You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Dec 22-28 2018)

tlw content

I’d be happy if we played on Friday night every week. There’s nothing better than laying down a marker and then watching your rivals try to respond…. and fail miserably.

City have really not responded well to being behind have they? The once invincible juggernaut that was being lauded by many as the greatest team in English football history has been brutally exposed over this Christmas period. Exposed by Roy Hodgson of all people.

Palace had drawn four and lost 19 of their last 23 combined visits to City and United. Incredible statistic that. A Manchester based record that bad usually has Mick Hucknall on vocals. As far as shock results go this is up there with anything we’ve seen in recent years. City then following it up by losing at Leicester was an added bonus, but I’ll get to that in due course.

The strangest aspect of it all is they had the lead in both games and blew it. You don’t see that often. Usually they go ahead and then that’s all she wrote. 

Gundogan headed them in front against Palace and they looked to be on their way to a typically easy home win, but Palace pegged them back immediately as Schlupp made room for a shot and then drilled it across Ederson into the far corner. Dreadful from Kyle Walker though who had himself a proper Jon Walters of a day.

A minute later Walker conceded a foul after being skinned by Zaha and when City didn’t clear their lines properly, Andros Townsend leathered in a volley from 30 yards. I’ll be amazed if it’s not goal of the season. The technique to do something like that is off the fucking charts. Best volley I’ve seen since Mendieta lashed one in at the Nou Camp for Valencia. 

That’s Townsend though. He’s good for three or four worldies every season. Made up he picked this fixture for one of them, especially after the one he hit against us earlier in the season was kept out by the crossbar. It’s little details like that which make me wonder if… well I’ll not say it, but you know.

2-1 to Palace at half time was great, mainly because it increased the chances of City being held to a draw. I wasn’t even considering the possibility of Palace actually winning it. Not until the second half started and they immediately went 3-1 up. That man Kyle Walker again. Conceding a pen this time.

Milivojevic buried the pen, which shouldn’t surprise anyone as let’s face it, he gets enough practice. Now it was very much a case of “can they actually hold on here?”. Yes. Yes they could. City did pull one back but it was a total fluke from De Bruyne. 

Before the game I’d have been made up with a draw, but if they’d snatched an equaliser after being 3-1 down I’d have been gutted. Thankfully they didn’t, as Jesus put a late header over the bar and Palace held on. What a time to be alive.

The Palace right back is boss, I really like him. Part ex for Clyne at the end of the season maybe?

As for City, they’ve got two players for every position yet they’re utterly reliant on a 33 year old Brazilian in the middle of the park. Without Fernandinho they just can’t cope. Along with Zaha he might be the single most important player to any team in the league. 

If you have that many attacking midfielders on the pitch then somebody has to do the dirty work, and Fernandinho is quite literally the only City midfield player who can do it. If he’s not playing when we go there we’ll fucking ruin them on the counter attack. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
  • dave u unpinned this topic