You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2019

Elite

21 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Joshua was staggering around like Joe Frazier against a prime George Foreman there after he was hit. I'd hate to see how he would react if Wilder connected with him. 

Joshua and Ruiz will have their rematch in November and AJ will clock him in 5 rounds.

That Wilder fight, though. I can't call it. AJ is much the better boxer, but Wilder's power is demonic and he believes in it every single second of the fight. He can lose 11 rounds in a row and still carry it. A true 50/50, in my view.

7 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Joshua and Ruiz will have their rematch in November and AJ will clock him in 5 rounds.

That Wilder fight, though. I can't call it. AJ is much the better boxer, but Wilder's power is demonic and he believes in it every single second of the fight. He can lose 11 rounds in a row and still carry it. A true 50/50, in my view.

Agree with all that. 

I'm really surprised at how underwhelming Joshua was in this fight, even before the knockdowns. Just didn't seem up for it at all. Ref was right to stop it when he did as I don't think he didn't know where he was for the last few rounds. 

2 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Agree with all that. 

I'm really surprised at how underwhelming Joshua was in this fight, even before the knockdowns. Just didn't seem up for it at all. Ref was right to stop it when he did as I don't think he didn't know where he was for the last few rounds. 

Just a bad night at the office, I think. Olympic gold medallist, world champ in 20 fights, it was bound to happen, eventually. He'll make it right in 4 months.

That doesn't make it any less amusing or make me wanna see Eddie Hearn reaction shots any less.

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Just a bad night at the office, I think. Olympic gold medallist, world champ in 20 fights, it was bound to happen, eventually. He'll make it right in 4 months.

That doesn't make it any less amusing or make me wanna see Eddie Hearn reaction shots any less.

I don't think it is a bad night at the office to be honest. That's the type of loss that sticks with a fighter. He got rocked by every combination Ruiz threw. His footwork was non-existent. His head was straight up in the air. He's always been prone to gassing anyway but his chin was very bad in that fight. The shots weren't particularly clean connects either. Most were partially blocked punches that still had a serious effect on him.

That's a Donald Curry / Adrien Broner type loss. Every fighter will know if they let their hands go now that they can hurt him. The whole aura around him changes after that. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't think it is a bad night at the office to be honest. That's the type of loss that sticks with a fighter. He got rocked by every combination Ruiz threw. His footwork was non-existent. His head was straight up in the air. He's always been prone to gassing anyway but his chin was very bad in that fight. The shots weren't particularly clean connects either. Most were partially blocked punches that still had a serious effect on him.

That's a Donald Curry / Adrien Broner type loss. Every fighter will know if they let their hands go now that they can hurt him. The whole aura around him changes after that. 

It was a beat down which is a lot different than a flash KO. Mentally it could break him but we'll see how he comes back from it in the rematch.

6 minutes ago, Boss said:

I agree, losing your shiny undefeated record can shake a guy to his boots.

Joshua is a thoroughbred, though. Olympic gold medallis, the man within 20 fights. It's not like we're talking about being in the middleweight or Superfly division either. He's not mixing it with really killers. Ruiz is an above average fighter, but nothing Joshua hasn't seen before.

He'll be considerably more cagey in the rematch, jab and grab, use his length and wait for Ruiz to overreach, throw that uppercut and Wembley will erupt.

Had tonight happened against, say, Wilder or Fury, I would agree with you. They've immediately exercised their rematch clause for a reason. Whatever one can say about AJ's team, Rob McCraken and Hearn are not stupid.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Agreed. I still think he - probably - has the tools, but he needs to forget the rematch and fuck off like Lennox Lewis did when he lost to McCall and come back to that level over the course of a couple of years. He should also look at shaking up his team but unfortunately for Joshua, there’s no Manny Steward-like figure who really stands out as being someone who could make the most out of him.

9 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I think he has more about him than Bruno ever had. I honestly think this was no more than a money move. AJ losing opens up all kinds of fights. At the end of the day it's all about selling fights these days and less about the actual boxers capabilities, in the heavyweight division anyway. 

That makes no sense in the long run. 

He will make loads in the rematch but they could have done him and Whyte and got the similar numbers in London. 

He wins the rematch and its back to them all avoiding each other asking for massive splits of the purse etc. Say what you like about Wilder but at least he seems to fighting the best thats out there bar the Joshua fight. If it goes as planned his last 6 will have been Stiverne,Ortiz,Fury,Breazeale,Ortiz,Fury

People talk about Joshua like he was ever a big puncher, he wasn't, not like Wilder or the real big hitters. Forget the first 15 fights of anyone careers that against fighters not in their class. Joshua knockouts come from combos or men being dead on their feet like Whyte or Wlad. His jab has never been great, it looked ok against overhyped Parker who has since been found out. His footwork has always been poor. This was why my money was always on Wilder in that fight. Wilder is ugly to watch but he has a gas tank and try staying away from that one shot for 12 rounds. If he caught AJ the way he caught Fury its over. 

Fury is the biggest winner last night

He may not hold a belt but he is without a doubt the best Heavyweight boxer around. 

Usyk wont get near him imho, he is just too small.

D

5 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Usyk is the best fighter in the world, in my opinion.

Yeah agree with that. I could watch him box all night. There isn’t a heavyweight out there good enough to lay a glove on him. Too elusive,too accurate,too good.

I agree Usyk is the best technically but he's 6in shorter, has a 7in reach disadvantage and around 2half stone lighter. Fury makes its ugly and wins for me. Don't think Usyk can hurt him. 

Love to be wrong 

13 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Audley Harrison was an olympic gold medallist. It means fuck all at professional level.

13 hours ago, J-V said:

Wonder what Joshua’s dad was acting the tit about? His Son getting found out.

Joshua was knocked out in sparring apparently. His dad wanted the fight called off so was blaming Hearn for the defeat.

Joshua is as good as done. He got beaten up badly and quit.

• Upvote 1

Just watched it all back properly. 

Ruiz was brilliant. Fast as fuck for a fat bastard. Didn't back off apart from the dig that put him on his arse. Fought like a warrior and Joshua after being caught on the temple didn't want anything to do with an exchange. 

Have to say though, Joshua was acting like a beak-head at the end. Wouldn't put it past him being spiked at some point. Genuinely. His behaviour was weird as fuck. 

His Dad having a go at Hearn and Hearn shitting himself was funny but Joshua grabbing the microphone when Ruiz was getting interviewed made me skip back because it was the behaviour of a beak-head. 

I'm not suggesting he is one, just saying he was acting like something wasn't right in there.