You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2019

Elite

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

There are worse heavyweights. Gorman will probably have the British title for a while when Dubois moves onto European/World level. 

Gormans a decent fighter, he was very poor tonight but he's by no means a bad fighter.

I just hope to god they never make Gorman v Hughie Fury, that'd be the stinker of all stinkers.

Yeah I can't imagine many do care. Boxing is just a night out for so many of the sky generation fans. But as we find out more and more about the effects of CTE and how quickly is actually happens I find it plays on my mind more and more. Especially as its kids and teenagers most at risk. 

It's all well and good not having much head contact but if you have been to a gym you know it happens. 

The podcast on Aaron Hernandez was very interesting. He was a NFL TE for the Patriots, went off the deep end and old gang ties etc, paranoia he murdered at least one person and suspected of others. Ended up committing suicide at 27 and when the checked his brain after death he had CTE level 3 out of 4. Now he only played 3 years at the pro level and stopped playing at 24. Now how much that caused him to do what he did we will never know, but we do know that he played from around the age of 8 and turned pro at 21,thats alot of damage. 

The next person they found with a brain in the same state as his was a 47 year old man

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/09/aaron-hernandez-cte-brain-damage-photos

Take 2

Posted this earlier on a Saints forum I post on. 

Wonder what people's thoughts here are

Just wondering if anyone has had second thoughts of letting their children/grandchildren play football.

I was listening to a multipart podcast on the Aaron Hernandez case. And while they did not make excuses for him being a murderer or try to blame it just on the injuries they did cover that his brain was scanned after he died and they found that he was level 3 of 4 on the scale they use. And this was a kid that had officially on had 2 concussions and was out of the game at 23.

Im not saying the game should be banned or anything as its personal choice at the end of the day. Just wondering how things are in the states with people pushing their kids into other sports?, stopping them playing tackle football etc.

Obviously there are lots of good things from playing sports and football.