You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 Liverpool 2 (Dec 21 2018)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

There are a number of reasons why we have rarely been able to mount a serious challenge for the title since we last won it. The biggest one has been inability to win the games we’re supposed to win.

Go back and look at results over the last 28 years and every season is littered with inexplicable losses and draws to sides that were either relegated or just about avoided it. You can’t win titles like that.

So far this year has been different. We've faced everybody except Newcastle, and we’ve won every game we’re 'supposed' to win while avoiding defeat in the most dangerous fixtures against our rivals. Plus we won at Spurs, which puts us ahead of the curve.

It sounds simple, but it’s a fact that if you beat everybody outside of the top six then providing you don't massively shit the bed against the other top sides, you’ll almost certainly win the title.

18 games in and we’ve done exactly that, which explains why we’re four points clear. City drew with Wolves and were beaten by Palace, whereas we beat both of them. That’s the main reason they’re trailing us, although we also sneaked a draw at Chelsea which helps. 

When City were flying they couldn’t shake us off. They’ve since hit a dodgy spell and because we’d stuck with them we were then able to take advantage of it by continuing to churn out wins. This was a huge result because City will have been thinking there was a chance we'd drop points. We didn't, and we all saw how City responded to it a day later. 

City are the playground bully, pushing people around without any resistance and ruling through fear, but as soon as someone stands up to them you see they’re not as tough as everyone thought they were.

Look, they’re a great side and I’m not dismissing them. I still feel like they should be favourites to win the thing, I’m just saying that they look much better as ‘front runners’ than they do when they are faced with some adversity. We need to keep turning the screw on them and see if they can cope. Maybe it will bring out the best in them, but maybe they'll crack?

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

I remember that game when VVD outpaced Sadio as well. Thought he was an annoyingly good cunt who was impossible to beat. He looked good at every aspect of defending. Boy, was I right about that (not the cunt-part, mind). He's by far the best defender in the world. 

Just now, Marcas said:

Excellent report Dave. Can’t agree more on VVD - saw that Babb said on LFC TV that it’s only a matter of time before the Spanish leaches come in for him. On this occasion I don’t think we have to worry, I think he’s here for the duration...

They can’t afford him 

• Upvote 1

Really loved that Fabinho assist. The easy thing to do would be to ease the ball into the mixer which gives the forward time to react to whatever comes his way but the same applies to the defenders as well. Instead he hammers it in and trusts the forward to be more quick-witted than any of the defenders which, as they say in Liverpool, is right. Great stuff all round.

• dave u unpinned this topic