You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Van Dijk: Keeping clean sheets much more important than goalscoring contribution 

tlw content

It is just 12 months since Virgil Van Dijk joined Liverpool Football club, but in that time it is fair to say that the big Dutchman has made a lasting impact in the minds of many fans.

That was once again evident in Liverpool's 2-0 win against Wolves on Friday night as the Dutchman was imperious as the leader of Liverpool's defence.

He managed to combine those duties with venturing down to the other end of the pitch to score his second goal for the club (and first in the league).

It was the icing on the cake of another very professional team performance as the league leaders produced their fifteenth win of the campaign to open up a four point gap on Man City albeit the reigning champions have a game in hand.

In a first half of the season which has seen the club break a number of long standing records, came another landmark when the Reds recorded their tenth consecutive unbeaten game away from home (eight wins, two draws.)

It is the first time they have achieved such a feat in the Premier League era.

While Van Dijk got onto the scoresheet, he is more concerned with team success along with keeping it tight at the back as Liverpool recorded their eleventh of the season on Friday.

Speaking with the Official site after the victory Van Dijk said:

I’m more happy that I’m keeping clean sheets with my team and winning games.

"Obviously scoring a goal is a bonus and obviously a very proud moment and hopefully there’s more to come, but I’m more focused on winning games."

After a lively start from the home team, Liverpool got the all-important first goal of the contest in the 18th minute through Mo Salah courtesy of some great link-up play with Fabinho.

They held that advantage until Van Dijk doubled it in the 68th minute with a close range volley after receiving a pin-point ball from the Egyptian.

vandijk1_600.jpg

Van Dijk continued his assessment of the game saying he was especially happy with the performance of the team in the second 45 minutes.

"We are very happy and at the end I am happy with the win. In the first half we were a bit sloppy at times, but second half we did it well and we are very happy that we won.

" It’s a very tough place to come with these circumstances and how they play. 

"They have shown throughout the season they are very good and disciplined and they have a clear idea.

As we approach the midway part of the season, talk has begun in earnest whether Liverpool can stay the course with Man City throughout the campaign.

However Van Dijk is keeping a level head and certainly not thinking too far ahead.

“ There is a long way to go yet.

"It’s a position that everyone wants to be in and we are in it at the moment. That’s the only thing it is and we need to keep going. 

"The next game is Newcastle United on Wednesday and then Arsenal and Manchester City, so it can change but we are not going to think about that. 

"We take it game by game.”

It is that sort of talk that warms the heart and makes you think that the mindset of the squad is spot on as we enter the most important part of the season.

View full article

Deffo should be installed as Captain.His all round skill is exceptional and he must be a nightmare to play against.He instills confidence in his teammates and the fans,I just pray he doesn't pick up an injury.

I had three separate bets on the wolves game(just a pound on each)

Van Dijk to score anytime 8/1

Liverpool to  win 2  0   11/2

Liverpool to win both halves. 7/2

The Mighty reds are back !

1 hour ago, halewood pete said:

Deffo should be installed as Captain.His all round skill is exceptional and he must be a nightmare to play against.He instills confidence in his teammates and the fans,I just pray he doesn't pick up an injury.

I had three separate bets on the wolves game(just a pound on each)

Van Dijk to score anytime 8/1

Liverpool to  win 2  0   11/2

Liverpool to win both halves. 7/2

The Mighty reds are back !

Been backing VVD to score anytime but didn't last night!