You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That evra piece is a great illustration of how important it is for a dressing room to respect the manager. It's clear when OGS came in he took a sort of respect from not being Mourinho and his connections to that Ferguson team. It's taken time for the respect to completely fall away, with absolutely no doubt Ronaldo is the accelerant.

If you go back to our time under Souness, he struggled to get his ex-colleagues onside in some cases the same reason as that Moyes chips story. Roy Evans very much followed the OGS path, he wasn't Souness and he'd always been around those winning teams. His accelerant to the lack of respect and cancer in the dressing room was Paul Ince. 

This is why I fear our next managerial appointment. Not only do we need to replace an absolute one off as a manager so they'll need immense talent, but we need someone who fellas with a bunch of medals feel they can respect and listen to. 

Bet you we appoint Pep Lijlnders. 

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That evra piece is a great illustration of how important it is for a dressing room to respect the manager. It's clear when OGS came in he took a sort of respect from not being Mourinho and his connections to that Ferguson team. It's taken time for the respect to completely fall away, with absolutely no doubt Ronaldo is the accelerant.

If you go back to our time under Souness, he struggled to get his ex-colleagues onside in some cases the same reason as that Moyes chips story. Roy Evans very much followed the OGS path, he wasn't Souness and he'd always been around those winning teams. His accelerant to the lack of respect and cancer in the dressing room was Paul Ince. 

This is why I fear our next managerial appointment. Not only do we need to replace an absolute one off as a manager so they'll need immense talent, but we need someone who fellas with a bunch of medals feel they can respect and listen to. 

Good post mate.

Signing ince was the absolute nadir of being a Liverpool supporter in the 90s. Ferguson fucked him off because he was a cunt. No way he should ever have been signed for us.

17 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Good post mate.

Signing ince was the absolute nadir of being a Liverpool supporter in the 90s. Ferguson fucked him off because he was a cunt. No way he should ever have been signed for us.

The interesting thing for me, I think Evans brought him in because he was a cunt. He knew he wasn't tough enough on the players himself, he knew he'd already lost control of the dressing room and Ince was his roll of the dice to get control. Which obviously failed and houllier saw clearly when he joined. 

The funny thing with Ronaldo, I'm not sure OGS really wanted him. It seemed to me as a club they just decided they couldn't let Abu Dhabi have him. It's looking like the best bit of business City did this summer. 

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I watched some highlights of our game on youtube and it suggests another video after of a talksport call re Ole. It was a Leeds fan ringing in recommending Bruce for the job. It was pretty good to be fair, "had success everywhere he has been" "Needs to be given 500m".

I met a United fan a few weeks ago and he was saying they should get Allardyce in. I thought someone had put shrooms in my pint but he was actually serious.

29 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Bet you we appoint Pep Lijlnders. 

I don't know who it'll be. Not every assistant can cut it as a manager. In fact most don't. And lijnders has already failed elsewhere and by all accounts absolutely hated the experience of being boss. I feel sure we'd have never taken him back if they thought he still had ambitions to be a manager. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Its a weird feeling isnt it? The more Klopp elevates this team and his passion and integrity seeps into every part of the club, you just know that the mountain the next manager has to climb is getting higher and higher   

43 minutes ago, Em City said:

I met a United fan a few weeks ago and he was saying they should get Allardyce in. I thought someone had put shrooms in my pint but he was actually serious.

He'd fire them to sixth. Maguire would love it as he could go back to defending the edge of his six yard box. Ronaldo would actually be pretty effective as he's great in the air. 

He'd switch to 4-4-2 and Fernandes and Pogba would never played again. Greenwood would always be on the left so he could be on his crossing foot. Likewise Rashford on the right. 

Henderson

Wan-Bissaka Maguire Jones Shaw

Rashford McTominay Fred Greenwood

Cavani Ronaldo

Henderson and Jones getting the nod over De Gea and Varane because they're good honest British lads who like a pint. 

Not convinced they'd be any worse really. 

6 hours ago, suzy said:

When Neville was trying to defend Ole on Sunday and he wouldn’t agree with Souness it was brilliant when Souness said ‘ok as a Liverpool fan I say carry on doing what you’re doing then’ 

That was brilliant Suzy. Souness is on a different level as a pundit to them all, but it's basically the Neville/Carragher show with over the top nonsense. Souness just wades through the mediocrity of the other pundits. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

The problem with Souness was he saw correctly that the club needed to move into the modern game. He saw how they did things in Italy and saw that was the future. His problem was that he alienated ex colleagues and friends like Rush, Whelan, Nicol and Grobbelar. He felt they weren't the players they had been and he almost humiliated them. They turned their back on him, when they should have been the go to guys for him. They should take blame as well to be fair. He wasn't helped by them being injured all the time. He also didn't help himself by bombing out players like McMahon, Beardsley, Houghton and Staunton, that had a lot to offer still and remained very good players for several years. He layed the blame on them for being greedy in contract talks, yet he gave expensive, inferior  dross like Wright, Ruddock, Dicks etc more money than serial winners. In the case of the last two, guys who were about as far removed from Liverpool players as you could get.

To be fair, he acknowledged his mistakes on Sky and I found it sad to watch. You can see how much the club means to him. For my money, he makes a greatest all-time 11 and not even Kenny does that. At least now, I have put the early 90s to the back of my mind ans can enjoy him for being a really top pundit.

Jurgen will be a beast to replace. I do think Lijnders could be a good shout. He knows the club and the players like him and rate him. It does have the feel of a poisoned chalice though, even if our team are a sound bunch unlike the crew Moyes walked in on. That's why it makes me sick hearing the likes of Rio talking about being a good senior pro - he was probably one of the ones taking the piss out of Moyes behind his back for Zaha sleeping with his daughter. No great lover of Moyes because he played a part in changing the atmosphere between us and Everton, but Rio is an absolute shithouse.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Em City said:

Allardyce with his fingers in Utd piggy bank . Be like all his birthdays in one. 

At the risk of getting slagged I think Bruce could do a job there. He's not the tactical dunce he gets painted all the time and has spent his career working with a load of shite.  That said he looks pretty drained after the Ashley experience  

4 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Allardyce with his fingers in Utd piggy bank . Be like all his birthdays in one. 

At the risk of getting slagged I think Bruce could do a job there. He's not the tactical dunce he gets painted all the time and has spent his career working with a load of shite.  That said he looks pretty drained after the Ashley experience  

Bruce is your classic semi-decent manager. Agree that he is a better manager than he is made out to be. If he had the riches Ole had, he would have them as a much better side

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Its a weird feeling isnt it? The more Klopp elevates this team and his passion and integrity seeps into every part of the club, you just know that the mountain the next manager has to climb is getting higher and higher   

I think it makes it worse as klopp is pretty clear he doesn't see himself going on like Ferguson. I think most of us would expect him to go after this contract (although he had me convinced he was going after the last one). So it leaves us (and not unreasonably) thinking of what is next. 2.5 years is nothing in football and I would think by this summer it starts to impact the decisions of incoming players (and perhaps those going the other way, like Salah). When you put all that together, what a nightmare job it could be for someone. 

26 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

That was brilliant Suzy. Souness is on a different level as a pundit to them all, but it's basically the Neville/Carragher show with over the top nonsense. Souness just wades through the mediocrity of the other pundits. 

The problem with Souness was he saw correctly that the club needed to move into the modern game. He saw how they did things in Italy and saw that was the future. His problem was that he alienated ex colleagues and friends like Rush, Whelan, Nicol and Grobbelar. He felt they weren't the players they had been and he almost humiliated them. They turned their back on him, when they should have been the go to guys for him. They should take blame as well to be fair. He wasn't helped by them being injured all the time. He also didn't help himself by bombing out players like McMahon, Beardsley, Houghton and Staunton, that had a lot to offer still and remained very good players for several years. He layed the blame on them for being greedy in contract talks, yet he gave expensive, inferior  dross like Wright, Ruddock, Dicks etc more money than serial winners. In the case of the last two, guys who were about as far removed from Liverpool players as you could get.

To be fair, he acknowledged his mistakes on Sky and I found it sad to watch. You can see how much the club means to him. For my money, he makes a greatest all-time 11 and not even Kenny does that. At least now, I have put the early 90s to the back of my mind ans can enjoy him for being a really top pundit.

Jurgen will be a beast to replace. I do think Lijnders could be a good shout. He knows the club and the players like him and rate him. It does have the feel of a poisoned chalice though, even if our team are a sound bunch unlike the crew Moyes walked in on. That's why it makes me sick hearing the likes of Rio talking about being a good senior pro - he was probably one of the ones taking the piss out of Moyes behind his back for Zaha sleeping with his daughter. No great lover of Moyes because he played a part in changing the atmosphere between us and Everton, but Rio is an absolute shithouse.

I agree about the Souness stuff. To simplify, he fucked stuff up. So did his players. In not too dissimilar ways to that Moyes story. Which is why I highlighted the chips. 

42 minutes ago, Einch said:

What are the Manc's crying about? They have a club legend in charge with bundles of cash thrown at the team. We had Hodgson FFS and were about to go to the wall. Entitled bastards the lot of em.

Exactly. Plus our fanbase actually did things to make it as difficult as possible for the owners whereas they just get the Norwich scarves out every time there's a bad result. 

Imagine us all protesting against the two cowboys about the debt, the non existent ground and no direction to the club then they buy an ageing player and pay him 500 grand a week. I doubt our fans would have ran down to the ground and spent a fortune on shirts. We'd probably kick off even more for putting the club in more debt and paying ridiculous wages.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Souness was an.awful manager who spent vast amounts of money on shite.

We all know what his biggest mistake was and into sure he ever fully appreciated what he did wrong.

As for kenny not getting into an all time 11...

Sorry I meant a greatest ever all time 11. Kenny walks into a Liverpool one and is probably the first name on the team sheet.

Hard to leave Kenny out but the sheer attacking talent would mean picking him would be a heart over head decision. I genuinely do think Souness walks in to a greatest ever 11 though. If he was Italian or German and had a world cup to his name, I think he would be considered at that level by more than Liverpool (also Uk and Ireland based football fans of other teams) who remember him.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Sorry I meant a greatest ever all time 11. Kenny walks into a Liverpool one and is probably the first name on the team sheet.

Hard to leave Kenny out but the sheer attacking talent would mean picking him would be a heart over head decision. I genuinely do think Souness walks in to a greatest ever 11 though. If he was Italian or German and had a world cup to his name, I think he would be considered at that level by more than Liverpool (also Uk and Ireland based football fans of other teams) who remember him.

There just was an all time 11 thread. Upfront were the real Ronaldo and Maradona, Pele on the bench.

Souness would need to oust either Matthaus or Zidane to get a spot.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

He was utterly immense as a player and had everything. 

Be impossible to leave kenny out though.

Ah ok..trah true but kenny was arguably our greatest ever signing and we got him through selling Keegan.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

If he was English, he might have too. That 86 team could have used him.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

There just was an all time 11 thread. Upfront were the real Ronaldo and Maradona, Pele on the bench.

Souness would need to oust either Matthaus or Zidane to get a spot.

I loved Matthaus and Zidane. Both incredible. Genuinely would put Souness at their level. I'd have him over Matthaus anyway.

Those greatest polls were terrific, but don't want to destroy this glorious thread.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

He was utterly immense as a player and had everything. 

Be impossible to leave kenny out though.

Ah ok..trah true but kenny was arguably our greatest ever signing and we got him through selling Keegan.

Kenny is the greatest Arnie. Mad to think, we got a gigantic upgrade on Keegan, who was incredible himself.

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

If he was English, he might have too. That 86 team could have used him.

If he was English, he would be a Sir amd they might have gone closer to winning a world cup. Possibly won it even in say 1982. Throw in Liam Brady from that period as two wildcards and they would have been really close anyway.

As a manager he was shocking though.

A terrible combination of arrogance and ineptness and should have been fucked off after the rag incident.

Still the 1st liverpool manager I've heard booed.

As for soljaskaar the car park story sums him up.

It's like letting the work experience kid run the show.

Fella in the mirror has continually pushed the give him more time angle and was comparing him with pep and klopp a while ago.

It's going to be sad day when he does go.