You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

I thought Pochettino would be ideal for Utd a year or so back, I was wrong.

He needs to manage teams like Dortmund, Leipzig, Athletico Madrid not Man Utd, PSG, Man City. The minute Spurs players started getting ahead of themselves and the ego's crept in it fell apart for him.

If he could get in on the ground floor at Newcastle it'd work but he seems to struggle with the massive ego's and works better as an underdog.

What’s the deal with Poch? Has his stock fallen recently?

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Pochettino works best as a manager who never actually wins anything (does anyone actually ‘manage’ PSG?). He’d be ideal, but it’s unlikely I’d say. 

No, and I was listening to the most popular football show in France yesterday night and one of the pundits said he'd never be critical of a PSG manager ever again because it's been proven it's simply not possible to manage them. The players play when they want, they show up when they want. They truly care for about 10 games per season. Tuchel said it in an interview recently; his job there was more akin to a sports minister than coach. Whatever that means, but basically, you can't coach that team, it's the players that decide. Basically, what Pochettino is doing there isn't very relevant. 

I think what Pochettino did at Spurs will always be impressive but I don't know if he can do what Tuchel did at Chelsea and take a big club to the top. He's slightly behind tactically from the very best. I still don't want him at United, though. We need them to keep going for retreads, ex-United players and coaches with no philosophy. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

As much as I enjoyed yesterday, part of me thinks winning 5-0 was a little much a bit like going for that second slice of amazing cake which is great at the time but it leaves none for tomorrow. 

we devoured Ole, when we could have prolonged the joy a little longer.

I think we made a conscious decision to save some cake, 5-0 is bad but 6 or 7, there is no coming back from that. Sir Alex lost by 5 at home after all and of its good enough for him....

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, and I was listening to the most popular football show in France yesterday night and one of the pundits said he'd never be critical of a PSG manager ever again because it's been proven it's simply not possible to manage them. The players play when they want, they show up when they want. They truly care for about 10 games per season. Tuchel said it in an interview recently; his job there was more akin to a sports minister than coach. Whatever that means, but basically, you can't coach that team, it's the players that decide. Basically, what Pochettino is doing there isn't very relevant. 

I think what Pochettino did at Spurs will always be impressive but I don't know if he can do what Tuchel did at Chelsea and take a big club to the top. He's slightly behind tactically from the very best. I still don't want him at United, though. We need them to keep going for retreads, ex-United players and coaches with no philosophy. 

Think its ridiculous when people use the 'never won argument here when you look at the strength of the top 4 and the stranglehold city have over even the likes of the league cup.

Poch is a very good manager and was probally 1 or 2 players away from winning the league.

He transformed spurs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Moo said:

Despite how out of his depth everyone knows Solskjaer is, I do think they have a bit of a dilemma in which direction to go next, which is probably buying him more time. Conte would be the most obvious in terms of experience and winning things, so in that respect the least risky, but he can be a divisive figure and his style of football isn't always what you would want as a supporter, especially if you believe that attacking football is at the core of the club's values.  They've only recently mentally recovered from Mourinho's time at the club, would they want someone similar so soon?

Nearly everyone else available is a bigger risk than Conte, is it a risk worth taking right now?

Most commentators believe Solskjaer has done a decent job to this point but that it needs someone better to take them to the next level, but for loyal supporters that must seem really harsh.  If a club legend doesn't get the chance to see his efforts come to fruition, what chance does anyone else stand? And so they sack him and the merry-go-round continues?  You can see why they'd want to stick with him a bit longer.

As an aside, I do think Ronaldo has caused him a problem.  Like many, I said that he would do just fine scoring goals, fitness wise etc, but that it could upset the squad.  Not only that but it could have upset Solskjaer's plans for the season.  He signs Sancho to a massive fanfare, next superstar, guaranteed starter etc.  Cavani was clearly having a great influence on the younger players and relishing that role, Fernandes loving himself as the darling of the fans.  New season, new plans, clear idea of formation etc.  Then someone else decides they have to sign Ronaldo and all the "baggage" he brings both good and bad, rug pulled out from under the manager's feet, other player's noses out of joint. I've no doubt they would be doing better overall at this point of the season had Ronaldo not signed, and that's on the club, not Solskjaer.

Where does this legend thing come from btw?

From memory the little runt wasnt even in the 1st 11 most of the time.

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Where does this legend thing come from btw?

From memory the little runt wasnt even in the 1st 11 most of the time.

Depends on your definition of legend of course but I've got no problem with anyone who considers Smicer and Origi to be LFC legends.  Most of their support consider him a legend.