You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

5 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Utd don't have the players for Pochettino or Ten Haag to succeed in the short term. Conte, on the other hand, could get a tune out of them just by reverting to what Solskjaer was doing before he started thinking he was a proper manager, namely counter attacking. Conte would have them sitting deep, maybe three at the back, and rely on Fernandes or Pogba linking up with their fast forwards. Simple, but effective.

Yeah, Conte, we shouldn't want him to go there. Yeah, it would blow up in two years but his teams are just really hard to play against and he gets big effort and efficiency out of players. I thought it was weird Chelsea would go to him after Mourinho and I learned my lesson. He's a menace. 

On 19/10/2021 at 14:31, lebron said:

Have to say, I think their squad is incredibly overrated. People thinking it's just about the manager are way off in my opinion. There are quite a few players there that are physically gifted, but most of them lack either the desire or technical-tactical know-how to be components in a great side.

I'd love to have Greenwood as a long-term successor to Salah, and as shit as he's been over the last couple of seasons, De Gea is still one of the best keepers in the world, and on his best day I still think he's the best shot-stopper in the world. I wouldn't touch their midfield or defence though, and less said about the current version of C Ronaldo the better. If I were to pick players for Jurgen to use in our side, the list would be very short. 

Would:

Greenwood (understudy to Salah, and would walk into every other side in the country and world). Think his best position is at RW though, and Salah is undoubtedly even better.

Varane (total luxury given that we have Matip, Gomez and Konate, but he would be the only one I'd consider putting into a combined 1st eleven, mostly based on what he's done before and him still being in his relative prime)

Rashford (great potential, but not as good as Mane)

Bruno (doubt he'd fit in our midfield 3, but a good player no doubt.) Would face the same problems as Shaq when he was here.

De Gea (his lack of distribution skills would see him as understudy to Allison)

Maybe:

Shaw (very good left back when fit). Would have been good cover for Robbo before we got a tune out of Tsimikas

Sancho (great potential). Not sure I see him as the all conquering winger in the PL though. Another Bundesliga signing struggling to produce the numbers he got in a much more open league. Possible understudy to Mane?

Cavani (could fill in for Bobby from time to time). Relative lack of pace and interplay would be a hindrance for us though. Prefer Jota.

Matic - still their best central midfielder at 48 years of age. Turns like a super tanker, but has more football intelligence than the other midfielders they have combined. Could be useful in the cups for us.

Definitely not:

Maguire (Completely unsuited to our playing style. Great in the air, should be playing for a side that sets up at their own 17yd line and has no emphasis of playing out from the back.) While the debate has been who to partner Maguire with, it should really be who to partner Varane with if they are going to see some progressive football over there.

Ronaldo (again, completely unsuited to us. Will no doubt score plenty of goals for them, but will act to the detriment of what they were building before they came in. His lack of pressing would kill our game stone dead.

Wan-Bissaka. A worse footballer with the ball at his feet you will struggle to find in the PL. Very good tackler, and would be great for Burnley, Palace etc together with Maguire.

McTominay - good enginge and a physical playing style, could be an option for the cups and whenever playing lower league opposition.

Are you kidding me:

Fred

Martial (lazy)

Pogba (lazier, probably as far away from a Klopp player as possible)

They could possibly be relatively successful under someone like Conte/Simeone if they based their style on hard work and grit and played a bit more of a defensive style than us and City. Lining up like this;

-------------------------De Gea---------------------------

----Wan Bissaka---Varane--Lindelof----Shaw------

----------------------Matic------------------------------

--------McTominay-----------Bruno------------------

Greenwood----------Cavani-----------Rashford----

If they are ever to catch us (and play like us) and City; these are the ones they could build on:

---------------------De Gea--------------------------

-----------Varane----------------------Shaw---------

---------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------Bruno-------------------

---Greenwood----------------------------Rashford---

With Sancho able to deputise for Greenwood and Rashford. Neither of those are great options at CF at the moment, but could possibly be suited to that role in the future (most likely Greenwood).

So, a new:

RB

CB

CDM

CM (box to box, but not as attacking as Bruno)

CF (able to lead the press)

Ha-ha, I'm having an absolute blast revelling in their mediocrity!

I really, really hope they extend Pogba's contract, and that Ronaldo stays there for the remainder of his. It's going to be absolutely toxic for any manager going there. I just can't believe that they finally got rid of an over the hill Rooney (who they had to pick to not unsettle the dressing room), and went out and bought themselves an even bigger problem in Ronaldo!!! Thank you to the Sheiks at City for setting that one up!

Disclaimer: I'm in no way ruling out that they get a result against us on Sunday. Their players up top are fully capable of delivering a wonderful pass or terrific shot to give them the lead. They will then raise their game even more than usual, and sitting in their own half could prove difficult to break down, as their back 6 will probably be suited to that. Solskjær will definitely play the McT/Fred combo to try and rough us up in the middle of the park, he'll maybe even go with Matic to give some protection to the CB's.

Yeah, their problems won't go away by only swapping managers... some of their players are absolute shite, and completely unsuited to the way the best managers want to set up their side. Their best hope is setting up defensively with Conte as a manager.

I don't think their fans have thought through the Conte shouts.

Yeah, he'll definitely make them better in the short term (it'd actually be hard to do worse than Ole) but the football will be turgid. He's not playing Rashford, Ronaldo, Greenwood and Fernandes in the same team, that's for sure! Lingard will see more minutes than Greenwood if Conte comes in.

10 minutes ago, lebron said:

Yeah, their problems won't go away by only swapping managers... some of their players are absolute shite, and completely unsuited to the way the best managers want to set up their side. Their best hope is setting up defensively with Conte as a manager.

It's like when their fans first started singing Ole's at the wheel; when I heard the line "We've got Sanchez and Pogba and Fred" I just thought "well, there's your problem".

1 minute ago, Leyton388 said:

Conte will stick around for 2 to 3 season then be off. He's like Jose in that he's short term.

Yes.

Which means he'll have them challenging for 2 to 3 years.

How is that in anyway a good thing?

• Upvote 1

The problem with United is Ferguson, always has been, always will be. Every decision they make is prefaced through the lens of Alex Ferguson. They pick managers (with no CV) based on how close their style of play is to Ferguson. They pick managers based on where they were born relative to Ferguson. They bring in players that Ferguson would've signed: "he's a United player". They delude themselves into thinking United don't sack managers because of Ferguson. They bring through youth players that are clearly rubbish like Janazai, Blackett and Mejbri because it's the new version of Fergie's Fledglings.

They should do what Chelsea do and hire the best manager available every time. Anyone with a brain wouldn't have hired Ole in the first place. He failed at Cardiff. They could've brought in Zidane years ago when he first left Real Madrid. They could've brought Conte in, in the summer. They could've convinced Simeone to join them at any stage post-Ferguson. They think they are too good for world-class managers. Conte and Simeone's style of play is beneath them. Simeone wins La Ligas against Real Madrid and Barcelona pretty regularly, and these clowns think Ole is more deserving of the role.

It reminds me of us when we were directionless and the fans were asking for Barnes and co to come in to coach the players. Houllier was the best thing that happened to us. He got rid of all the nostalgia laced boot room bollocks that kept us trapped in an era that we couldn't replicate anymore. The idea of the boot room caused us to appoint Evans and excused the cowardice we saw in that era, with the white suits at Wembley and the "pass the pound" bollocks. He brought us kicking and screaming into the modern era. Sometimes you've got to let go of the past to build a new future. Zlatan called it years ago:

"Everything that happens is judged on the era of Ferguson. They are saying if Ferguson was here, this would not happen. Ferguson would not do it like that. Ferguson would do it like this. Everything was Ferguson. If it was me I'd say we don't have Ferguson anymore. I come here and I want to make my own history. My own story. I don't want to hear about what happened before. I want to do it in the present. You come in with a new mentality."

• Upvote 8

27 minutes ago, Boss said:

The problem with United is Ferguson, always has been, always will be. Every decision they make is prefaced through the lens of Alex Ferguson. They pick managers (with no CV) based on how close their style of play is to Ferguson. They pick managers based on where they were born relative to Ferguson. They bring in players that Ferguson would've signed: "he's a United player". They delude themselves into thinking United don't sack managers because of Ferguson. They bring through youth players that are clearly rubbish like Janazai, Blackett and Mejbri because it's the new version of Fergie's Fledglings.

They should do what Chelsea do and hire the best manager available every time. Anyone with a brain wouldn't have hired Ole in the first place. He failed at Cardiff. They could've brought in Zidane years ago when he first left Real Madrid. They could've brought Conte in, in the summer. They could've convinced Simeone to join them at any stage post-Ferguson. They think they are too good for world-class managers. Conte and Simeone's style of play is beneath them. Simeone wins La Ligas against Real Madrid and Barcelona pretty regularly, and these clowns think Ole is more deserving of the role.

It reminds me of us when we were directionless and the fans were asking for Barnes and co to come in to coach the players. Houllier was the best thing that happened to us. He got rid of all the nostalgia laced boot room bollocks that kept us trapped in an era that we couldn't replicate anymore. The idea of the boot room caused us to appoint Evans and excused the cowardice we saw in that era, with the white suits at Wembley and the "pass the pound" bollocks. He brought us kicking and screaming into the modern era. Sometimes you've got to let go of the past to build a new future. Zlatan called it years ago:

"Everything that happens is judged on the era of Ferguson. They are saying if Ferguson was here, this would not happen. Ferguson would not do it like that. Ferguson would do it like this. Everything was Ferguson. If it was me I'd say we don't have Ferguson anymore. I come here and I want to make my own history. My own story. I don't want to hear about what happened before. I want to do it in the present. You come in with a new mentality."

Absolutely spot on, they think they are too good for two brilliant managers in Simeone and Conte. Surely the United way no more than the Liverpool way is winning or at least challenging at the business end of things.

Conte would sweep a lot of shite away. He would be huge for them and is actually what they need. Hopefully he gets a gig before Ole gets the chop. 

Utd team under Conte would be;

---------------------de Gea---------------------

WanBissaka--Varane-Lindelof-Maguire--Shaw

-----------------------Matic------------------------

------------McTominay-----Pogba or Fernandes--

----Greenwood---Cavani-------Rashford-------

There's no way Ronaldo or Fernandes are on board with that, and I can easily see that club/board sounding out the "senior" players before making an appointment. It's their Gerrard/Carra Curbishley moment. It's beautiful, it really is!

On Conte getting results with them. They will definitely be harder to beat with him at the helm. They won't get close to us and City while we have Pep and Klopp though....

58 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I don't think their fans have thought through the Conte shouts.

Yeah, he'll definitely make them better in the short term (it'd actually be hard to do worse than Ole) but the football will be turgid. He's not playing Rashford, Ronaldo, Greenwood and Fernandes in the same team, that's for sure! Lingard will see more minutes than Greenwood if Conte comes in.

On RedCafe the majority don’t want Conte, for various reasons, but all the noise is pointing to Ole going now unfortunately and Conte coming in. 

He’LL improve them, obviously, but they’re still gonna be a way behind the top three teams.

15 minutes ago, lebron said:

Utd team under Conte would be;

---------------------de Gea---------------------

WanBissaka--Varane-Lindelof-Maguire--Shaw

-----------------------Matic------------------------

------------McTominay-----Pogba or Fernandes--

----Greenwood---Cavani-------Rashford-------

There's no way Ronaldo or Fernandes are on board with that, and I can easily see that club/board sounding out the "senior" players before making an appointment. It's their Gerrard/Carra Curbishley moment. It's beautiful, it really is!

On Conte getting results with them. They will definitely be harder to beat with him at the helm. They won't get close to us and City while we have Pep and Klopp though....

Conte will do well if he picks that team. He'll have 12 players while his opponents have 11.

9 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

Ajax are coached to play like that all the way through their academy. He would probably find it difficult to replicate that at UTD before loosing his job. Their central defence is too slow to play the high line that he likes.

I was going to say. Surely at Ajax you’re told how you’re going to play & who your squad is by the Club/Academy. Sure he’s done well with it, but that’s an ecosystem at work, not one manager. 

• Upvote 2

I don’t think they’ll risk Ollie staying at the wheel for the City game. They get another battering in that one and the irritation levels among their support will be wonderful.

A bad result/performance at Spurs will make it an easy decision, particularly if Conte is available and willing.

Even if they win, I still think they might make a change before Pep comes to their joint. 

• Upvote 1