You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

That evra piece is a great illustration of how important it is for a dressing room to respect the manager. It's clear when OGS came in he took a sort of respect from not being Mourinho and his connections to that Ferguson team. It's taken time for the respect to completely fall away, with absolutely no doubt Ronaldo is the accelerant.

If you go back to our time under Souness, he struggled to get his ex-colleagues onside in some cases the same reason as that Moyes chips story. Roy Evans very much followed the OGS path, he wasn't Souness and he'd always been around those winning teams. His accelerant to the lack of respect and cancer in the dressing room was Paul Ince. 

This is why I fear our next managerial appointment. Not only do we need to replace an absolute one off as a manager so they'll need immense talent, but we need someone who fellas with a bunch of medals feel they can respect and listen to. 

Good post

One thing I’m sure of though. Klopp won’t be seen at the training field interfering or even commenting the new gaffer’s job. He’ll know better than to undermine the respect of the new boss.

Klopp has always been sincere and straight forward. I guess it's his style as a coach and as a man. When he says he’ll quit when his contract ends, that’s exactly what he’ll do. The end of his reign is near. He’ll probably want to hand over a healthy competitive team to his successor.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Good post

One thing I’m sure of though. Klopp won’t be seen at the training field interfering or even commenting the new gaffer’s job. He’ll know better than to undermine the respect of the new boss.

Klopp has always been sincere and straight forward. I guess it's his style as a coach and as a man. When he says he’ll quit when his contract ends, that’s exactly what he’ll do. The end of his reign is near. He’ll probably want to hand over a healthy competitive team to his successor.

It's so sad to think of it like that. It'll be a clean break, totally cold turkey and we probably won't see him back at Anfield for a long time afterwards. I'm hoping against hope he can be convinced to stay, by any means necessary. Give him a year off, or something. He sure won't be motivated by money, and it's unlikely we have an 'offer he can't refuse' up our sleeves. 

25 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Good post

Yeah, there's no danger of him hanging around, but I don't think that's about anything other than he's got a life to live and as much as he's loving his time here, he seems to be the type of fella who wants to experience other things. That might indeed help us. 

@Chris mentions about giving him a year off or whatever, but I sense he will have another professional challenge after he leaves Liverpool. Not that I'd be against us trying something like that, I just think when klopp is done here, he'll be done. 

I know loads of our fans are petrified of Gerrard taking over, but I think if we were to keep klopp's backroom team, his job is as much a part of being the figurehead and carrying the weight of the club, which cannot be underestimated (see Moyes training on the beach!). By all accounts klopp is a brilliant delegator and we can see by how he's worked with these players, he's a manager who thrives from the people who work for him taking responsibility for what they do - the players on the pitch solve problems in front of them without much intervention in game from klopp. If you remember Rodgers as an example, every problem we had he thought he needed to solve from the bench and could make 2 or 3 tactical changes in a half. So I could see our path after klopp being someone with a personalty for the role and build their footballing experience with the help of a very mature and capable backroom staff. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

There just was an all time 11 thread. Upfront were the real Ronaldo and Maradona, Pele on the bench.

Souness would need to oust either Matthaus or Zidane to get a spot.

Souness wouldn’t look out of place in that team. Zidane wasn’t really a central midfielder, was he. Souness is an absolute shoo-in for an all-time British XI, and it’s some team. Banks, Jennings or Clemence. McGrain. Moore. Souness. Charlton. Best. Dalglish. Greaves. Law.

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Souness wouldn’t look out of place in that team. Zidane wasn’t really a central midfielder, was he. Souness is an absolute shoo-in for an all-time British XI, and it’s some team. Banks, Jennings or Clemence. McGrain. Moore. Souness. Charlton. Best. Dalglish. Greaves. Law.

It could do with some more players. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

So he's had about half a dozen games and been away on 2 international breaks since he joined, yet he's holding the dressing room together. I've said it before, but I'm convinced he joined them as he thought he could push OGS out. I would love a season of civil war there. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

So he's had about half a dozen games and been away on 2 international breaks since he joined, yet he's holding the dressing room together. I've said it before, but I'm convinced he joined them as he thought he could push OGS out. I would love a season of civil war there. 

Basically this is Ronaldo telling the rest of the players to keep running around and supply him with crosses so he can pad his stats until they get s manager he approves of

9 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Bruce is your classic semi-decent manager. Agree that he is a better manager than he is made out to be. If he had the riches Ole had, he would have them as a much better side

So you think Bruce would win the league then? Solskjær finished second last season. 

If Stevie is coming, and I suspect it's inevitable, I'd love to see him as an assistant to Jurgen for a couple of years. Whether either would be up for it is a good question, but it would make me far more comfortable if he takes over when Jurgen leaves. 

38 minutes ago, rb14 said:

If Stevie is coming, and I suspect it's inevitable, I'd love to see him as an assistant to Jurgen for a couple of years. Whether either would be up for it is a good question, but it would make me far more comfortable if he takes over when Jurgen leaves. 

That would have to be this summer if klopp leaves as planned. 

48 minutes ago, rb14 said:

1) Do you want us to sack or demote Ljinders?

2) Do you really think Klopp will even entertain whatever your answer to question 1 is for even 1 second?