You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

Was this shown on the tv?

Or mentioned by anyone anywhere?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/11/cristiano-ronaldo-plane-banner-protest-as-striker-returns-to-manchester-united

Cristiano Ronaldo: plane banner protest as striker returns to Manchester United

Feminist group Level Up says it flew message over Old Trafford in support of woman accusing footballer of sexual assault

Plane above Old Trafford on the return of Cristiano Ronaldo towing a message about Kathryn Mayorga who alleged that she was raped by Ronaldo in 2009
The banner referred to allegations of rape made against Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian

PA Media
Sat 11 Sep 2021 19.24 BST

Last modified on Sat 11 Sep 2021 20.00 BST

A banner backing a woman who claims to have been sexually assaulted by Cristiano Ronaldo was flown over Old Trafford stadium during the footballer’s first game back at Manchester United on Saturday.

The banner, which read “Believe Kathryn Mayorga,” referred to allegations of rape made against the Portuguese international footballer in 2009.

Feminist campaign group Level Up claimed responsibility for the stunt.

Mayorga has claimed the player assaulted her in a hotel suite bedroom after she met him in a nightclub in Las Vegas. Ronaldo maintains the sex was consensual.

Mayorga is currently trying to pursue a civil claim after the criminal complaint was dismissed.

Las Vegas police reinvestigated the claims in 2018 but decided they could not “be proven beyond reasonable doubt”.

In October 2018 Ronaldo tweeted: “I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in. Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.”

Mayorga has filed a civil lawsuit in the US claiming “battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, coercion, fraud, abuse of a vulnerable person, racketeering, defamation, abuse of process, negligence and breach of contract”.

The banner appeared about five minutes into Manchester United’s game against Newcastle on Saturday, in which Ronaldo was part of the starting lineup.

The striker received loud cheers from fans as he took to the pitch before the game, in which he scored two goals in a 4-1 victory.

Janey Starling, co-director of Level Up, said: “Manchester United has welcomed Cristiano like a hero, and created a culture of silence about the rape allegations made against him. That ends today.”

In 2019 lawyers representing Ronaldo won a US courtroom bid to block Mayorga from digging into the validity of a confidentiality agreement made between them in 2010 in which she was paid $375,000 (£270,000).

Mayorga, from Nevada, gave consent through her lawyers in 2018 to be identified.

• Upvote 1

Twats getting carried away. Ronaldo is still a deadly finisher so will bury most chances that comes his way but you'd think he scored the goals of the century yesterday the way the media have been going on. One was the easiest tap in he'll ever get and the other was down to Adrianesque goal keeping.

13 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Twats getting carried away. Ronaldo is still a deadly finisher so will bury most chances that comes his way but you'd think he scored the goals of the century yesterday the way the media have been going on. One was the easiest tap in he'll ever get and the other was down to Adrianesque goal keeping.

And it's Newcastle, a team a lot of people are tipping for relegation. Let's be honest a home win was a banker. 

Not seen the goals but as you've said nothing special, if he wasn't there then someone else is having an easy brace.

Anyway, fuck them the part time protesting weapons.

53 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I've just seen the goals now on SSN. Fucking hell, we could do with someone keeping goal like that against us. Both goals 100% on the keeper. 

19 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

See the elf is blaming the ref for the loss. He really is a cunt.

I've seen a few people on Twitter contrasting the way the Mancs folded quicker than Superman on laundry day because they went a man down to some place-fillers with the way Chelsea responded to their red card at Anfield by solidifying into an unbreachable defensive bloc.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've seen a few people on Twitter contrasting the way the Mancs folded quicker than Superman on laundry day because they went a man down to some place-fillers with the way Chelsea responded to their red card at Anfield by solidifying into an unbreachable defensive bloc.

It's telling that the only goals Chelsea and Liverpool have conceded were against each other, and even then, both could be considered a bit unlucky. 

These twats have had a relatively soft start to the season and still conceded 5 from 5. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Whoever it was on the podcast recently that expressed the hope that Man United would persist in not seeing how the likes of Tuchel would transform them should be feeling pretty smug right now. Then again, it seems blatantly obvious to all of us. This must be what it was like to people on the outside watching Liverpool supporters chundering on during the 90's about how the Boot Room philosophy would get Liverpool back to the top it just needed time any day now any day now...

• Upvote 2

European footy is class, has a real way of giving managers fewer hiding places and thus sorting the men from the boys. Brendan is fucking awful at it, it's one of the reasons I've no real regrets about him no matter what he does domestically with Leicester - whenever he lines up against a continental team - no matter their calibre - he's found wanting, and as far as I'm concerned it's an absolute essential part of the job description that a Liverpool manager makes a dent in Europe.

Solskjaer is weird. He got some good results against decent teams in the Europa last year (Milan springs to mind) but swap the same team to a Tuesday or Wednesday night and it turns to shit. Young Boys are pure Europa League and I've no doubt they'd have splatted them had last night's game taken place on a Thursday but as soon as he hears that anthem it all goes wrong.

He's an absolute imposter, does nothing other than spout platitudes he thinks the fans want to hear and that talk up their size and scale like it's still the 90s. He loves to sniff his own farts and I fucking hate him - never before has someone so fucking talentless been given such an easy ride and been so pleased with themselves about it. Little fucking gnome.

• Upvote 20