You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Drink driver warning

halewood pete

I know most of us car owners are responsible ,but this is a warning to be careful about drinking and driving as we approach the new year.

Last night I was out in town with a few mates One thing led to another and I had way too many red wines topped off with a few jaegerbombs,

Not a good idea!

Knowing I was well over the limit,I did something I've never done before...I left my car in town and decided to take a bus home.

Sure enough,I passed a police check point where they were pulling over drivers and performing breathalyser tests,but because I was on a bus they just waved it past.I arrived home safely without incident which was a real surprise.

I've never driven a bus before and I'm fucked if I know where I got it from or what I'm going to do with it.

Happy new year to you all.!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 19

7 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

I know most of us car owners are responsible ,but this is a warning to be careful about drinking and driving as we approach the new year.

Last night I was out in town with a few mates One thing led to another and I had way too many red wines topped off with a few jaegerbombs,

Not a good idea!

Knowing I was well over the limit,I did something I've never done before...I left my car in town and decided to take a bus home.

Sure enough,I passed a police check point where they were pulling over drivers and performing breathalyser tests,but because I was on a bus they just waved it past.I arrived home safely without incident which was a real surprise.

I've never driven a bus before and I'm fucked if I know where I got it from or what I'm going to do with it.

There's something on the news about a double decker parked in someone's front room, know anything about it sir?

7 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

Not a good idea!

When you go out tomorrow, get yourself one of these signs and park the bus next to it.

london-bus-stop-uk-july-sign-piccadilly-

Joking aside I called the snides on a drink driver on Christmas Eve. Absolute piss taker, wasn’t someone who’d had 2 pints instead of 1 and a half or getting in the car the morning after a few. Pissed as a rat, swerving all over the place, absolutely fucking mullered. Always a moral dilemma but this was too much

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Joking aside I called the snides on a drink driver on Christmas Eve. Absolute piss taker, wasn’t someone who’d had 2 pints instead of 1 and a half or getting in the car the morning after a few. Pissed as a rat, swerving all over the place, absolutely fucking mullered. Always a moral dilemma but this was too much

No dilemma, mate. They’ll kill someone or themselves. You did the right thing. It’s not about grassing up someone, it’s about keeping people safe. 

• Upvote 2

Back in the day I never thought anything about having a few beers on a Sunday and then driving to work on a Monday. At losing a unit per hour I bet I was still over the limit come the morning commute.

So as well as not driving straight after a drink be aware about your ability or suitability to drive the morning aftera night out.

12 minutes ago, Mike D said:

Anyone noticed how driving standards as a whole has got worse over the last few years? People pulling out from side streets at the last minute in front of cars being one thing.

Unfortunately the phrase that seems to pay on the roads in the UK seems to be 'you know what I am going to do, you deal with it - it's what you have brakes/steering/etc for'. Many of the accidents happen when the driver being expected to deal with it either hasn't seen it coming or is simply too fast/close to respond. 

I think those drink drive calculators work on a ‘worst case scenario’ if you’re a 6 foot, 15 stone male and had drunk that but had dinner and breakfast it would be extremely unlikely to take 19 hours before you were safe to drive (limit wise). A five foot nothing, 8 stone female perhaps. I drink spirits and always work on an hour a shot plus one for good luck and start the countdown from when I stop drinking. So say 8 shots, finishing at 10pm. By 7am would assume to be completely clear. I suppose the limit would allow for 3 / 4 shots worth as well even if you were getting in a car so no way would you be over after that long.

I never drink and then drive straight away even if I’m having even one but the morning after thing is terrifying, you can go on the above reasoning but how would you genuinely fairly know. Probably a good idea to buy some of those single use breathalysers from Halfords.

I do think intent should play a big part if caught over the limit. There’s a world of difference between someone who gets in a car straight from drinking, knowing they are taking the piss and someone unknowingly still over the morning after.

50 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

I think those drink drive calculators work on a ‘worst case scenario’ if you’re a 6 foot, 15 stone male and had drunk that but had dinner and breakfast it would be extremely unlikely to take 19 hours before you were safe to drive (limit wise). A five foot nothing, 8 stone female perhaps. I drink spirits and always work on an hour a shot plus one for good luck and start the countdown from when I stop drinking. So say 8 shots, finishing at 10pm. By 7am would assume to be completely clear. I suppose the limit would allow for 3 / 4 shots worth as well even if you were getting in a car so no way would you be over after that long.

I never drink and then drive straight away even if I’m having even one but the morning after thing is terrifying, you can go on the above reasoning but how would you genuinely fairly know. Probably a good idea to buy some of those single use breathalysers from Halfords.

I do think intent should play a big part if caught over the limit. There’s a world of difference between someone who gets in a car straight from drinking, knowing they are taking the piss and someone unknowingly still over the morning after.

It makes not a blind bit of difference if you’ve killed or seriously hurt someone.

Geoff, you sound like my dad trying to rationalise your behaviour. That amount of drink is too much to be taking any chances. And if you’re still struggling with it, try thinking what would happen if you’d been drinking and someone smacked into you. For whatever reason. If the Police get involved they’re going to breathylise you too.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Champ said:

It makes not a blind bit of difference if you’ve killed or seriously hurt someone.

Geoff, you sound like my dad trying to rationalise your behaviour. That amount of drink is too much to be taking any chances. And if you’re still struggling with it, try thinking what would happen if you’d been drinking and someone smacked into you. For whatever reason. If the Police get involved they’re going to breathylise you too.

What are you talking about? I haven’t tried to ‘rationalise’ anything and what ‘behaviour’? I’ve clearly said I don’t drink and drive and in order to calculate safe times between drinking and and getting in the car to work on a worst case scenario. 

I just said that to me there is a difference between someone knowing they’re driving pissed and someone who genuinely doesn’t. What if you had three pints on a Monday but your body chemistry meant for some reason you showed over the limit on Wednesday? Unlikely but probably not unheard of. 

16 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

What are you talking about? I haven’t tried to ‘rationalise’ anything and what ‘behaviour’? I’ve clearly said I don’t drink and drive and in order to calculate safe times between drinking and and getting in the car to work on a worst case scenario. 

I just said that to me there is a difference between someone knowing they’re driving pissed and someone who genuinely doesn’t. What if you had three pints on a Monday but your body chemistry meant for some reason you showed over the limit on Wednesday? Unlikely but probably not unheard of. 

It wasn’t meant to read like I was having a go but I guess it does reflect the way we have had to adjust to reduced alcohol thresholds here.

When the law was changed here there was quite a lot of talk about calculations and breathyliser kits but in a very short time it feels as if most people have accepted that it just isn’t worth the stress of wondering whether you’re over the limit or not and choose either to drink or drive but not both although you’re right about the ‘exceptional’ situations. We’re all stuck with them

Being an old fart I started driving when it was widely regarded as a joke and you were unlucky to get done. Saying the next day "I was glad I was driving last night because I couldn't fucking walk" was deemed hilarious. No excuse these days with better transport and Uber on call a few minutes away. Just never consider taking the car if I'm having drink as do the vast majority of people. Cars should be confiscated if drivers are over the limit as they should be for no insurance or driving with no license or whilst banned. 

• Upvote 3