You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

With video, not just audio like the one above. 

It'd mad that game in Paris gets talked about in the way it does, like it was some epochal triumph. They were the beneficiary of an absolutely scandalous VAR intervention in injury time, if I remember rightly. And then they got fucking thrashed by Barcelona in the very next round.

That Dortmund Lovren game doesn't get talked about with us very much. Because we lost the final. This was a last 16 game against a not-that-good PSG team.

• Upvote 1

COMMENT

Little boy lost Ole Gunnar Solskjaer given the easiest of rides in soft-soap Man Utd exit interview

Interviewed by a man from the club’s social media team, this made Oprah meets Prince Harry look like Jeremy Paxman monstering Michael Howard

ALAN TYERS21 November 2021 • 9:58pm

Nice man, shame about the whole football management thing. 

Such was the only reasonable response to a soft-soap exit interview posted by Manchester United on Sunday in which Ole Gunnar Solskjaer talked about his tenure and departure from the club that, as he may have mentioned once or twice, he really, really loves.

You shouldn’t kick a man when he’s down; although it’s not clear from the video interview published on the United website, and disseminated everywhere on the internet, whether Ole thinks he is down or not. 

Tucking away softballs with the same baby-faced assurance he once brought from the United subs bench to the six-yard box, he told United's in-house Pravda: "it’s not always the trophies all the time that is the be-all and end-all".

Just as well, you might say.

Interviewed by a man from the club’s social media team, this made Oprah meets Prince Harry look like Jeremy Paxman monstering Michael Howard. Set up in a ‘fireside chat’ style, the departing manager’s message was that he’d done his best, everybody had a nice time, and that we’ll always have Paris.

ADVERTISING

Judging from the video, it suits both him and the club to portray his tenure as a good-faith attempt that was a partial success rather than, as others see it, a fiasco.

Ole, like many children’s characters before him, reckons that the real treasure is the friends you make along the way. "The other staff that was here when I was there, we’re good friends and we have connected and that’s what it’s about at a club like this." 

The video is doing great business in likes and retweets and messages of support, and if that’s what people want from their football managers then fair enough, but some United fans surely expect something more. Wins, a defence, a plan, that sort of thing.

Ole’s unchallenged message is: don't be sad, because this was not the tale of a highly paid professional being basically hopeless at managing the world's biggest football club, but in fact the story of a little boy fulfilling his dreams.

"When you’ve been a player, when you’ve been a reserve team coach, the next job then, the only dream and the only thing you haven’t done is to manage the club, and I have now," said the proud competition winner.

Advertisement

He leaves with everyone’s good wishes, and a skip full of money, promising to return to Old Trafford and support the team whenever he can. He’ll be back! He's not dead, he’s resting. Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Red. 

After all, "I think there is potential in this club. We all love the club, and we all want to see it continue." You would hope so. It’s not exactly world domination, is it?

Alas for Ole, there were, how to say it, ‘other metrics’ being used to measure performance beyond fulfilling dreams, catching up with old pals and being a sherpa of potential. 

Unhelpfully, other teams failed to join in the whole kumbaya vibe, and kept kicking the ball in the Man U net in a most unfriendly way.

He was brought in as a four-month stopgap to bring back good cheer after the misery of the Mourinho era, and got three years living the dream, the jammy multi-millionaire so-and-so. Maybe he’s a lot more canny than he makes out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

They dont even know who the interim manager is going to be..they are an absolute shambles.

Neville was saying that the goblin got the club its soul back.

What does that even mean?

Cant see zidane going there as he is a free agent now.

My money is on Rogers . 

Apparently he has a clause in his contract if a champs league club comes in for him,he can go.

I dont know how this will work if they dont get top 4 however?

6 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

There isn't enough lube in the world to make it through this video

It's laughable. He's pretty much admitted to being a giddy kid who can't believe his luck. As for Molde winning the League the seasons after he left, that says it all.

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

He didn't reach the heights of Moyes comedic lows but he was still pretty good. Took them down to the next rung of shitness and gave us some great laughs and good times.

Thanks Ole you massive twat. 

I dunno, I think his last couple of months topped Moyes for hilarity.

Plus the money and years he wasted.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

He didn't reach the heights of Moyes comedic lows but he was still pretty good. Took them down to the next rung of shitness and gave us some great laughs and good times.

Should be printed on the casket of his managerial career, should that. Wonderfully poignant.

12 hours ago, Chris said:

It'd mad that game in Paris gets talked about in the way it does, like it was some epochal triumph. They were the beneficiary of an absolutely scandalous VAR intervention in injury time, if I remember rightly. And then they got fucking thrashed by Barcelona in the very next round.

That Dortmund Lovren game doesn't get talked about with us very much. Because we lost the final. This was a last 16 game against a not-that-good PSG team.

Not only that, but the most you could say about it from a tactical standpoint was that United employed a form of rope-a-dope (and that's being extremely generous). They got absolutely battered from start to finish and PSG should have scored about seven goals.

9 hours ago, Iceman said:

He was far, far worse than Moyes, I thought. (Or better from our perspective). And he degraded himself more than Moyes ever did with that parting. Moyes is a decent coach to a certain level.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I very much doubt he's as keen as I am on him taking over. 

Haha.

Keep thinking about the discussions they must have had prior to telling Ole, based purely on how he was going to take it. Must have been like preparing to tell a young ‘un their rabbit has gone on to a better place.

• Upvote 1