You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

54 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Can just see them doing shit like that all season. Play shit, get some large slices of luck, benefit from some "contentious" decisions, convert them into extremely jammy victories. I fucking hate the cunts and their seemingly neverending deal with the devil.

If they’re better placed to take any points off City, and if we get at least four points from their two cup finals against us again, they’ll have done alright as far as I’m concerned. 

Hard for us to improve on last season, but winning there in October would be a good start. 

• Upvote 1

They'll struggle to score against the sides who will come to defend and play on the counter. They've got dynamic forwards who are quick and mobile and they have Pogba to play them in, but that's it. It's one-dimensional. 

Chelsea today were in as naive a setup as you'll see with no defensive structure. 

He's done well this summer. He's the first manager that's realised Martial is a striker and Rashford is the winger. The right hand side of their defence was a joke and he's sorted it out. They aren't good enough to challenge for the title because they can't rely on players like McTominey, Pereira, James and Lingard to show up every week, but I suspect they'll shed their laughing stock image this season.

1 hour ago, Ginny said:

Media sucking the Mancs off hard this morning. Just hope it’s another build them up then knock them down when the ‘bad patch’ inevitably strikes! 

Yep and after a game they could have lost had Chelsea been a more clinical up front.  Would love to have seen how good Utd were chasing a 2 goal deficit

16 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

They'll struggle to score against the sides who will come to defend and play on the counter. They've got dynamic forwards who are quick and mobile and they have Pogba to play them in, but that's it. It's one-dimensional. 

Chelsea today were in as naive a setup as you'll see with no defensive structure. 

Agree with that. Even with Chelsea being so open United still looked fairly limited for large parts of the game.

I see some of the media going overboard since one tactically inept manager beat another tactically inept manager. Watching lampard at chelsea is going to be entertaining this season. Mason Mount may turn into a good striker eventually but he was clearly out of his depth yesterday.

Once  chelsea went behind, lampard had no idea what to do. If you watch united's 4th goal, the lad actually kicks the ground first but the defender is stood so far off him, he's able to regain his composure and score.

It baffles me that lampard let sideshow go to arsenal especially after zouma's mare of a game.

Was talking to a Manc fan in work this morning this lad doesn't mince his words where his team is concerned,  his thoughts on the display yesterday was they won't challenge for the title it might take a while for the Gimp to sort it out that's if he's given time and he reckons the likes of us and Citeh will walk through them no worries. 

He also reckoned and I agreed with him that Maguire is an upgrade on what they had and to round it off he doesn't care if Pogba fucks off either 

13 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

They’re still comically shit, the sense of knowing that yesterday’s result was a complete fluke is comforting, probably the manner in which they viewed us at various points in the last 30 years.

Have already heard a few "80 mil starting to look like a bargain" comments in the media. Amazing stuff.

One thing I'm fully expecting to see with the Athletic sweeping up all the decent football journos is that all the other outlets will become even worse for sports coverage.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Have already heard a few "80 mil starting to look like a bargain" comments in the media. Amazing stuff.

One thing I'm fully expecting to see with the Athletic sweeping up all the decent football journos is that all the other outlets will become even worse for sports coverage.

True, but a lot of the footie journos that have decamped for the Athletic are just as capable of writing utter bollocks as the ones left.

Maguire is a good defender and seems like a decent enough lad. 

However, the way the media are comparing him to Virgil or the other elite defenders of the world is a prime example of why English players fail to do well in tournaments. Good-very good players suddenly put in the world class category because they sign for big clubs or have a good season or two and play well for England against Montenegro. Merson was right what he said.

England's only world class player is Sterling. Kane is a world class finisher but is probably the level just below world class. Trent will be world class within the next year to eighteen months. Some would argue he is there already. Foden will definitely become world class. Gomez has the ability to be world class. Dele Ali is a very good player but I'd not call him world class. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

However, the way the media are comparing him to Virgil or the other elite defenders of the world is a prime example of why English players fail to do well in tournaments. Good-very good players suddenly put in the world class category because they sign for big clubs or have a good season or two and play well for England against Montenegro. Merson was right what he said.

England's only world class player is Sterling. Kane is a world class finisher but is probably the level just below world class. Trent will be world class within the next year to eighteen months. Some would argue he is there already. Foden will definitely become world class. Gomez has the ability to be world class. Dele Ali is a very good player but I'd not call him world class. 

This is based on what, genuinelly, a quote from the spurgy 'genius' at the Abu Dhabi Towers?

Because so far he has done fuck all to even be discussed as a player, let alone discussed as potential world class, there are a couple of kids at united who are looking incredable, yet don't get talked up anywhere near as much. Could it be that ABG are trying, through their various favours owed in the media, desparately, to get a local face in front and centre who can get the natives excited, because the people they have sure as shite don't have any links to the club formally known as Manchester City and it's hard to fight the cognitive dissonnance for this long...

12 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Good post.

I'd throw Kane and Trent in there as world class. Kane's as effective as Shearer and Trent can be anything he wants. Haven't seen enough of Foden and agree wtih you on Dele Alli.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is based on what, genuinelly, a quote from the spurgy 'genius' at the Abu Dhabi Towers?

Because so far he has done fuck all to even be discussed as a player, let alone discussed as potential world class, there are a couple of kids at united who are looking incredable, yet don't get talked up anywhere near as much. Could it be that ABG are trying, through their various favours owed in the media, desparately, to get a local face in who can get the natives excited, because the people they have sure as shite don't have any links to the club formally known as Manchester City and it's hard to fight the cognitive dissonnance for so long...

Take your point about Foden, but from what I've seen of him, he's destined to play at the highest level for a very long time. He contributed to City at the business end of last season and didn't look out of place. Pep didn't just put him in there for pr. He put him in because he sees his ability.

Greenwood is an incredible prospect. Parott at Spurs is an incredible prospect. However, Foden is more than that. At 19,he is an important part of one of the top two teams in the world.

I hate City and I don't exactly put out the bunting for England so I hope you're right though.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Take your point about Foden, but from what I've seen of him, he's destined to play at the highest level for a very long time. He contributed to City at the business end of last season and didn't look out of place. Pep didn't just put him in there for pr. He put him in because he sees his ability.

Greenwood is an incredible prospect. Parott at Spurs is an incredible prospect. However, Foden is more than that. At 19,he is an important part of one of the top two teams in the world.

I hate City and I don't exactly put out the bunting for England so I hope you're right though.

Coming on with ten minutes left when you're 18-0 up and the other team is so demoralised that they just want the game over isn't a sign of quality if you score a goal.

He might make it, he might not, but I doubt he's the second coming and feel he's being used as PR spin more than player at the moment as City can't buy a soul so are desparate to creat an aproximation of one.

They also need to keep him happy lest he lead the exodus of the talent that is stockpiled and getting twitchy about their careers going to shit by stagnating at City, see Sancho.

• Upvote 1