You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

sleeper agent

A sleeper agent you say! I’ve been fantasising that Ole will turn up at Anfield next week to a heroes welcome. It was all an act, even his snide personality. 

We played the long game, even his goal in 99 was part of the plan. 

One day his contribution to the thirty year domination of football Liverpool are about embark on will be properly recognised. The club should name the team bus after him.

D4E53746-3191-4160-BF95-A5C558BA1549.jpeg

3 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

How we ever got this long I simply can’t fathom. Was out of his depth from day one and finally, hundreds of millions of pounds and 21% of their all time losses in the premier league later, finally it ends.

If only everybody could swing 3 years out of a 6 month job. The man's a magician, pulling rabbits out of hats at just the right time to keep the doubting audience believe in his magic. Just that this time, somebody stole his rabbit. I can only hope it was Carrick, having taken in everything Ole taught him and wanting to show he can do just as wonderful a job, himself.

Feel like I didn't get the chance to enjoy the whole thing as much as I might have. Ideally this whole thing would have played out in our champions league victory, league title triumph with fans.

For those of us who were cruelly subjected to the 90s and the 00s, this is wonderful, but also difficult to trust. We've been hurt and conditioned to think they'll roar back, but they really are a paper tiger now. 

• Upvote 1

By the way, as I've argued before, the so-called quality squad they have is in true Utd fashion extremely over-hyped. They've got an abundance of attacking players that are all really flashy, marginal players that rely on individual brilliance rather than being tactically astute (Cavani being the exception). Their defence is atrocious apart from Varane, and less said about the defensive side of their midfield the better.

The narrative that they are so much better off now than past Mourinho is ridiculous. They've got a terribly unbalanced squad, and have just aquired the biggest possible wardrobe cancer in the world. If you think Rooney towards the end of his career represented a problem for them, wait til they employ Pochettino or Ten Hag or any other progressive manager that puts Ronaldo on the bench (where he should be by now if they want to dominate matches). This is their probable starting-line up for the foreseeable...

De Gea - pulls off worldies more often than any other keeper I've seen, but is also capable of letting in the strangest of shots. Struggles with distribution (even if my Manc mates claim that he's improved this season).

Wan Bissaka - very good player if you're parked in your own half, as he's tough to get past in one-on-ones. Helpless with the ball, and struggles with positioning when they play a more expansive game.

Varane - IF he can keep fit (and that's a big if), he's the only player I'd trust to build a back four on for a title-contender. Pace in abundance, very good defender one-on-one and relatively composed on the ball (even if he's not an especially good passer).

Maguire - are there anyone outside of Ardja and Southgate that rates this clown? Again, only suited to edge-of-the box defending. Has been getting away with murder in both boxes, capable of a pen or clanger every game. Worst transfer in the history of English football? 

Shaw - Had a pretty good 12 months, but back to being unfit and a liability it seems. Could possibly be part of a back four if they bring in another rapid central defender.

Unsure of how to compose their MF, as if you play 4-3-3 Matic is probably still their best CDM, and if you play 4-4-2 you'll have to sacrifice one of their many, many forwards. I'll go with a 4-3-3, and put Fred in the CDM, as there is no way a new manager comes in and starts Matic week in week out (Conte possibly would have).

McTominay - they need a bit of balance in there, and he's probably the only one of their current MF's that can compensate for Fred's ineptness in CDM. Tough, physical player, but too limited to play any dominant role in a great team. VDBeek is probably better for the long run, but I'm not sure if he's a good fit either unless the bring in ten Haag. A typical system player.

Fred - Wins a lot of second balls and has decent distribution, but not even close to being the level they need. As earlier said, Matic is better in the CDM role, but I don't think he gets a chance.

Fernandes - Capable of genius, and their main creative force. He's their Luis Garcia (or Coutinho) though, as he loses the ball incredibly often, and with pen duties now overtaken by Ronaldo, his stats will dip quite a bit. I think he's the only one in their MF that will survive a new coach (if they get someone competent in) over the next few transfer windows

Greenwood - the only player I'd take apart from Varane to compete for starting places for us over the next few years. Brilliant finisher, great feet (both), and really dangerous cutting in from the right. 

Ronaldo - should be Cavani, but the profile of Ronaldo won't allow that. It's glorious!! I really don't think people understand how much he hinders their overall defensive play/pressing. I think we overturned Arsenal 17 (!!!) times in their own half yesterday, Utd won't do that at all with Ronaldo playing CF. Will of course score goals to keep the critics away.

Rashford - puts in his best performances from the LW, and will probably compete with Sancho for this spot as Greenwood gets better. Is he a good team player? I think he's dangerous when in form, but he can't seem to get any stability in his play either. Would look a lot better playing with someone like Cavani, and also suffers whenever Pogba plays, as he takes up many of the same positions.

So......

-----------------------------------De Gea---------------------------------------

-----Wan-Bissaka------Varane------------Maguire------------------Shaw---

------------------------------------Fred-----------------------------------------

---------------McTominay-----------------Fernandes-------------------------

------Greenwood----------------Ronaldo----------------------Rashford------

A complete shitshow at the back, and seemingly a lot of attacking talent up front. Good luck getting them to press like City and us do consistently though, that will take about an eternity unless they have the balls to drop Ronaldo.

If their sporting director has any nous at all, he'll (at the very least) go shopping for;

----------------------------------De Gea---------------------------------------

Quick attacking FB------Varane-------Quick, ball-playing CB-----Shaw

-----------------------Solid, physical, tactically strong CDM-----------------

---------------Hard-working box to box CM---------Fernandes---------------

...Greenwood-----Forward capable of pressing and interplay----------Rashford

So, that's at least 5 players, two (CB and CF) which are almost impossible to come by. That will take a lot of money and time to get right. The irony is that Cavani is probably the best alternative out there for the CF position, but he can't get on the pitch because of Ronaldo. It's absolutely hilarious, and I can't stress enough how much I am enjoying this!!!

Other possible problems include Pogba (who'll be out the door pretty soon), Sancho (who will be frustrated by lack of playing time) and van der Beek (unless they shift him with McTominay).

The biggest conundrum is getting the right man in of course, and imo neither Zidane or Enrique (who seems to be Ronaldo's candidate) will be capable of sorting this.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Real end of an era feel to it, this.

Woodward off at the end of the season after 8 years may be more significant. Had them in an absolute death grip has that lad. Remarkable he’s been allowed to preside over disaster after disaster of his own making and still be trusted to oversee the latest solution to all of them. Just hope he leaves one last turd down the back of the sofa with Ole’s replacement and a big splurge on unflushable shite in January.

We’ve had it good, there’s no denying it. 

The thing is Woodward hasn't been measured by the trophies. He's been measured by commercial success and he's achieved that while things have gone wrong on the pitch and they've spent time out of the CL. We're happy with Woodward, but so are the glazers. I can't imagine the new CEO will be measured in any other way either. 

I find it interesting though that Woodward clearly had no appetite to sack OGS. I assume that's because the glazers don't want him appointing anyone else and give the responsibility to the new guy. Which is why I assume they say they're looking for an interim manager, not a permanent one. 

Sam-Allardyce-640x400.jpg

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing is Woodward hasn't been measured by the trophies. He's been measured by commercial success and he's achieved that while things have gone wrong on the pitch and they've spent time out of the CL. We're happy with Woodward, but so are the glazers. I can't imagine the new CEO will be measured in any other way either. 

I find it interesting though that Woodward clearly had no appetite to sack OGS. I assume that's because the glazers don't want him appointing anyone else and give the responsibility to the new guy. Which is why I assume they say they're looking for an interim manager, not a permanent one. 

Sam-Allardyce-640x400.jpg

That is the creepiest yet most hilarious image of the Chippy's Champ I've seen.

28 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

A sleeper agent you say! I’ve been fantasising that Ole will turn up at Anfield next week to a heroes welcome. It was all an act, even his snide personality. 

We played the long game, even his goal in 99 was part of the plan. 

One day his contribution to the thirty year domination of football Liverpool are about embark on will be properly recognised. The club should name the team bus after him.

D4E53746-3191-4160-BF95-A5C558BA1549.jpeg

harries.jpg

• Upvote 2

If they're going interim until the end of the season they'd be better going for the likes of Steve Bruce over Carrick or Fletcher. The latter just seem like a repeat of the Olé experiment. Not loads of managerial experience at a good level, but "knows the club" etc. At least Bruce would sort their defence out a bit and give the half decent attacking players they have a bit of licence to just attack. 

So, hopefully they'll go for Carrick or Fletcher then! 

59 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Haha. Suck it, you big bag cunts.

Yep this. Refs were literally falling over themselves to give them pens. The biggest joke pen was the one penandez was gifted at Villa when he fouled the villa defender.

Once Jurgen called out the bullshit, the refs took notice and the weekly get out of jail cards dried up.

Im still gutted they sack the gimp though news they might limp through to the end of the season with an interim manager might be compensation if they do.

30 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yep this. Refs were literally falling over themselves to give them pens. The biggest joke pen was the one penandez was gifted at Villa when he fouled the villa defender.

Once Jurgen called out the bullshit, the refs took notice and the weekly get out of jail cards dried up.

Im still gutted they sack the gimp though news they might limp through to the end of the season with an interim manager might be compensation if they do.

What about the pen awarded after the final whistle of a nil nil game, was it West Brom?

• Like 1