You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (a) 3/1/2019

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

It casts a big shadow on Keita's form this season that he, as one of our most expensive outfield signings in history, is not nearly close to knocking on the door for these games. In an ideal world he's really the one that comes in for Oxlade vs. the team last season.

That’s what I’m most worried by if I’m honest. Carra on Twitter is almost throwing in the towel with regards to 4-3-3. Dropping that formation means giving up on Keita IMO. 

17 minutes ago, DirkDiggledinho said:

Yep and they have already lost to two of those said "easy" teams.

Can't see it happening again unless Fernandinho gets another injury. 

13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I’m still so annoyed by the last two minutes where we kept hoofing the ball into the box aimlessly. Robbo, Hendo and Lovren. Shite ball after shite ball. 

Spotted Virgil going apeshit at somebody right at the end for playing him a shite ball. Warrior fighting til the end. 

Guest Alex_K
2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

That’s what I’m most worried by if I’m honest. Carra on Twitter is almost throwing in the towel with regards to 4-3-3. Dropping that formation means giving up on Keita IMO. 

Carragher is sensationalist - but there must be an element of concern. Obviously its a tough feat to break into a side that has been performing like we have, but Keita has paled compared to what we thought we were getting. Hopefully he kicks on second half of season.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

So knee jerk your leg might as well fall off you absolute raging whopper. A maddeningly narrow 2-1 away defeat against a 100 point league winning team playing for their lives. At 1-1 we were well back in the game barring a great finish from Sane and Salah not replicating his chance at the other end. Shake your head.

Agreed. Just keep in touch with them that's all we've needed to do and that's what we've been superb at so far. This is the best first half of a league season in our history, if I'm not mistaken.

4 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Spotted Virgil going apeshit at somebody right at the end for playing him a shite ball. Warrior fighting til the end. 

I think he was going apeshit at everyone of them. They all had two goes each, and he didn’t get one decent ball.

6 minutes ago, Aventus said:

He was pissed off Lovren hoofed it straight up the park, in stead of playing it wide to allow an angle for the cross.

3 minutes ago, Aventus said:

They also lost to Chelsea with him in the team.

City actually aren't the youngest team in certain key areas, and with the intensity that they play with that probably means more injuries - him, Silva and Aguero have all been out of periods of the season.

Factor in that KDB can't stay fit, Jesus isn't fit to lace Aguero's boots and their left-back problem and there's definitely chinks in the armour. It depends a bit on luck but I think they're far from invincible.

TAA was a definite weakness but how else will he progress unless he regularly plays in these types of games? Ideally he is brought on later to gain that experience but we still don't have the true depth we need in that position.

Was Clyne injured ? I think he would have provided more stability and nullified their attacking threat down that side. Fab could have mopped up there too. Henderson is like a shadow who is scared of himself. His constantly shitting it and then pointing is a particularly annoying sequence of events to have to witness on a regular basis.

However, even though the momentum is with City tonight, we still have a four point lead. A real sickener of a game though. Could so easily have gone the other way. 

52 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Very deflated after that, was sure we could nick the win. And if not for Lovren we probably would have. At least some of the problems in the team have been highlighted again. Don't play a midfield of Gini, Milner and Hendo again. It's crap. Mix it up, we have Keita, Fabinho and Shaq, put them in there. Lovren showed why he's 4th choice. Decent against crap sides but totally exposed against good teams. TAA is talented and full of potential but he's not yet good enough to compete against the very best. Not yet, but one day he will be.

We've got the toughest game of the season out of the way, and we're still 4 points clear. So it's not all doom and gloom, hopefully Gomez is back asap and we don't let this hurt our confidence, we can bounce back and put together another good run.

We’re nearly there a bit more depth to replace Lovren, Henderson and (for now) TAA, Keita has been a big disappointment so far and whilst he may come good I do think the cheque book needs to come out.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

I genuinely didn’t think Trent was bad. 

He gave the ball away an awful lot. He's capable of doing some fantastic stuff but the defensive tightness Robertson has isn't there at the moment IMO.

Think he can get away with that vs less powerful teams but in a very close game against quality players it can be taken advantage of.

Physically he needs a little bit more muscle and a bit more game experience and he can be a monster. Definitely wasn't at his best tonight though but Lovren way worse. Probably doesn't help to have Mr L right there on yor shoulder creating chaos. 

4 minutes ago, DirkDiggledinho said:

He gave the ball away an awful lot. He's capable of doing some fantastic stuff but the defensive tightness Robertson has isn't there at the moment IMO.

Think he can get away with that vs less powerful teams but in a very close game against quality players it can be taken advantage of.

Yeah he’s not as good a fullback as Robertson, but no one is this season. I didn’t think Trent was particularly bad. Lovren was poor and all our attackers were poor too I thought, including Shaq when he came on.

As already mentioned, the hope would be city's older stars pick up a few knocks. Fernandinho, david silva and aguero would be massive losses to them. Still a fabulous team but they would be blows to them nevertheless. I really hope City (and spurs) go far in the cups and europe.

Souey was great tonight. No bullshit talk. Just re-iterating what a good side we are, while carra was flapping around.