You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Liverpool considering giving Sturridge a new deal

tlw content

Daniel Sturridge has learnt a lot over his football career, however his most valuable lesson would have been in the last 12 months when he realised that the grass is not always greener on the other side.  

In a football sense, the striker was in no-mans-land at this point of the season last year.

As a player who had a great deal of confidence in his ability, Sturridge felt a change of scenery would help kickstart a career well and truly at the crossroads.

The English international still had ambitions of being named in Gareth Southgate's World Cup squad, and with starting opportunities very limited at the Reds, felt the time was right to venture out on loan to West Brom.

It is fair to say that the move turned into a nightmare.

The 29 year-old who has had a catalogue of injuries in recent years, struggled to make it out onto the pitch for the Baggies, only making six appearances and failing to find the back of the net for the relegated Midlands side.

Widely seen as a certainty to be sold in the summer, Jurgen Klopp had other ideas, giving him another chance to prove himself.

Sturridge is someone whose body language is a tell tale sign of where his game is at.

The smiling, happy dancing figure constantly seen in his early days at the Reds, was replaced by a rather sad figure who it seemed did not enjoy being at the club.

However, knowing that he was still part of the managers' plans despite all what had transpired, Sturridge's change of attitude was evident from the pre-season.

sturridge1_600.jpg

A fitter, leaner Sturridge was desperate to prove the doubters wrong.

The smile and mojo was back, and so it proved on the pitch, scoring a goal in the first league game of the season against West Ham.

He has added three since including one of the goals of the season against Chelsea which preserved Liverpool's unbeaten record and could yet prove to be a vital point come May.

While he hasn't scored since that cracker at Stanford Bridge at the end of September, Sturridge has maintained a presence around the squad and importantly played a role when called upon.

For that reason, it is believed that the club are thinking about offering Sturridge a new deal when his current one ends at the end of the season.

The Mail reports that Sturridge has attracted interest from some top clubs in Europe including Sevilla and AC Milan along with big spending clubs in the Chinese Super League.

However both parties have no thoughts of parting during the January transfer window with Sturridge determined to play his role in helping the Reds claim a long awaited league title.

Barring a spate of injuries to the front three, the days of Sturridge being a consistent starter at the club are over.

However, a key element of having a strong and successful squad is making sure everyone is on the same page and willing to play a role.

If he can be happy in that role and continue to contribute valuable minutes while managing to stay fit, then a new deal is a smart bit of business for all concerned. 

View full article

• Upvote 2

If it means we don't have to waste around £40m on a striker like Timo Werner, surely this is a good thing. Right? 

The downside is the moment he signs it he will probably injure his fingertip and be unavailable for 70% of his contract. 

5 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Basic wage of £0 with a £40k appearance bonus.

I think there's more likely going to be a repayment plan - Wonga style - of all the money he has been paid. 

30 minutes ago, an tha said:

We'll offer him a deal he will turn it down because he will fancy a last decent signing on fee and inflated wage from some desperate mid table club like West Ham - and in my view that will be no bad thing.

There was an interview before the season started, where he said he was tired of playing for shite teams (I'm paraphrasing), and how he realised taking a lesser role at a club like Liverpool was better for him than fucking about in the abyss of the premier league. I think it would be good for both parties to get this done. 

19 minutes ago, Istvan Kosma said:

How would we be wasting money on Werner? 

With a fit and firing Sturridge blasting in goals for fun? Spending money on anyone else would be a waste of yacht money.

33 minutes ago, Istvan Kosma said:

How would we be wasting money on Werner? 

2 questions for you :

1 - Would Werner come here to sit on the bench or be a bit part player a la Sturridge ?

2 - Who do you drop out of the front 3 to slot him in, and why the fuck would you do it ?

3 hours ago, Horus said:

There was an interview before the season started, where he said he was tired of playing for shite teams (I'm paraphrasing), and how he realised taking a lesser role at a club like Liverpool was better for him than fucking about in the abyss of the premier league. I think it would be good for both parties to get this done. 

I can't agree.

We'll never get anything close to what we need if we are going to kick on from him - time to move on IMO.

29 minutes ago, an tha said:

I can't agree.

We'll never get anything close to what we need if we are going to kick on from him - time to move on IMO.

That's fair, but our forwards don't generally miss that much time, and nor would we want them to as they're so integral to what we do. Getting a better player who knows where his bread is buttered and is willing to accept scraps for playing time but who still has the abilty to make a difference in certain situations is a tough ask. If we're guaranteed to get better then I'd agree with you, but we've moved past the position where taking punts on Solanke and Origi should be our strategy.

Regardless of his extremely bad and unlucky injury history, which has robbed him of the pace he used to have, he still knows where the goal is, and has contributed this season when called upon, and had exactly the attitude you'd want from effectively a third choice striker.

Given we either need Brewster to emerge, or have another attacking option, if he was willing to accept a reduced deal based on being available for selection, and be happy to be a bit part player, I don't think there are too many players who can score goals in the premier league who we could find who would be better at being that squad player role. So yeah I'd consider it

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, etho said:

Regardless of his extremely bad and unlucky injury history, which has robbed him of the pace he used to have, he still knows where the goal is, and has contributed this season when called upon, and had exactly the attitude you'd want from effectively a third choice striker.

Given we either need Brewster to emerge, or have another attacking option, if he was willing to accept a reduced deal based on being available for selection, and be happy to be a bit part player, I don't think there are too many players who can score goals in the premier league who we could find who would be better at being that squad player role. So yeah I'd consider it

This. It would have to be less wages of course. Surely Daniel knows we wouldn’t pay him the same now?