You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland documentary on Netflix

Bjornebye

Has anyone seen this? I'm about 6 episodes in. Charts last season start to finish and relegation to league 1. Wasn't gonna bother but seen a few people saying its decent on Twitter so gave it a go. Its fucking brilliant. Proper insight into the running (or not running) of a football club. No holds barred footage. The bit with Rodwell just refusing to leave as he was on a massive wage is fascinating. What a cunt 

48 minutes ago, Elite said:

I need total silence and darkness to sleep, even the TV power light would prevent me sleeping but it's good to chill in bed watching television.

Ha I'm the same. I sleep with a blindfold on. Tiniest bit of light and no way I am sleeping. Always thought I must just have thin eyelids. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Ha I'm the same. I sleep with a blindfold on. Tiniest bit of light and no way I am sleeping. Always thought I must just have thin eyelids. 

Thin eye lids haha, hell of a disability that.

"I'm on the sick mate. I've got Cystic Fibrosis, what about you?"

"Thin Eye lids."

• Upvote 5

Thin eyelids is a condition and the amount of light that passes through them at night can suppress melatonin production by the brain, affecting sleep. Continued sleep disruption / deprivation can lead to all kinds of health and mental issues.

Plus they’re a bugger to apply and retain eye shadow on..............apparently.

2 minutes ago, jonnyp said:

Thin eyelids is a condition and the amount of light that passes through them at night can suppress melatonin production by the brain, affecting sleep. Continued sleep disruption / deprivation can lead to all kinds of health and mental issues.

Plus they’re a bugger to apply and retain eye shadow on..............apparently.

Nice one mate. I sleep like a baby with a blindfold on. Need to get some new blackout curtains. 

Good television.

Peter Ferrer is brilliant.  The embodiment of the lifetime fan.  Love him.

With Sunderland no longer in the Premier League, he laments the lack of media coverage.  "Nowadays we're hardly ever mentioned in the papers.  Saturday's game wasn't even covered in the Daily Mail.  Not one line.  (pause) Tory bastards."

Class.

• Upvote 3

So much better than the Amazon Man City puff piece. Only disappointing thing was no dressing room footage. 

Most interesting thing for me was how absentee the owner was. Grayson, Coleman and the Chief Executive never even had a chance. Totally overwhelmed. 

The managers still came across as shite though. Can kind of understand why Coleman hadn't gotten better opportunities after his Wales success. Sounded like a nice guy but way too hands-off in the actual football side. 

Watched this a few things really stood out for me: First the film makers have slightly tiresome aims of trying to create narratives, this is especially prominent around the notion of Chris Coleman coming in and saving the club (which ultimately doesn't work out), though he and Kit Symonds do come across pretty well as they try and install some positivity into a moribund organisation. 

Secondly the series was probably meant to be a puff piece for Martin Bain the chief executive, but even though he has limited resources due to the imminent sale of the club by Ellis Short to another consortium he comes across poorly. He has a deliberate style which has been clearly cultivated for PR purposes but this gives the idea that he is never hurried or actually works that hard. In addition it's fairly obvious he hasn't set-up some easy and fairly fundamental processes in particular around the acquisition of players and scouting. Alongside a particularly dismal flip chart presentation to the players by Simon Grayson the meeting where Bain is filmed with his chief scouts looking over reports is probably the most identifiably incompetent element of the series. In the meeting he basically rubbishes the scouting but makes it abundantly clear that at no point previously did he actually give his scouting network any parameters in terms of the level and costs of players required which basically means they are set-up to look stupid while he grins like a Cheshire cat.

As an aside the club also seem to have a ludicrous number of staff a lot of whose job is not overtly clear, I would envisage that the new owners will probably be making some 'efficiency savings'.

In terms of the players; Aiden McGeady comes across as a bawbag who lacks vision, Jason Steele is demonstrably crap and has a ludicrously inflated opinion of himself, Lewis Grabban has a level of self interest that is almost admirable if a bit grating and I hope Jonny Williams gains more confidence through the use of sport psychologists but it seems like he might be too delicate a human for a industry that is as brutal as football.

Perhaps the series makers didn't concentrate on them much or their influence was more prominent in the dressing room, but O'Shea and Cattermole seem pretty quite/lacklustre as leaders.

It's notable that both of the foreign players featured come across as brighter and more articulate and capable of talking emotionally, which perhaps points to education issues among British clubs academies in producing rounded resilient people.

The other thing that is palpable is that the divide between the professionals and the fans is colossal, this may in part be due to the clubs poor form so there isn't much positive bonding between the fan base and players, but it seems a general truism that professional footballers view fans as somewhat demented weirdos who shouldn't care so much.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Has anyone seen this? I'm about 6 episodes in. Charts last season start to finish and relegation to league 1. Wasn't gonna bother but seen a few people saying its decent on Twitter so gave it a go. Its fucking brilliant. Proper insight into the running (or not running) of a football club. No holds barred footage. The bit with Rodwell just refusing to leave as he was on a massive wage is fascinating. What a cunt 

Though Stig it's a bit of a weird one with Rodwell as it wasn't him who signed off on the ludicrous contract which he may need in what is  ultimately a short career that can be reduced even further by injury, plus the club should have been approaching it from a disciplinary route far earlier on to try and sack him.

However I'm not sure if I would have stayed at a place where granted even if I was getting an excellent deal basically everyone hates you and thinks you're a shyster.

2 hours ago, No2 said:

The part that summed it up for me was when it was agreed between scouts, manager and MD that 70% of the playing staff had to be under 25 and 2 minutes later 4 journey men are walking through the door and another turns them down.

Yeah,hilarious. Funniest part was the supporter being filmed at home saying about how Sunderland fans are the greatest in the world despite being 3-0 down at half time. Cut to the cameras filming the fan's at the game giving the players,manager,coaching staff and each other absolute dog's abuse. Hilarious.