You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (a) 3/1/2019

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Completely agree with this. I think City's recent poor form is making a few people forget how good they are. We lost this fixture 5-0 last season. You underestimate them at your peril.

I am expecting a defeat, and anything more than that is a bonus, but the truly great thing is that a month ago I was thinking we would need something from this game or our season was effectively over. Whereas now we could lose this game, and still be 4 points clear.

My concern is what a loss does to our confidence in the league - City have been there, won the it. They know they have it in them whereas there is no such reference point for our players. Same for the rest of the league - there’s a tendency for sides to let themselves be mentally beaten by the dominant team of the day. A win for City, proven champions, confirms their recent lapses as a blip and perhaps suggests to the rest of the league that we were just a normal side on an excellent run.

I’d be absolutely ecstatic with a nil nil result. A clean sheet and no points gap reduction.

Is that fantasy? More than ever this season we’ve shown how strong we are at the back. However, City are capable of scoring one, possibly even two against us.

I’m confident that we’re just as capable too, so, 2-2 it is then. Happy with that.

47 minutes ago, Bernard Diomede said:

I think a defeat tomorrow would spark a really positive reaction from us. 

My bigger worry would would be if we lost a real home banker as I think that may allow for more self doubt to kick in. 

I’d argue that a loss tomorrow would raise our intensity level even higher. 

I'd rather not find out tbh.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Starting to brick it now

I am and all mate, simply because we have looked unstoppable. Bonus is that after this match we have 5 very winnable league games before Utd away. Thats still winnable but you don't know what sperm head has done with them. City have got 3 easy games then a run of arsenal, chelsea then everton (a) in the league. That little spell could be a big decider come May. If we win or draw great, if we lose (and its not a 6 nil twitting) then there is no need for panic. You expect to lose at City. Anything else is a bonus. 4:1 Reds. 

Biggest league game of the modern era, Chelsea 2014 aside, of course that's discounted with hindsight, fuck me that was horrendous I'm still in pain from that. We are great against City usually, even in games we've not won we play at such a high level. They are going to have moments, as theyre a fantastic team, first goal is so important here. If we can weather the intial strom they'll begin to start doubting themselves, absolutely essential we get the first goal. Going to go 1-1. Mane for us.

Me ever being the optimist I just can't see us beating them at the etihad. But to be 4 points ahead of them after playing them home and away I'd of bit your hand off for that at the beginning of the season. Fortunately our manager and players have bigger bollocks than me.

Even knowing this I've got jitters.  They really are a brilliant side but seems we are too.

If this game was at Anfield II think we'd take them all day long but at their place it's going to be a tough ask.

The one thing I hope is that we play we'll as i think they're going to come out flying and hit us with everything like in the Champions League , if we can withstand that and get to half time still in the game then we've every chance .

• Upvote 1

Against United it was Shaqiri doing the damage with 2 goals. 

Against Arsenal it was Firmino with 3 goals. 

Against City? Mane and Salah to grab 2 goals each. 

33 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Dean Saunders thoughts on the game...."It's like Haye v Bellew , two great heavyweights who both have the ability at any moment to knock the other one out" 

That's a thinker regarding which pudding you'd want Liverpool to be

In the context of the heavyweight division, Haye vs Bellew in 2018 was more like Everton vs Everton.

• Upvote 2

Whilst some may be forgetting how good City are, others are forgetting how good Liverpool are. The team that lost 5-0 isn't the same team and if we lost Mane, we have more options to influence the game even with 10 men. 

City are approaching this with the intent to close the gap. We've weathered this approach before when they penned us in our half in the CL. Confident that if we turn up, we'll beat these 3/4 goals to 0. 

Liverpool's Away Form:

Wolves: W

Bournemouth: W

Burnley: W 

Watford: W

Arse: D 

Goal Stats: 31% 1st Half vs. 69% 2nd Half

Average: 2.60 goals/match

Most likely to concede: 81-90th minutes (25%)

Overall Form: 

Form - Excellent / 2.60

Scored - Very Good 2.10

Conceded - Excellent 0.50

City's Home Form:

Palace: L 

Everton: W

Bournemouth: W

United: W 

Southampton: W 

Goal Stats: 50% 1st Half vs. 50% 2nd Half

Average: 4.40 goals/match

Most likely to concede: 31-60th minutes (19%) 

Overall Form: 

Form - Excellent 2.35

Scored - Excellent 2.70

Conceded - Very Good 0.80

Head-to-Head Form (H vs. A): 

Manchester City: 3 wins

Liverpool: 9 wins

5 draws. 

---

Looking at the stats you could argue it's likely to be either a draw or a Liverpool win. Unless City take the game away from us before HT or towards the end of the game.