You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (a) 3/1/2019

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Yeah he’s not as good a fullback as Robertson, but no one is this season. I didn’t think Trent was particularly bad. Lovren was poor and all our attackers were poor too I thought, including Shaq when he came on.

I don't think anyone had a terrible game including Lovren, it's just that against a team this good mistakes are amplified and you have to play almost perfectly, it's such fine margins.

If we put that performance in against most other teams in the league we would have probably won 2 or 3 nil. The standard is gash this year and there's very few players in any other team capable of the finishes and general play Aguero and Sane showed tonight. Maybe Hazard and a couple at Spurs but that's it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, DirkDiggledinho said:

He gave the ball away an awful lot. He's capable of doing some fantastic stuff but the defensive tightness Robertson has isn't there at the moment IMO.

Think he can get away with that vs less powerful teams but in a very close game against quality players it can be taken advantage of.

He certainly wasn't alone in giving the ball away needlessly. In a lot of instances, either the control or passing just want there. To single TAA out on it is a little unfair in my opinion.

Just now, Sweeney287 said:

He certainly wasn't alone in giving the ball away needlessly. In a lot of instances, either the control or passing just want there. To single TAA out on it is a little unfair in my opinion.

I think he was probably gave it away the most based on what I saw. But even in the Arsenal game we misplaced a lot of passes, they're just such a frail team defensively it didn't matter and we overpowered them. That was never going to be the case against City.

5 minutes ago, DirkDiggledinho said:

I think he was probably gave it away the most based on what I saw. But even in the Arsenal game we misplaced a lot of passes, they're just such a frail team defensively it didn't matter and we overpowered them. That was never going to be the case against City.

He was getting the ball as the last option off Lovren too many times. Salah does not drop deep enough and Henderson is not effective showing to break the lines.

3 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Trent is inherently lazy.  His autopilot is to stop and watch.  He does it all the time and I can’t believe nobody picks up on it.  He’s also slow as fuck which isn’t great for a full back especially at that age because he’s not going to get quicker.

You must be watching with your eyes closed.

• Upvote 1

Avoided diving in straight after tried to give it some time before adding thoughts.

Frustration is the overriding feeling for me.

We seemed to show them a bit too much respect early in game - Scared to over commit and it led to us as a team who play at best on front foot caught in a weird inbetween state ... once the shackles came off we looked more like ourselves but one move and finish did for us after we had fought our way back.

They have learned from last season a lot versus us we need to learn from this too.

I thought they showed incredible, intensity and hunger and desire - it is easy to forget how good they are and they were wounded animals tonight, hell bent on proving what they are.

But we are close to them as a team - very close and even after a kick in the bollocks tonight we are 4 pts ahead of them - we can point to the 11mm, the post, the other goal line clearance but ultimately we lost the battle tonight - the war goes on....we are up against terrific opposition and it is going to take an unbelievable effort, but this team of ours is a good team, a very good team and it is all to play for.

Mate of mine said tonight "imagine if we had gone there just a point ahead tonight and if they won we'd fall two behind but if we won we'd be four ahead, we'd be buzzing to go 4 ahead"

OK we all know that wasn't the situation but it puts into perspective where we are....first loss of season in 21st game and it took the team who broke all sorts of records and are reigning champions and were at home to do it....and it was tight, very tight.

The race starts in earnest now - very much game on.

But that frustration is nagging away at me - wish we were playing in league on Monday - next Saturday feels a long way off, when we play before City and Spurs - let's get back on the winning trail and ask them the question again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I have a feeling this won't be the last time we play City this season. 

Let's hope we learned something tonight if that's the case.  As Kompany said, they played with heart - they had intensity and tenacity and made their own luck at times.  I hate saying Liverpool were outfought as usually we are intense.

15 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

You must be watching with your eyes closed.

I don't want to sidetrack the City discussion into one about Trent, but I think he has a point.  I wouldn't call it "laziness" but he has a flaw.  Trent DOES stop and watch instead of being proactive in defensive situations.

No question he is still developing, and hopefully this can be addressed.  Going forward he is formidable.  Defending, there's still good room for growth.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Avoided diving in straight after tried to give it some time before adding thoughts.

Frustration is the overriding feeling for me.

We seemed to show them a bit too much respect early in game - Scared to over commit and it led to us as a team who play at best on front foot caught in a weird inbetween state ... once the shackles came off we looked more like ourselves but one move and finish did for us after we had fought our way back.

They have learned from last season a lot versus us we need to learn from this too.

I thought they showed incredible, intensity and hunger and desire - it is easy to forget how good they are and they were wounded animals tonight, hell bent on proving what they are.

But we are close to them as a team - very close and even after a kick in the bollocks tonight we are 4 pts ahead of them - we can point to the 11mm, the post, the other goal line clearance but ultimately we lost the battle tonight - the war goes on....we are up against terrific opposition and it is going to take an unbelievable effort, but this team of ours is a good team, a very good team and it is all to play for.

Mate of mine said tonight "imagine if we had gone there just a point ahead tonight and if they won we'd fall two behind but if we won we'd be four ahead, we'd be buzzing to go 4 ahead"

OK we all know that wasn't the situation but it puts into perspective where we are....first loss of season in 21st game and it took the team who broke all sorts of records and are reigning champions and were at home to do it....and it was tight, very tight.

The race starts in earnest now - very much game on.

But that frustration is nagging away at me - wish we were playing in league on Monday - next Saturday feels a long way off, when we play before City and Spurs - let's get back on the winning trail and ask them the question again.

Exactly. We were beaten by a top team. We have had a great season though and i don't see any reason why it can't continue. As you say, we need to keep asking them and spurs the hard questions. 

We pretty much have the same run in as city. You could argue their's is slightly harder.

For me, it's crucial that we don't slip up again before going to the other mancs. 5 wins on the bounce in the league with a few potential banana skins out of the way like west ham and brighton away and even palace at home. That united game will be horrible and one i hate anyway let alone this time. Would be nice if arsenal got some bottle for once and got a result against spurs/city when they play them. 

I'm confident city could draw twice with chelsea and spurs, though if i'm honest i think we will too.

Too many of our passes tonight were under-hit, allowing the City press to be more effective. Couple this with some poor decision making at the back when trying to simply retain possession, meant needlessly putting ourselves under pressure, leading to a rushed pass forward or clearance that went straight to a City player. Again, playing into their press.

All of this, the finest of margins of luck against us, a ref avoiding giving a red and the joy down our right-hand side tipped the scale in favour of the champions at their own ground, chasing a team 7 points ahead of them.

They’re still chasing, we’re still 4 points ahead, it’s in our hands.

35 minutes ago, razor said:

Let's hope we learned something tonight if that's the case.  As Kompany said, they played with heart - they had intensity and tenacity and made their own luck at times.  I hate saying Liverpool were outfought as usually we are intense.

I don't want to sidetrack the City discussion into one about Trent, but I think he has a point.  I wouldn't call it "laziness" but he has a flaw.  Trent DOES stop and watch instead of being proactive in defensive situations.

No question he is still developing, and hopefully this can be addressed.  Going forward he is formidable.  Defending, there's still good room for growth.

Yes, I would have agreed to say that he isn't always the quickest to react.  As would be expected from a young defender lacking a bit of experience.  He also is prone to attempting a bit too much with the ball at times. 

However, "he should have been dropped a long time ago", is "inherently lazy", "offers nothing other than an being a half decent striker of the ball", and is "slow as fuck".

I mean, come on, those observations are from someone with half a brain.

And not the good half.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Sat here, glass half empty, rolling up bogeys and flicking them into the fire. My life fucking sucks..

Honestly mate, don't do it to yourself, wasting them by flicking them into the fire won't solve anything. There's hundreds of uses for bogeys and you, CD, you can do better than this.

Far too negative tonight I thought, passing between the back four far too much like they were playing for time, passes  onto the back fooot instead of front, back, sideways passing. We couldn’t deal with their press. No one in our midfield had any composure or was comfortable in possession. Midfield was shite. Hendo, and I like Hendo, but he’s been shite this season, Fabinho deserves to start, his stats this season compared to Hendo will tell you as much. We all knew our midfield last season was the weak link. That’s why we spent big money on Keita and Fab. To go into that game with that midfield was a big mistake for me.I can understand why he did it,tried and trusted and all that, but that was at pressing the fuck out of the opposition, we didnt/don’t do that anymore, Fab should be a starter, really need to to get Keita upto speed. We have a very good back 4/5 world class front 3 and an average midfield.  Games are won and lost in the midfield at the highest level and ours is average. 

######im pissed

• Upvote 1

At least I'll be able to get stuff I need to do around the house this morning - Sky are showing much much more of our game and after chat than they ever did when we had all those wins. I won't be able to stomach much more of this!