You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

6 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

He's not been sacked because we hammered them. They would be setting a precedent of us finishing their managers off after Mourinho.

Manc arrogance holding them back. 

They'll probably lose their 2 next matches, and that's the end of the story.

But one should never underestimate the football God, he's one twisted f**er him.  Looking forward to two very undeserved victories for Ole.

14 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

He's not been sacked because we hammered them. They would be setting a precedent of us finishing their managers off after Mourinho.

Manc arrogance holding them back. 

It's not having a plan B that's holding them back. They were mad not to get Poch when he was available. 

12 hours ago, Boss said:

The problem with United is Ferguson, always has been, always will be. Every decision they make is prefaced through the lens of Alex Ferguson. They pick managers (with no CV) based on how close their style of play is to Ferguson. They pick managers based on where they were born relative to Ferguson. They bring in players that Ferguson would've signed: "he's a United player". They delude themselves into thinking United don't sack managers because of Ferguson. They bring through youth players that are clearly rubbish like Janazai, Blackett and Mejbri because it's the new version of Fergie's Fledglings.

They should do what Chelsea do and hire the best manager available every time. Anyone with a brain wouldn't have hired Ole in the first place. He failed at Cardiff. They could've brought in Zidane years ago when he first left Real Madrid. They could've brought Conte in, in the summer. They could've convinced Simeone to join them at any stage post-Ferguson. They think they are too good for world-class managers. Conte and Simeone's style of play is beneath them. Simeone wins La Ligas against Real Madrid and Barcelona pretty regularly, and these clowns think Ole is more deserving of the role.

It reminds me of us when we were directionless and the fans were asking for Barnes and co to come in to coach the players. Houllier was the best thing that happened to us. He got rid of all the nostalgia laced boot room bollocks that kept us trapped in an era that we couldn't replicate anymore. The idea of the boot room caused us to appoint Evans and excused the cowardice we saw in that era, with the white suits at Wembley and the "pass the pound" bollocks. He brought us kicking and screaming into the modern era. Sometimes you've got to let go of the past to build a new future. Zlatan called it years ago:

"Everything that happens is judged on the era of Ferguson. They are saying if Ferguson was here, this would not happen. Ferguson would not do it like that. Ferguson would do it like this. Everything was Ferguson. If it was me I'd say we don't have Ferguson anymore. I come here and I want to make my own history. My own story. I don't want to hear about what happened before. I want to do it in the present. You come in with a new mentality."

Bang on the money. 

They were exactly the same with Busby. He stayed around the club, and while he was gentlemanly unlike Ferguson, they couldn't 'move on' with him still there. 

History repeating, they don't learn do they.

Long may it continue. 

20 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Not sure about this theory. Bayern kept Franz Beckenbauer involved, and they were successful.

Certainly the appointment of Moyes was because Ferguson was picking someone to protect his own legacy. If Moyes was a success, it was all down to Ferguson and if he failed, it was all down to Moyes. I don't know how much influence he still has, but I thought he was still advised the board on football matters and OGS was his idea. Who in their right mind would choose him? That's his ego right there. I don't know if that is down to having a manager who's been around a quarter of a century or because of who that ex-manager is. I suspect the latter. 

But your point about beckenbauer isn't quite the same is it? He was Munich manager for about 3 minutes. Manchester united's problem is Ferguson built a club in his image and was there for decades. That club then has to run without him when he is still the biggest figure around the club - the success before and the club was built on the manager being the main man. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

It's not having a plan B that's holding them back. They were mad not to get Poch when he was available. 

I reckon he’s the one they’re waiting for. PSG’s a 2 year job and it won’t harm his CV if he doesn’t win the CL this year. 

13 hours ago, Boss said:

The problem with United is Ferguson, always has been, always will be. Every decision they make is prefaced through the lens of Alex Ferguson. They pick managers (with no CV) based on how close their style of play is to Ferguson. They pick managers based on where they were born relative to Ferguson. They bring in players that Ferguson would've signed: "he's a United player". They delude themselves into thinking United don't sack managers because of Ferguson. They bring through youth players that are clearly rubbish like Janazai, Blackett and Mejbri because it's the new version of Fergie's Fledglings.

They should do what Chelsea do and hire the best manager available every time. Anyone with a brain wouldn't have hired Ole in the first place. He failed at Cardiff. They could've brought in Zidane years ago when he first left Real Madrid. They could've brought Conte in, in the summer. They could've convinced Simeone to join them at any stage post-Ferguson. They think they are too good for world-class managers. Conte and Simeone's style of play is beneath them. Simeone wins La Ligas against Real Madrid and Barcelona pretty regularly, and these clowns think Ole is more deserving of the role.

It reminds me of us when we were directionless and the fans were asking for Barnes and co to come in to coach the players. Houllier was the best thing that happened to us. He got rid of all the nostalgia laced boot room bollocks that kept us trapped in an era that we couldn't replicate anymore. The idea of the boot room caused us to appoint Evans and excused the cowardice we saw in that era, with the white suits at Wembley and the "pass the pound" bollocks. He brought us kicking and screaming into the modern era. Sometimes you've got to let go of the past to build a new future. Zlatan called it years ago:

"Everything that happens is judged on the era of Ferguson. They are saying if Ferguson was here, this would not happen. Ferguson would not do it like that. Ferguson would do it like this. Everything was Ferguson. If it was me I'd say we don't have Ferguson anymore. I come here and I want to make my own history. My own story. I don't want to hear about what happened before. I want to do it in the present. You come in with a new mentality."

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

Bang on the money. 

They were exactly the same with Busby. He stayed around the club, and while he was gentlemanly unlike Ferguson, they couldn't 'move on' with him still there. 

History repeating, they don't learn do they.

Long may it continue. 

This is why the club had to be firm with Shankly and via Bob, eventually stopping him going to Melwood where the players still called him 'boss,' also in front of Bob.

Liverpool learnt from united and Busby hanging around old trafford long after he retired, that it not only held the club back but, undermined succesive managers.

Hard as it was on Bill, it had to be done. Of course all the blue shite like to make issue of it but you need the clean break.

What I did notice for our humiliation of united, there was none of this bollocks about ferguson being in the dressing room to deliver 'inspirational' speeches before trying to take us on. Looks like even ferguson has cast the gimp adrift!

• Upvote 2

Perception is Utd's biggest problem, they're desperate to be seen a certain way over and above doing the right thing for the club.

The Ronaldo signing sums them up, while football is moving back to the team over the individual Utd are going in the opposite direction. 

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

This is why the club had to be firm with Shankly and via Bob, eventually stopping him going to Melwood where the players still called him 'boss,' also in front of Bob.

Liverpool learnt from united and Busby hanging around old trafford long after he retired, that it not only held the club back but, undermined succesive managers.

Hard as it was on Bill, it had to be done. Of course all the blue shite like to make issue of it but you need the clean break.

What I did notice for our humiliation of united, there was none ofthis bollocks about ferguson being in the dressing room to deliver 'inspirational' speeches before trying to take us on. Looks like even ferguson has cast the gimp adrift!

Yep. Also bang on the money.

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Certainly the appointment of Moyes was because Ferguson was picking someone to protect his own legacy. If Moyes was a success, it was all down to Ferguson and if he failed, it was all down to Moyes. I don't know how much influence he still has, but I thought he was still advised the board on football matters and OGS was his idea. Who in their right mind would choose him? That's his ego right there. I don't know if that is down to having a manager who's been around a quarter of a century or because of who that ex-manager is. I suspect the latter. 

But your point about beckenbauer isn't quite the same is it? He was Munich manager for about 3 minutes. Manchester united's problem is Ferguson built a club in his image and was there for decades. That club then has to run without him when he is still the biggest figure around the club - the success before and the club was built on the manager being the main man. 

Very true. Bayern have always had ex-players involved in the running of the club, but that's a Bayern thing, not a Beckenbauer or Rummenigge thing. Players move from the pitch to the dugout and to the boardroom, but it's nothing exceptional and the club carries on.

Ferguson's involvement is very definitely a Ferguson thing. As @Boss says above - as long as he's around, they'll still always maintain that 90s nostalgia: given the world of football has moved on almost unrecognisably from that era, that's not a good thing. And yet they think it is.

I was chatting to one of the other dads at my girls football training on Friday evening, not realising he was a United supporter, but knowing he knew I was a Liverpool fan, and we were talking about the match and about United being shit, but that with 5 or 6 potential match winners in yet team I was still not looking forward to it.

In amongst it all I shared my thoughts on Solskjaer, and think I nailed it when I said “he’s not a manager, he’s just doing an impression of what he thinks a manager is”

id not thought that before then, but now I think it’s spot on, even down to being the only coach that still wears a blazer.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Not sure about this theory. Bayern kept Franz Beckenbauer involved, and they were successful.

Yeah. Ferguson croaking it in the morning wouldn't improve their prospects one jot. They, like Liverpool, can't compete with the financial dopers. Their only hope, like Liverpool, is in having the best coach of their generation. So, like Liverpool, they appointed...oh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I was chatting to one of the other dads at my girls football training on Friday evening, not realising he was a United supporter, but knowing he knew I was a Liverpool fan, and we were talking about the match and about United being shit, but that with 5 or 6 potential match winners in yet team I was still not looking forward to it.

In amongst it all I shared my thoughts on Solskjaer, and think I nailed it when I said “he’s not a manager, he’s just doing an impression of what he thinks a manager is”

id not thought that before then, but now I think it’s spot on, even down to being the only coach that still wears a blazer.

Yep, always felt the same. Loads of overcompensation and pointing, talking about "the boys" and "lads", like he isn't still a pubescent spunk stain in managerial terms.

Wears the blazer like a schoolboy on work experience whose mum told him he looks the part. Surprised he doesn't carry an attache case with his Transformers lunch box to the dugout the little weirdo.

Transformers lunch boxes were great, mind.

14 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yep, always felt the same. Loads of overcompensation and pointing, talking about "the boys" and "lads", like he isn't still a pubescent spunk stain in managerial terms.

Wears the blazer like a schoolboy on work experience whose mum told him he looks the part. Surprised he doesn't carry an attache case with his Transformers lunch box to the dugout the little weirdo.

Transformers lunch boxes were great, mind.

Transformers? Solskjaer would have a Gobots lunch box.

• Upvote 3

On 28/05/2021 at 11:16, Vincent Vega said:

They gave Mourinho a new contract in January 2018 and sacked him in December 2018. I can see a similar thing happening if they get off to a bad start next season. How could any boardroom watch that final and think about rewarding that manager with a new contract?

How on earth did they give him a new three year contract back in the summer. My post above was probably the view of about 95% of people who follow football. 

Like someone said before, the arrogance of them is astounding.Conte is one of the most successful coaches in world football and they think they are above him. 

Even if he goes there,they will be back at sq 1 in 2 years.They have no plan there whatsoever,everyone there from manager,coaching staff to recruitment are learning on the job.

They just think  they can  throw money at the problem at it will will solve itself.

It's an absolute circus and its glorious to watch.

12 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Like someone said before, the arrogance of them is astounding.Conte is one of the most successful coaches in world football and they think they are above him. 

Even if he goes there,they will be back at sq 1 in 2 years.They have no plan there whatsoever,everyone there from manager,coaching staff to recruitment are learning on the job.

They just think  they can  throw money at the problem at it will will solve itself.

It's an absolute circus and its glorious to watch.

I think their plan was one you'd expect from someone with nothing more than a passing interest in football.

1. Get a manager who "knows the club"

2. Start buying younger players with resale value as that's what everyone else seems to be doing. 

3. Buy big named footballers who will continue to bring social media hits and maintain marketability regardless of if you win trophies. 

4. What can possibly go wrong? 

The real problem Utd and every new manager they might appoint have, is the fact Liverpool and City both have managers who have broke the 95 point line in the PL, and they have both done it twice and they will most likely do it again. 

No manager at Utd have done that.