You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2019

Elite

He has to win the rematch or he will really struggle to get anywhere near again, his opponents will lose the fear, bit like Tyson after losing to Douglas.

Having said that klitschko got banged out good style 2 fights in a row then came back to be undefeated for 10 years. 

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

He has to win the rematch or he will really struggle to get anywhere near again, his opponents will lose the fear, bit like Tyson after losing to Douglas.

Having said that klitschko got banged out good style 2 fights in a row then came back to be undefeated for 10 years. 

Lewis got filled in too and came back to be a great. It happens but yeah, he needs this rematch. Be a belter I reckon. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Lewis got filled in too and came back to be a great. It happens but yeah, he needs this rematch. Be a belter I reckon. 

Lewis lost to 2 single punch knockouts, didnt really get out fought like Joshua did. But yeah, the rematch should be good, will be interesting to see what happens when Ruiz lands his first clean hook.

On 06/06/2019 at 19:54, Bjornebye said:

Just watched it all back properly. 

Ruiz was brilliant. Fast as fuck for a fat bastard. Didn't back off apart from the dig that put him on his arse. Fought like a warrior and Joshua after being caught on the temple didn't want anything to do with an exchange. 

Have to say though, Joshua was acting like a beak-head at the end. Wouldn't put it past him being spiked at some point. Genuinely. His behaviour was weird as fuck. 

His Dad having a go at Hearn and Hearn shitting himself was funny but Joshua grabbing the microphone when Ruiz was getting interviewed made me skip back because it was the behaviour of a beak-head. 

I'm not suggesting he is one, just saying he was acting like something wasn't right in there. 

I'm just watching it now for first time,  and this may well be hindsight bias, but he did not look right at all in the ring walk or in the ring prefight.

I don't understand the plan to turn Joshua into Wladimir Klitschko. He's not a long fighter that keeps you on the end of his jab. His jab is very poor. He's more of a combination puncher that flourishes at closer range. He's better walking down opponents than fighting on the back foot.

McCracken's fighters never fought like Klitschko either, so I don't see why he's there. Froch wasn't a masterful boxer. He was the opposite. He'd often get outboxed comprehensively and then turn the fight into a war of attrition and win because of his toughness. It was his chin, conditioning and mental toughness that won the day, not his boxing ability. The plan doesn't make sense to me. He'd be better with Freddie Roach.

5 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't understand the plan to turn Joshua into Wladimir Klitschko. He's not a long fighter that keeps you on the end of his jab. His jab is very poor. He's more of a combination puncher that flourishes at closer range. He's better walking down opponents than fighting on the back foot.

McCracken's fighters never fought like Klitschko either, so I don't see why he's there. Froch wasn't a masterful boxer. He was the opposite. He'd often get outboxed comprehensively and then turn the fight into a war of attrition and win because of his toughness. It was his chin, conditioning and mental toughness that won the day, not his boxing ability. The plan doesn't make sense to me. He'd be better with Freddie Roach.

Spot on. First thing I thought after it was that he needs Roach in his corner. 

34 minutes ago, Boss said:

Probably worried that if they let him try and let him go toe to toe he isn't winning the biggest fights. He he trades with Wilder he loses 9 out of 10 fights. He he tries similar with Fury he loses as he's not KOing him. Probably thinking it saves him for blowing his lungs out inside 6 rounds too. 

He head movement has always been shite, as you say he isn't Lennox or Holmes in terms of dictating with the jab

• Upvote 1

Roach is a terrible idea IMHO. 

No way he can work the mitts properly with him.

What he needs isn't available anymore. 

He needs Manny Stewad. 

Jonathan Banks is the next best thing but he's Whyte coach and took over Wlad post Manny death. Still got a tune out of a old man Wlad who had he been a couple of years younger finishes AJ. He took over a few months before AJ and Whyte and look at the progress in Whyte over them 4 years. 

On 10/06/2019 at 17:26, Boss said:

I think you're being a bit harsh on Frochs'boxing ability. I don't disagree on your assessment of his toughness and granite chin. But he was a multi aba champion and won a commonwealth medal for England, he actually had a fantastic amateur career. 

I don't know if Joshua needs to completely reinvent himself, but he could do with getting more advice from his corner, certainly more than he got which was. "jab, jab right hand josh" 

That was fucking it. Terrible corner work by McCracken imo. 

12 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I think you're being a bit harsh on Frochs'boxing ability. I don't disagree on your assessment of his toughness and granite chin. But he was a multi aba champion and won a commonwealth medal for England, he actually had a fantastic amateur career. 

I don't know if Joshua needs to completely reinvent himself, but he could do with getting more advice from his corner, certainly more than he got which was. "jab, jab right hand josh" 

That was fucking it. Terrible corner work by McCracken imo. 

Yeah "keep busy keep busy" against someone being completely out worked and who is gassing from taking a hiding.... Shocking that. I think McCracken himself thought Joshua would just land big and it would switch the fight. If he had properly looked into Joshuas eyes he would have seen that he didn't want to be in there and had no answers. 

Apparently Joshua is easy to train as he just does everything hes told without question, it was quite telling to me when Joshua said "what should i do now?" between rounds.  Hes boxing by numbers, when he got in the shit against Vlad he was lucky that Vlad stood off him and that massive uppercut ended up saving him. I think he is Brunoesque, fine when plan A is working, fucked when it isnt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Apparently Joshua is easy to train as he just does everything hes told without question, it was quite telling to me when Joshua said "what should i do now?" between rounds.  Hes boxing by numbers, when he got in the shit against Vlad he was lucky that Vlad stood off him and that massive uppercut ended up saving him. I think he is Brunoesque, fine when plan A is working, fucked when it isnt.

I put his confusion down to being concussed tbh. Good point though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah "keep busy keep busy" against someone being completely out worked and who is gassing from taking a hiding.... Shocking that. I think McCracken himself thought Joshua would just land big and it would switch the fight. If he had properly looked into Joshuas eyes he would have seen that he didn't want to be in there and had no answers. 

Since the fight occurred all the pundits and "experts" have had their say on how Ruiz was overlooked. 

Yet the only one I heard before hand, give what turned out to be the best information on Ruiz was Joesph Parkers coach. 

The guy called it as clear as day. 

It nearly seems that nobody even looked at ruizs skillset, but just his pudgy exterior. 

Very amateurish 

41 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I put his confusion down to being concussed tbh. Good point though.

Were the rumours about him being knocked out in training around before he lost? The marketing and hype around him has been very slickly managed up until now, so i wouldn't put it past them to promulgate lies about him being concussed in order to minimize damage to the image of an awesome fighting machine that they've constructed around him.

I just think he's an average boxer who got found out against another average boxer with an awkward style. Brunoesqe indeed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Since the fight occurred all the pundits and "experts" have had their say on how Ruiz was overlooked. 

Yet the only one I heard before hand, give what turned out to be the best information on Ruiz was Joesph Parkers coach. 

The guy called it as clear as day. 

It nearly seems that nobody even looked at ruizs skillset, but just his pudgy exterior. 

Very amateurish 

They also overlooked his heart. Ruiz knew he had a bi chance of getting tombed up. He also probably knew it was his last realistic shot at something special. He went in to give his absolute everything. In the end he didn't eve need to do that. 

Bad move from Hearn. 

2 minutes ago, Byrnie said:

Spencer Oliver said Ruiz would win in the lead up to the fight too.

He said that about Pulev as well.

I may be wrong but he's a matchroom stooge, that gets told to go against the grain to give the fights some hype.