You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

On 19/10/2021 at 13:31, lebron said:

Have to say, I think their squad is incredibly overrated. People thinking it's just about the manager are way off in my opinion. There are quite a few players there that are physically gifted, but most of them lack either the desire or technical-tactical know-how to be components in a great side.

I'd love to have Greenwood as a long-term successor to Salah, and as shit as he's been over the last couple of seasons, De Gea is still one of the best keepers in the world, and on his best day I still think he's the best shot-stopper in the world. I wouldn't touch their midfield or defence though, and less said about the current version of C Ronaldo the better. If I were to pick players for Jurgen to use in our side, the list would be very short. 

Would:

Greenwood (understudy to Salah, and would walk into every other side in the country and world). Think his best position is at RW though, and Salah is undoubtedly even better.

Varane (total luxury given that we have Matip, Gomez and Konate, but he would be the only one I'd consider putting into a combined 1st eleven, mostly based on what he's done before and him still being in his relative prime)

Rashford (great potential, but not as good as Mane)

Bruno (doubt he'd fit in our midfield 3, but a good player no doubt.) Would face the same problems as Shaq when he was here.

De Gea (his lack of distribution skills would see him as understudy to Allison)

Maybe:

Shaw (very good left back when fit). Would have been good cover for Robbo before we got a tune out of Tsimikas

Sancho (great potential). Not sure I see him as the all conquering winger in the PL though. Another Bundesliga signing struggling to produce the numbers he got in a much more open league. Possible understudy to Mane?

Cavani (could fill in for Bobby from time to time). Relative lack of pace and interplay would be a hindrance for us though. Prefer Jota.

Matic - still their best central midfielder at 48 years of age. Turns like a super tanker, but has more football intelligence than the other midfielders they have combined. Could be useful in the cups for us.

Definitely not:

Maguire (Completely unsuited to our playing style. Great in the air, should be playing for a side that sets up at their own 17yd line and has no emphasis of playing out from the back.) While the debate has been who to partner Maguire with, it should really be who to partner Varane with if they are going to see some progressive football over there.

Ronaldo (again, completely unsuited to us. Will no doubt score plenty of goals for them, but will act to the detriment of what they were building before they came in. His lack of pressing would kill our game stone dead.

Wan-Bissaka. A worse footballer with the ball at his feet you will struggle to find in the PL. Very good tackler, and would be great for Burnley, Palace etc together with Maguire.

McTominay - good enginge and a physical playing style, could be an option for the cups and whenever playing lower league opposition.

Are you kidding me:

Fred

Martial (lazy)

Pogba (lazier, probably as far away from a Klopp player as possible)

They could possibly be relatively successful under someone like Conte/Simeone if they based their style on hard work and grit and played a bit more of a defensive style than us and City. Lining up like this;

-------------------------De Gea---------------------------

----Wan Bissaka---Varane--Lindelof----Shaw------

----------------------Matic------------------------------

--------McTominay-----------Bruno------------------

Greenwood----------Cavani-----------Rashford----

If they are ever to catch us (and play like us) and City; these are the ones they could build on:

---------------------De Gea--------------------------

-----------Varane----------------------Shaw---------

---------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------Bruno-------------------

---Greenwood----------------------------Rashford---

With Sancho able to deputise for Greenwood and Rashford. Neither of those are great options at CF at the moment, but could possibly be suited to that role in the future (most likely Greenwood).

So, a new:

RB

CB

CDM

CM (box to box, but not as attacking as Bruno)

CF (able to lead the press)

Ha-ha, I'm having an absolute blast revelling in their mediocrity!

I really, really hope they extend Pogba's contract, and that Ronaldo stays there for the remainder of his. It's going to be absolutely toxic for any manager going there. I just can't believe that they finally got rid of an over the hill Rooney (who they had to pick to not unsettle the dressing room), and went out and bought themselves an even bigger problem in Ronaldo!!! Thank you to the Sheiks at City for setting that one up!

Disclaimer: I'm in no way ruling out that they get a result against us on Sunday. Their players up top are fully capable of delivering a wonderful pass or terrific shot to give them the lead. They will then raise their game even more than usual, and sitting in their own half could prove difficult to break down, as their back 6 will probably be suited to that. Solskjær will definitely play the McT/Fred combo to try and rough us up in the middle of the park, he'll maybe even go with Matic to give some protection to the CB's.

On 19/10/2021 at 13:35, lebron said:

Line-up prediction for Sunday:

--------------------De Gea-----------------------

--Wan-Bissaka---Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw---

--------------------Matic---------------------

---------McTominay-----Pogba-------------

-------------------Bruno----------------------

--------Greenwood---Ronaldo-------------

Why are you calling Fernandes “Bruno”? 

• Upvote 4

I didn't understand the logic of those of thought a Utd win was the best scenario tonight before Sunday. A good thumping in a shambolic performance is what we want, Ole is not a man that will react well to severe pressure.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think they'd sack him with the group stage still going on and also they're only 5 points back in the league. Once they don't make the knockout stage if they don't make it, he'll be a goner.

They're bottom of the group and no ones believes they're going to be contenders in the league.

I would love him to stay but he's definitely a goner. Even Neville can barely defend him anymore.

Just now, No2 said:

I didn't understand the logic of those of thought a Utd win was the best scenario tonight before Sunday. A good thumping in a shambolic performance is what we want, Ole is not a man that will react well to severe pressure.

Don't think this game matters that much, it's more a general trend. When the pressure is on they end up picking up a result against a top side (City wins have saved them a few times) and then strung a few results together to take the pressure off.

Rinse and repeat.

16 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Don't think this game matters that much, it's more a general trend. When the pressure is on they end up picking up a result against a top side (City wins have saved them a few times) and then strung a few results together to take the pressure off.

Rinse and repeat.

This is different, he's never been this close to the dole. He needs a result tonight.

35 minutes ago, No2 said:

Just feel that if they are on the wrong end of a result again tonight that the crisis talk will go into overdrive and may illicit a siege mentallity repsonse from them Sunday...Whereas if they get a result tonight (especially given how the media and pundits fawn over everything they do) the pressure lifts a touch and the noise dies down ahead of our game, with him having smoke blown up his arse between now and then....

Hoepfully that leads to a bit of over confidence and we go there and burst the bubble, but he stays in his job.

The Ronaldo stuff is cringeworthy when you remember being a Liverpool fan in the 90s.

Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, have no tactics, depend on one star player to drag you out of the shit, laud them widely afterwards. 

It don't win you trophies.