You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reds unlikely to remain unbeaten: Hodgson

TLW

The popularity of Roy Hodgson among Liverpool fans peaked to unprecedented levels on Saturday evening as his Crystal Palace side shocked the footballing world by defeating Man City at Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The defeat by the Citizens gave Liverpool a surprise four point buffer over their main title rivals heading into the busiest time of the Premier League calendar.

The architect of City's downfall on the weekend has said that despite Liverpool not tasting defeat in the league during the first part of the season, it is highly unlikely to remain that way.

Four Four Two reported Hodgson as saying:

" Someone will beat Liverpool against the odds, there is a long way to go yet and there will be an upset somewhere along the line.

"I don't think Pep Guardiola will be too concerned about a four-point gap with 20 games left to play."

Roy-Hodgson-Pep-Guardiola.jpg

The veteran manager is not alone with those thoughts with former Newcastle and Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas also believing Liverpool will come unstuck somewhere in the second half of the season.

The Liverpool Echo reported Jenas as saying:

"It’s not unrealistic (for Liverpool to go unbeaten) because of the standards that they’ve set and the way that they are playing.

"We felt this about Manchester City last year and they fell just short of it and I feel like the same will probably happen to Liverpool at some point.

"It might be a weird game that catches them out, it might not be the obvious one.

Jenas unsurprisingly says that the January 3rd clash between the two sides will be crucial to where the title may end up.

" They’ve ( Liverpool) got the game on January 3 which could be pivotal.

“There’s so much that’s going to be changing throughout the rest of the season.

"Regardless of what they look like now, there’s injuries and stuff that could be coming.”

Liverpool have had to deal with a recent set of injuries to members of their defence which they have handled well to this point.

There is sure to be plenty more bumps in the road to negotiate in the second half of the season.

It is therefore unreasonable to think we will go through the season unbeaten as the league is a lot more competitive than when Arsenal completed their 'invincible' season in 2003/4.

To be honest, that kind of thing may be nice to look back on, but did it push the Gunners onto greater heights in the following years?

For a team like ours, it certainly should not be the major focus in any case.

The most important thing above all else is to keep our nerve while the pressure is on and the rest will take care of itself.

View full article

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

He's such a fucking sycophant, look at his fucking face. I bet he fantasizes about 'Sir Alex' treating his prostate like an olive.

There's never been an LFC manager less suited to this club.

Spot on.

I know it's Christmas eve and all that.......but I fucking hate him and his face.

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

No issue with his general point....it is extremely unlikely we will go unbeaten.

It is the what I see as slightly snidey comment about Guardiola not being concerned about a 4 pt gap that smacks of typical twatishness from the horrible get. 

Yeah this.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No shit. Of course we will. Only one team has ever done it and they had quite a few draws. It's football. It happens. I couldn't even give one fuck about that unbeaten bollocks. I care about winning the fucking thing.

Isfuckingright.

Going to take a monumental effort to do so and maybe a points tally of 95 plus which is fucking mad considering our last title win was secured with a game to spare with 79!

But we have our best shot at it in a long time with this team, even given how good the opposition we are fighting against is.....it is going to be ridiculously hard, we'll need some luck, we'll need to dig in at times, probably bounce back from some bad results and very importantly handle expectation and pressure that will be huge if we start getting close...

The crowd at Anfield if we do get close can of course be a huge help, but I also believe strongly that the nervousness that transmits from the stands when it goes a bit wrong is something we suffer with more than other clubs.

When we do face adversity if we are going for the title, if we do let in an equaliser for example or go behind to unfancied opposition or in a big game like Spurs at home hopefully the crowd can not let the nervousness transmit to the players and in fact they raise the volume more....it is something i've noticed in recent years we have a bit of an issue with - an understandable symptom of being bitten so many times yes, but something that does not help....you can hear a pin drop and feel the tension/angst in the air when we face adversity.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:09 PM, TLW said:

The veteran manager is not alone with those thoughts with former Newcastle and Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas also believing Liverpool will come unstuck somewhere in the second half of the season.

Ah, Jermaine Jenas. He's forgotten more about football than he ever knew.