You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

Loved Souey as a player, as a manager, most of his success with Rangers was in buying players from the First Division to play in Scotland by offering them European football which they could not get in England at the time.

Yeah, souey was instrumental in turning Rangers around off the field as well but for anyone to equate Souey's time and methodology at Rangers to that of Stevie there, is simply ludicrous in the extreme.

Stevie has built a solid team not wheeled and dealed like Souey did with the likes of Mel Sterland for fuck's sake.

People obviously entitled to their own opinion but like I said, Stevie aint Souey. When \ if he leaves Rangers, I dont see him going to a Championship club or a lower PL team. It'll either be us or someone else in the top 6.

You look at some of the clowns who've managed Spurs, united and chelsea recently to see where he'll go.

I'll stick my neck out now and say we've a better chance of continuity with Stevie coming in after Jurgen, whenever that is, rather than someone completely new to the club coming in and taking over.

Some people have mentioned Ljinders as manergerial material but he tried managing in Holland and was sacked off within 6 months and couldnt wait to get back to coaching under Jurgen.

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Loved Souey as a player, as a manager, most of his success with Rangers was in buying players from the First Division to play in Scotland by offering them European football which they could not get in England at the time.

Yeah, souey was instrumental in turning Rangers around off the field as well but for anyone to equate Souey's time and methodology at Rangers to that of Stevie there, is simply ludicrous in the extreme.

Stevie has built a solid team not wheeled and dealed like Souey did with the likes of Mel Sterland for fuck's sake.

People obviously entitled to their own opinion but like I said, Stevie aint Souey. When \ if he leaves Rangers, I dont see him going to a Championship club or a lower PL team. It'll either be us or someone else in the top 6.

You look at some of the clowns who've managed Spurs, united and chelsea recently to see where he'll go.

I'll stick my neck out now and say we've a better chance of continuity with Stevie coming in after Jurgen, whenever that is, rather than someone completely new to the club coming in and taking over.

Some people have mentioned Ljinders as manergerial material but he tried managing in Holland and was sacked off within 6 months and couldnt wait to get back to coaching under Jurgen.

Yep, let’s leave this thread to the mancs  demise.   The Stevie debate should be left to another day when we’ve seen more seasons under him. Hope I’m proved wrong and he turns out to be a top manager. Still too early to judge either way.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Arteta got the Arsenal job off being an assistant manager. Lampard managed Derby for one year. Ole, Cardiff and Molde. 

Gerrard doing well at Rangers is a billion times more than those other guys were doing.

Is this an arguement for or against Gerrard?

Because if it's for him, you've presented some shite evidence.

23 minutes ago, JoeBuck01 said:

Fair enough, but he has much to do to prove himself worthy as Jurgen’s successor.  Don’t appoint on emotion/ heritage , do it on merit, personality and vision. 

I don't really understand why anyone would compare Steven Gerrard to OGS. Just because they're both ex-players at a football club doesn't mean they both can't manage. In the same way Kenny was a huge success and Souness wasn't even though they were legends from the same team. It would be like disqualifying klopp as our manager as we haven't had a manager who won the premier league without glasses. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, m0e said:

Is this an arguement for or against Gerrard?

Because if it's for him, you've presented some shite evidence.

It's not an argument for Gerrard, it's stating that ex players get big jobs easily.

But also, Gerrard has already done more to deserve a big job than all those guys did.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

It's not an argument for Gerrard, it's stating that ex players get big jobs easily.

But also, Gerrard has already done more to deserve a big job than all those guys did.

Solskjaer won the league in Norway (twice?) and got Cardiff promoted, didn't he?

Surely if you’re United you would go for a Galtier or a Ten Hag ie a Klopp type manager who has proved  themselves with a winning playing style that suits your Club.  Rather than some legend  of the past which plays well to the fans,  but who has an indifferent record in an inferior league. 

18 minutes ago, JoeBuck01 said:

Surely if you’re United you would go for a Galtier or a Ten Hag ie a Klopp type manager who has proved  themselves with a winning playing style that suits your Club.  Rather than some legend  of the past which plays well to the fans,  but who has an indifferent record in an inferior league. 

Ten Hag has won 1* more national title than Gerrard, in a league where Ajax tend to dominate the Eredivisie. Last time I checked, gerrard broke a 9 or was it 10 times title winning streak by Celtic in Scotland. So, Im not really sure what differentiates Ten Hag and Gerrard as a 'Klopp type manager who has proved themselves with a winning playing style.'

* Oh and 1 of Ten Hag's titles was 'given' to Ajax when the Dutch FA cancelled the league due to covid if I remember right.

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

You think Villa are better than Napoli, you "feel for" fans of Spanish clubs because of what they have to watch, and you think German football is shit because of a sample size of Timo Werner. You don't really have any idea what is happening outside of England.

Us looking at Hasenhutl or Bielsa would be utterly frightening if there was even the slightest chance that it would happen. Thankfully it won't.

Fair amount of mayo there but the gist of it is not overly inaccurate. I only watch the PL and CL these days. I assess other leagues based on their CL form and their imports in the PL. Do you not agree with me that the PL is the best league in the world in terms of quality and entertainment?

I was watching some YouTube videos of the win at Old Trafford today and I was thinking that it was going to be a bit shit when Klopp decides to leave us. 

The next managerial appointment could be one of the most important we've ever had to make. Klopp has got us back to being a club who regularly compete for the top honours and his trophy haul would be even better if not for oil cheats and a  clumsy Spanish left back or a brain farting German goalkeeper. 

Klopp's replacement will have to hit the ground running to keep us at these recent levels. Just look at United. Several wrong managerial appointments have wiped them out as a top team and they haven't even mounted a title challenge for about 6 or 7 years or more. 

It's been touched on in other posts that a continuity manager should be considered. I don't think Lijnders could handle the job. But, continuity links to style too. The next manager should be one who'll come in with a similar style of play and not rip it all up and start again. 

Gerrard should be considered long-term but I'd like him to prove himself a bit more at both Rangers and elsewhere. Ajax play some great attacking football and a fairly aggressive pressing game, so ten Hag would be on my shortlist too. 

I was quite impressed by Salzburg when we played them in the Champions League and Minamino stood out for them. They too played with a good attacking and pressing style. He's moved on to Leipzig now and has started so-so, but Jesse Marsch is one I'd keep an eye on too. 

Depending on how long Klopp stats for, a long term option to replace him could be another former Liverpool player - Xabi Alonso. He's been well spoken of by many of the coaches he's worked under who've said he has what it takes to become a successful coach. But, he's obviously lacking in top level experience and would have to move on to bigger tests than Real Sociedad B before he was looked at as a serious option.