pay up on the basis the fight was voided.

Disgraceful behaviour but well funny. He lives in Cyprus and I haven’t seen him in a good twenty years, but we spoke on Messenger a while again and he brought it up with some bitterness almost immediately.

Absolute prick of course but fuck me, what a fighter. 

Speaking of twats, Carl Froch has come out as a flat-earther today because of course he has.

‘The earth is flat, 100%. There’s no proof of the Earth’s curvature and this fake space agency NASA use CGI images and every one is different. ‘I’m looking at them thinking, “Hang on a minute, they’re like cartoons”. ‘When someone like Richard Branson goes up there and starts doing chartered flights… and you can look back on Earth and see the Earth’s curvature, I’ll believe the Earth is a globe.’