You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (a) 3/1/2019

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Fernandinho’s great. He’s as important to them as Van Dijk is to us. 

He was man of the match by some distance.

Still, with the exception maybe of Henderson, I don’t agree our midfield was that bad. They didn’t manage an attempt on or off target for the first 27 minutes. We had more shots on target, and I’d say more chances, over the 90 minutes. It was very even, and the small margins went their way. And of course Kompany should’ve walked.

10 minutes ago, Hades said:

We'll lose away to United and draw with Everton, Spurs and Chelsea. Tonight was the chance. City back in pole position. I can even see us going on a losing run now. 

Agree it's a gigantic blow. We will drop points, but we currently have some insurance. We won't drop points in all those games. City have tough games coming also so they will drop points as well.

We need to keep our hands on their throat and not giving them anything in the next few weeks. That starts at brighton. 

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

Fabinho had good couple of games but looked shakey against Arsenal under pressure I thought. Perhaps Klopp thought he’d struggle with the intense pressing City are known for.

That's what I was thinking myself.

Too cautious, I think Klopp doesn't trust Baby Keith to keep hold of the ball but Fabinho should have defo started. Three workhorses won't open up a decent side like Man City. 

Let's hope this is the bad game where we get punished which we've thought would happen for a long time.  Brighton, Palace and Leicester next in the league. Let's not let it derail our fucking season. 

one loss and people seem to be able to predict our future results based on what has gone on before. If you genuinely can let me know as I could do with winning a bet now and then. 

And others seem, unbelievable I know, to be almost in an “ I told you so mood “ 

it will be great when we lose more, more excuses to moan. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

How did we not “show up”? We did, but we just lost the game e.g., We had more of the ball than them, and they had to score two good goals, but we could’ve also had a couple more. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1285074/Live/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Manchester-City-Liverpool

Seriously, stop watching games through crap stats sites. They bossed the midfield.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

Fabinho had good couple of games but looked shakey against Arsenal under pressure I thought. Perhaps Klopp thought he’d struggle with the intense pressing City are known for.

I think that's exactly the case. But regret - at least in retrospect - that Klopp wasn't brave enough to persist with him...

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

How did we not “show up”? We did, but we just lost the game e.g., We had more of the ball than them, and they had to score two good goals, but we could’ve also had a couple more. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1285074/Live/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Manchester-City-Liverpool

ive never seen that site before so im probably missing it.

But does it have the number of fouls committed all night?

It seemed to me them fucks just fouled and fouled nd fouled, 

7 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He was absolute dogshit.  It seems to completely go over everyone’s head every game he plays.  As soon as the player he’s up against or the ball itself goes past him that’s it he’s done until the ball goes dead.  Watch him for the goal it’s a prime example of it.  He just walks around watching the ball like a school kid which is exactly what he is.  We cannot carry that sort of braindead attitude.  If he gets back in position then Aguero doesn’t have the space to score the goal but fuck it who cares Lovren will get the blame and everyone will forget about me.

...and to be clear since I've just eviscerated Lovren, 'absolute dogshit' is a bit stronger than I would have gone for but yes, TAA was poor tonight.  I think he gets more of a break because he's a young lad, very talented but still learning and he's at a point where he's not going to learn how to defend against players like Aguero by hacking his way through a season on loan somewhere, plus we'd need to get a right back in because I don't want to see Gomez playing there as long as Lovren has a contract with us.

Lovren though is 29 with 50 international caps.  What's his excuse?  Apart from being absolute dogshit I mean.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, RoboRiise said:

Fuck it.  Hard to be too angry because even a week before Christmas I'd have bit your hand off if you'd offered me being 4 points clear on the other side of the City game.

That midfield is what really fucked us, I have no idea what Klopp thinks three meat and potatoes mids give us but it negates the best part of his side; playing on the front foot and keeping the pressure on, whilst simultaneously failing to stifle the opposition which I have to assume is the intention.  It's especially amazing when you consider City have wobbled when teams have got at them which is what I assumed we'd do.

Lovren is a waste of space though.  I'd rather see VVD with a tailor's dummy on wheels attached to his waist than watch that dismal fucker doze off for three seconds at a time, I mean does he have fucking narcolepsy or what?  There are days when life is beautiful, then I remember that he plays for us and I'm like Johnny Nice Painter from The Fast Show.  I can't stand the sight of the fucker.  He's under contract until 2021 and if I won the lottery I'd pay it up myself.  He's an accident waiting to happen.

Commentator made a point at the start that (Allison aside) this was last season's side.

Those 3 as a trio are not the way forward.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Fuck it.

Four points clear at the top. I'll take that.

Agree however prior to the game we were in dreamland and a win tonight would have surely put it beyond City, unfortunately we couldn’t take this massive opportunity and City are favourites now, a devastating defeat.

7 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I hate to be an absolute negative nelly, (which admittedly i can be). 

But id tend to agree with you here. I just think when it mattered we didnt show up, kind of like the champions league final. 

Maybe its the fact we've gone so long since winning the league, or every time it looks like we might just break our duck we fall at the final hurdle, much like Gerrards infamous slip.

This to me feels the same, I really thought we'd do these tonight, go 10 points clear and really go and claim it.

Now, fuck, i dont know......

Oh FFS, what a load of rubbish. We're 4 points ahead of them.

Yes we may drop points in all of those games and City may win every single remaining game. If that happens it'll be an incredible run and fair fucks to them they will deserve it.

But like I said back here in reality we're 4 points ahead, and City have already lost to Leicester and Palace.

All to play for, and I think we've shown on our performances so far we have to talent in the squad to win it. Nothing to panic about.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I think that's exactly the case. But regret - at least in retrospect - that Klopp wasn't brave enough to persist with him...

Yeah I agree. I’m not the biggest fan of the midfield combination. Last year when we had Ox in the mix it had a good balance with two of the three. But all three on the pitch at the same time just not very inspiring.

5 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Every single opponent targets him. Which doesn't mean he's bad. But does suggest he's perceived as a weakness (in an otherwise strong defence).

Frankly, I think right back is our weakest starting position.

As you say he gets targeted.  The amount of attacks on that side is not a coincidence but as you say that can and will put more pressure on him but they aren’t the things I’m most worried about.  It’s those moments when the ball starts breaking around the box or he needs to track back he just stops and he does it every single time.

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

Agree however prior to the game we were in dreamland and a win tonight would have surely put it beyond City, unfortunately we couldn’t take this massive opportunity and City are favourites now, a devastating defeat.

Except it wasn't, a win here was always going to be very difficult to get. Disappointing we didn't get a point but with their quality a defeat is hardly a shock.

And given that we're 4 points ahead in 1st and this is our only defeat so far, I think you could reasonably say we are still the favourites.

20 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Fernandinho’s great. He’s as important to them as Van Dijk is to us. 

Yeah it's no coincidence that they lost a few games while he was injured, I was gutted when I saw he was training again. 

Would have been an incredibly different game tonight if he'd been out still. 

7 minutes ago, Skaro said:

Commentator made a point at the start that (Allison aside) this was last season's side.

Those 3 as a trio are not the way forward.

The CL final had Karius in goal. Other than that, we had the same starting XI.