You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

The idea of Gerrard as our manager scares the shit out of me. Kenny's second tenure was horrendous. We were in relegation form for half a season after spending a fortune and the fans were backing him after finishing 8th. The fans will back Gerrard even if he has us floundering in mid-table. He'll be looking like the final days of the Moyesiah on the sidelines, watching as his dream of managing the club crumbles around him. I don't want to see that shit again. Kenny looked like he aged a decade in 18 months. 

16 minutes ago, Boss said:

The idea of Gerrard as our manager scares the shit out of me. Kenny's second tenure was horrendous. We were in relegation form for half a season after spending a fortune and the fans were backing him after finishing 8th. The fans will back Gerrard even if he has us floundering in mid-table. He'll be looking like the final days of the Moyesiah on the sidelines, watching as his dream of managing the club crumbles around him. I don't want to see that shit again. Kenny looked like he aged a decade in 18 months. 

When you say horrendous do you mean the way he totally transformed a side that was flirting with relelegaton under Hodgson, within a few months?

Or may it was the free flowing football and the numerous hidings we gave out,compared to the dirge of the Hodgson era?

Or was it the fact that we won our 1st trophy since 2006 and our last until we won the champs league 5 years later,and got within spitting distance of another?

Or perhaps it was having to endure seeing Luis Suarez upfront as opposed to say joy Cole?

Unless memory is playing tricks on me if we had beaten arsenal on the march,a game we lost in the last few mins,we would have gone 4th.

Relegation form obvs.

I cant see why hodsgon lost his job tbh..he was much successful than Kenny

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

When you say horrendous do you mean the way he totally transformed a side that was flirting with relelegaton under Hodgson, within a few months?

Or may it was the free flowing football and the numerous hidings we gave out,compared to the dirge of the Hodgson era?

Or was it the fact that we won our 1st trophy since 2006 and our last until we won the champs league 5 years later,and got within spitting distance of another?

Or perhaps it was having to endure seeing Luis Suarez upfront as opposed to say joy Cole?

Unless memory is playing tricks on me if we had beaten arsenal on the march,a game we lost in the last few mins,we would have gone 4th.

Relegation form obvs.

I'm talking about the second half of his full season, not the 6 months after he took over from Hodgson. We were in relegation form. We gave up in the league and just focused on the cups. What you've said is an oxymoron. No side with Andy Carroll, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing in it plays free-flowing football. We won a League Cup against a Championship side and it went to penalties. It was horrendous. 

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

I'm talking about the second half of his full season, not the 6 months after he took over from Hodgson. We were in relegation form. We gave up in the league and just focused on the cups. What you've said is an oxymoron. No side with Andy Carroll, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing in it plays free-flowing football. We won a League Cup against a Championship side and it went to penalties. It was horrendous. 

Yep

Tbf I've blotted out the likes of beating the shote at Wembley, and knocking the likes of chelsea,city and utd out of the cups as they were too horrendous to think about.

Thank God for those golden periods under the likes of Hodgson and souness,or those closing eras of rafa,souness and Ged 

Presumably the UEFA cup win in 2001 was shote too as we only beat alvares on pens?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Moo said:

Gerrard strikes me in a similar mould to how someone described Solskjaer, someone doing an impression of how he thinks a football manager should be.  Completely different personalities of course, Solskjaer is a pathetic wet wipe, Gerrard most definitely is not.  But I don't think Stevie really knows himself or knows what he's doing.  Early days though, but his parroting if typical LMA speak is a worrying sign.

To be fair we've all been there. When I was manager of Shrewsbury Town on Kenny Dalglish Soccer Manager on the ZX Spectrum in the late 80s I often gave similar interviews to the bathroom mirror. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Boss said:

Paul Pogba is leaving on a free in the summer. That means they paid £100m to Juventus, Riola made £41m from agent fees and he's been paid £75m over the course of his contract. He also saw off Mourinho, who was the only one who sussed out that he was actually shite at football. Thanks for everything Paul. You've done a fabulous job.

Only £830k pw over the course of the 5 years. 

24 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yep

Tbf I've blotted out the likes of beating the shote at Wembley, and knocking the likes of chelsea,city and utd out of the cups as they were too horrendous to think about.

Thank God for those golden periods under the likes of Hodgson and souness,or those closing eras of rafa,souness and Ged 

Presumably the UEFA cup win in 2001 was shote too as we only beat alvares on pens?

This is pretty much the exact sort of argument that some Utd fans have been making for Solskjær for the past couple of years. 

28 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yep

Do you think finishing 8th on 52 points is acceptable?

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I love Gerrard as a player and I'm glad he's doing well at Rangers but I don't want him as manager as it stands.

I will sit up and take notice if he joins a club in the PL, like a Wolves or Southampton and is competing in the top half, with the occasional bloody nose given to the elite managers in the league, decent domestic cup runs and getting into Europa etc.

If we were to bring him in straight from Rangers we would be doing exactly what Chelsea did with Lampard, unrealistic expectations loaded straight onto a club legend and little time for them to cut their teeth, I do think we would be more patient than Chelsea fans or Abramovich were but we shouldn't have to be, we should be working with Klopp and his team to find the best possible manager and fit for our club, is Gerrard that, I'm sorry but he isn't, not at this time.

What would doing it (or not) at Wolves prove? It's a completely different proposition. 

And it would be nothing like Lampard - he had one failed season at Derby. SG has gone to Rangers and is in his 3rd season, made them champions again and made them competitive in Europe, getting them to the last 16 of the EL going out to Leverkusen. By the time Klopp leaves LFC, Gerrard will likely have done 5 years in management including European experience. It couldn't be further from the Lampard experiment at Chelsea. 

Any new manager here is likely to have a better chance of success with Klopp's team remaining. I don't know why anyone would be terrified of a Lijnders/Gerrard combo, aside from just being terrified of Klopp going. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Relegation form obvs.

3596BB80-0BE3-4D7E-B2DC-654188B56FDC.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What would doing it (or not) at Wolves prove? It's a completely different proposition. 

And it would be nothing like Lampard - he had one failed season at Derby. SG has gone to Rangers and is in his 3rd season, made them champions again and made them competitive in Europe, getting them to the last 16 of the EL going out to Leverkusen. By the time Klopp leaves LFC, Gerrard will likely have done 5 years in management including European experience. It couldn't be further from the Lampard experiment at Chelsea. 

Any new manager here is likely to have a better chance of success with Klopp's team remaining. I don't know why anyone would be terrified of a Lijnders/Gerrard combo, aside from just being terrified of Klopp going. 

11 minutes ago, Boss said:

Do you think finishing 8th on 52 points is acceptable?

Nope..but as  a fan I think winning cups is quite enjoyable 

Presumably if we would have won 2 cups in 1 season it would still be a horrendous experience?

Re the kenny /sojaskaar comparisons.

Soljaskaar took over a team which had finished 2and and won a cup.

Kenny took over a team which was an utter car crash under Hodgson and a club at war with itself.

That's not even comparing their respective histories.

Some people have short memories 

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I used Wolves as an example but could have said any club outside of the recognised big six (also at this point exclude Newcastle)

What I meant was look at the managers that have had success in Scotland and then came south of the border and been unable to replicate. For me a true gauge of Gerrard's managerial capability will be when he's pitting his wits week in week out against some of the best managers and teams in Europe not some tinpot league in Scotland, personally I'm not sure I would want him doing that at Liverpool and have a similar fate to Lampard at Chelsea.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I used Wolves as an example but could have said any club outside of the recognised big six (also at this point exclude Newcastle)

What I meant was look at the managers that have had success in Scotland and then came south of the border and been unable to replicate. For me a true gauge of Gerrard's managerial capability will be when he's pitting his wits week in week out against some of the best managers and teams in Europe not some tinpot league in Scotland.

Gerrard because of what he did as a player will have a shot of becoming Liverpool manager in the future almost no matter what he does. I would say whatever job he does before it is almost irrelevant. Wolves, Palace, Rangers, whatever. What he needs to show is that he has real ideas about how football should be played so he avoids an Ole situation where he's just a man manager with no tactical plan. If there's evidence of that at some point, then no problem. 

Gerrard will 100% be our next coach. 

I fail to believe that Klopp and Gerrard both signed contract extensions on the same day, which then both end of the same day, is a coincidence.

At present, Rangers is a good move for Gerrard. He has the pressure of having to compete in every competition available and knows he won’t have a fortune to rebuild the squad, having to rely on coaching to improve players.

Gerrard will have been away from the club long enough to be a new voice to the players. He also has all the medals (bar one) and one of our greatest ever players, so he’ll instantly have the respect of the squad.

I just hope he doesn’t do a Moyes and sacks all the back room staff.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Gerrard because of what he did as a player will have a shot of becoming Liverpool manager in the future almost no matter what he does. I would say whatever job he does before it is almost irrelevant. Wolves, Palace, Rangers, whatever. What he needs to show is that he has real ideas about how football should be played so he avoids an Ole situation where he's just a man manager with no tactical plan. If there's evidence of that at some point, then no problem. 

I personally hope the succesor to Klopp will be the current assistant manager. Gerrard scares the shit out of me currently. Not sure he'd ever make it as a top manager. I can see this going the Lampard way. Although Gerrard seems more intelligent. His Curbisley and Joe cole can do whatever Messi can makes chills running down the spine just thinking about the shite me might sign here. Rangers have been eye aids under Gerrard at least the few games I've seen. If it is that way always it'll be like a mixture of Houllier, Benitez and Hodgson. Dire as hell.