You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Holiday's 2019.

Bogman

Just now, Remmie said:

Not sure I go to the popular destinations plus I'd always recommend the cheapest option, not Tory enough to skim any money out of it! 

Yeah I don’t think Billy Brexit and his mob would take too kindly to you recommending a euro train adventure to Montenegro.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I was too. The Mrs had always wanted to go, but I loved it. I think the key is the line you go with. I think P&O and Cunard are supposed to be pretty stunning but with the Tui one it was like someone had just removed a Brits abroad (in the nicest possible sense) all inclusive resort with a laser and put it on the water. 

There was loads of kids too, they had a nursery and a kids club. I think you'd love it.

I reckon i’d be too tempted to lash my lad overboard when he’s acting the twat.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Are the tui ones laid back dress wise?

Yeah very much so, I'd dress smartish if we were at one of the restaurants but only decent jeans and a polo shirt, shorts most of the time. There's a 'dress to impress' evening where people put a suit on or their best shirt but it wasn't compulsory.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Going on a two week cruise.

Norway

Sweden

Denmark

Finland

Germany

Estonia 

Russia

We went on a week long one last August which went to:

Corfu

Venice 

Split

Dubrovnik 

Slovenia 

Montenegro

Never thought I'd like a cruise but it was a Tui one so pretty down to earth. Food, service and entertainment was flawless and some of the memories were surreal.

Sat in the indoor pool with a free corona looking out the window as we sailed out of Venice and all the small boats were waiving at us, or clubbing on the top deck at night in the med with the Mrs and seeing another ship out the window.

This upcoming one seems a good way to get a taste of Scandinavia without the expense of having to eat and drink on land or pat for accommodation. Gonna go the ballet in st Petersburg in a tux too.

I never had you down as a ‘cruise man’, Secsh. Indeed, you sound like a genuine convert. And after your misgivings I am glad you enjoyed it.

I imagined there wasn’t one of us sociable enough to survive such confinement with the same people for an extended period. You’ll detect that it’ d be my idea of hell on earth. Re Brownie’s post, in that situation I don’t know whether I’d be lashing fellow passengers or myself overboard 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Champ said:

I never had you down as a ‘cruise man’, Secsh. Indeed, you sound like a genuine convert. And after your misgivings I am glad you enjoyed it.

I imagined there wasn’t one of us sociable enough to survive such confinement with the same people for an extended period. You’ll detect that it’ d be my idea of hell on earth. Re Brownie’s post, in that situation I don’t know whether I’d be lashing fellow passengers or myself overboard 

Me too!

Thing is it's so big you don't see the same people twice. We were only at sea one full day so the rest of the week you're out and about. There's about four restaurants on it, outdoor and indoor pool. About six bars/clubs and a coffee shop. The one we're on next had a cinema too.

Our daily routine was to get the buffet breakfast then head to shore. Look around or do a tour, maybe two to three hours max. Then come back, have a buffet lunch then go to the indoor pool. It was called  the atrium and no kids allowed in the afternoon. You'd sit there reading or napping on the lounger getting waited on with free drinks and snacks, then take a dip or go in the Jacuzzi.

We'd stay for a few hours then back to the cabin, our for tea at one of the restaurants (most of them free) then drinks and a West end style show.

There was a lounge called the venue where they'd have bands on or game shows with more free table service drinks.

When it closed you could get late night food then go to the club, not too busy but a dj and any free drinks you wanted. 

Then the next day you'd wake up somewhere else. 

What was class was that the ship is always there so as soon as you've seen what you want it's back aboard.

The Mrs didn't like Venice because it was pushing 35 degrees and heaving (I loved it) but as soon as you're feeling like that you just head back to an air conditioned ship and a cool swim in the salt water pool followed by a light lunch and a cold beer. Superb.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Carradona said:

Is Cologne any good? Looking at four nights there in April. Added bonus of free accommodation. 

I’ve been a couple of times, not for a while though. Always enjoyed it, nice city, good nightlife. Try and watch the f******* while you’re there, tickets are easy to get, the stadium is cool and easy to get to on the tram. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Carradona said:

Is Cologne any good? Looking at four nights there in April. Added bonus of free accommodation. 

Yes, its lovely. Someone off here a few years back recommended The Corkonian too me for the football. Defo go and defo go up to the top of the gothic cathedral. You wont need to do leg day for a month. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ian Sea said:

I’ve been a couple of times, not for a while though. Always enjoyed it, nice city, good nightlife. Try and watch the f******* while you’re there, tickets are easy to get, the stadium is cool and easy to get to on the tram. 

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yes, its lovely. Someone off here a few years back recommended The Corkonian too me for the football. Defo go and defo go up to the top of the gothic cathedral. You wont need to do leg day for a month. 

Thanks. Defo want to get to a football game but Koln, Dortmund and Leverkusen are all away that weekend so will likely head to Monchengladbach.

The Corkonian sounds right up my street. 

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Looks like I’ve got 3 days off in Singapore.  Any recommendations? 

Was there in January, loved it.

Just wander around the centre is not that big, Raffles Hotel might still be under re-furb. You must go to Gardens by the Bay, just behind the hotel with 2 towers with a boat shaped structure spanning them, the light show in the evening is brilliant. To be fair the lights in and around the centre are spectacular too

• Upvote 1

Jaysus, I feel like a right peasant reading this thread. 

We're going to bloody salou. 

We've a 3 year old and we've will be a 6 month old nipper. So the exotic, exciting get aways are a thing of the past now. 

I think the most exciting part of my holiday will be whether tui rock up to Dublin Airport with one of those self destruct boeing 737's or not. 

• Like 1