You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

1 minute ago, belarus said:

So you say I’ve not seen him enough to make a judgement, but you have? 

Im moving on. Enjoy

The point is, I've seen enough of our 2 to make a judgement on them.

See ya.

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

The point is, I've seen enough of our 2 to make a judgement on them.

See ya.

Honestly mate, your flip flopping is remarkable. You’ve literally just said I’m not in a position to comment or pass opinion as you doubt I’ve seen enough of varane, but then say you don’t need to see him because you have seen our lads loads.

Discussing this with you is like when Derren Brown made all those chess players play against themselves.

16 minutes ago, m0e said:

You talk about most neutrals, like you have some sort of authority on the subject (if its even a subject).

You readily dismiss the notion that 2 quality centre backs who have helped us become the best team in the world, are not a better option than someone untested in this team and in this league, as if we're playing top trumps.

You didn't even offer the caveat of injuries to back up your position.

Nonsense is clearly familiar territory for you.

As you were.

For fucks sake, it was a hypothetical debate based on a suggested combined eleven. I don't even remember who suggested it. But nobody's talking about wanting to replace Gomez with Varane. Or any of our players with Man United players.

36 minutes ago, belarus said:

Honestly mate, your flip flopping is remarkable. You’ve literally just said I’m not in a position to comment or pass opinion as you doubt I’ve seen enough of varane, but then say you don’t need to see him because you have seen our lads loads.

Discussing this with you is like when Derren Brown made all those chess players play against themselves.

I loved that episode 

36 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

For fucks sake, it was a hypothetical debate based on a suggested combined eleven. I don't even remember who suggested it. But nobody's talking about wanting to replace Gomez with Varane. Or any of our players with Man United players.

What are you, his lawyer?

(Only joking)

6 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

A fully fit Gomez is the best English Centreback there is. He's miles better than Maguire in every single aspect of the game other than heading it. His injuries mean its not really relevant because he can't stay fit long enough in a part of the team that needs consistency. Similar for Matip when fit Varane is going to have to be one hell of a player to be better than Matip when matip is fit but matip is never fit for long. United having 2 good centrebacks who stay fit and build a relationship is only good news for them. I haven't seen enough of Konate.  If you took their back four though and comparedvit to ours, we are way superior. Shaw v Robbo, Robbo pisses all over him same for Trent and Bissaka, outside of LFC Trent is so underrated its ridiculous, he's genuinely world class the "he can't defend" is horseshit when he was 19 yeah he had mistakes in him like teenage footballers do but he's a whole different level to every right back in this country and Southgate umming and ahhing over his selection made me realise even more that Southgate isn't a good manager though he seems to be a very lucky one.

I don't know if I agree with that, that Gomez is England's best centre back. He's fast and a good tackler. But his heading issue is because he doesn't read the flight of the ball well enough. He sometimes recovers that when the ball is dropped in behind him because he's quick and a good tackler. But lose a bit of pace and that failing is amplified. I think his passing is pretty ordinary. I think England have a few centre backs who all have some good attributes and bad, but not one who's an all rounder like vvd. They're all of a level and maybe you pick your favourite based on what you want to see in a centre back. 

As for varane, he's always looked a pretty good player when I've seen him, but I haven't seen (or studied) him anywhere near enough to know if he's better than Gomez or even lindelof. You have to believe with the level he's played at both domestically and internationally that he'd probably greatly improve them 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't know if I agree with that, that Gomez is England's best centre back. He's fast and a good tackler. But his heading issue is because he doesn't read the flight of the ball well enough. He sometimes recovers that when the ball is dropped in behind him because he's quick and a good tackler. But lose a bit of pace and that failing is amplified. I think his passing is pretty ordinary. I think England have a few centre backs who all have some good attributes and bad, but not one who's an all rounder like vvd. They're all of a level and maybe you pick your favourite based on what you want to see in a centre back. 

As for varane, he's always looked a pretty good player when I've seen him, but I haven't seen (or studied) him anywhere near enough to know if he's better than Gomez or even lindelof. You have to believe with the level he's played at both domestically and internationally that he'd probably greatly improve them 

Mate there’s never been a centre back who’s been an all rounder like VVD. He’s got everything more than anyone.

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Mate there’s never been a centre back who’s been an all rounder like VVD. He’s got everything more than anyone.

I don't disagree. He's certainly the stand out player of his generation. But it doesn't make Gomez better than a bunch of English centre backs. I think England have some good but not great centre backs of which one is Gomez. For example I wouldn't see it as outrageous if he couldn't get into the England team when he's fit. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't disagree. He's certainly the stand out player of his generation. But it doesn't make Gomez better than a bunch of English centre backs. I think England have some good but not great centre backs of which one is Gomez. For example I wouldn't see it as outrageous if he couldn't get into the England team when he's fit. 

Yeah I agree with that.
Two years ago when he was constant alongside Virg maybe, and you would have hoped he could have got better as he was still young.
Now he’s got a bit to do to even get back to that level.

5 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah I agree with that.
Two years ago when he was constant alongside Virg maybe, and you would have hoped he could have got better as he was still young.
Now he’s got a bit to do to even get back to that level.

I've always been a little disappointed over time he hasn't improved on following the flight of the ball. I thought maybe getting a constant run at centre back might improve that, but it never did. He's that poor at it, even with his size we rarely use him on attacking corners because he just can't get himself to the ball, he's better just sitting back and killing counters with his tackling and speed. But it doesn't make him a terrible player, it's just a weakness like lots of players have.

I think this season is a real crossroads for him. He's had a tussle with matip for who is the number 2 for a few seasons and generally (although not always) if they're both fit (which isn't much) matip has come out on top of that. But with konate chucked in and effectively all 4 centre back coming back from bad injury periods, he could be anything from 4th choice to the main man depending how luck rolls with injury for all 4 of them and their respective forms as they find their way back. I don't think he can afford to be behind matip any more no matter what and he's not a kid anymore, so he should be aiming to get infront of konate. I think this is a season he needs to really step up a gear, as much in leadership ability as technical ability. 

This is exactly what Souness has been going in about this past 12 months.

And it just goes to show how 'clever' Man City have been, as Dave U has pointed out a million times, with their policy of buying loads of 60 mil players.

Even with VVD, he had a 15 to 20 mil tax added to him because of the Blackpool stuff.

3VviokQRRmKNEhuBOM9Y_image (3).jpg

2NV93ymReyv8z3tP9Sbz_image (1).jpg

1 hour ago, m0e said:

This is exactly what Souness has been going in about this past 12 months.

And it just goes to show how 'clever' Man City have been, as Dave U has pointed out a million times, with their policy of buying loads of 60 mil players.

Even with VVD, he had a 15 to 20 mil tax added to him because of the Blackpool stuff.

3VviokQRRmKNEhuBOM9Y_image (3).jpg

2NV93ymReyv8z3tP9Sbz_image (1).jpg

Apologies if Im missing the point! Are we saying the top PL clubs get stiffed for a 'PL premium tax' when bidding for players but city dont?

All city are doing is paying an extra £15m - £25m, whatever, to make sure they get the player they want whereas most other English clubs would go 'fuck off, we've made a top bid' and look elsewhere.

Mahrez wasnt a £60m player when they bought him. I dont think Laporte was a £57m player either. Rodri £63m? Dias £65m? There's a clear extra paid by them there to secure those players.

38 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Apologies if Im missing the point! Are we saying the top PL clubs get stiffed for a 'PL premium tax' when bidding for players but city dont?

All city are doing is paying an extra £15m - £25m, whatever, to make sure they get the player they want whereas most other English clubs would go 'fuck off, we've made a top bid' and look elsewhere.

Mahrez wasnt a £60m player when they bought him. I dont think Laporte was a £57m player either. Rodri £63m? Dias £65m? There's a clear extra paid by them there to secure those players.

And that's what they're saying they paid. What they say and what they actually do are two different things.

45 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

No arguements from me.

My points are that a) United have spent a fuck load while flaunting it, and their fans are proper thick cunts

And b) City have been playing under the radar a little by staying away from the record breaking deals

Nothing else really.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

And that's what they're saying they paid. What they say and what they actually do are two different things.

Yes, it does make you think whether a bit of sponsorship or off book cash was involved.

40 minutes ago, m0e said:

No arguements from me.

My points are that a) United have spent a fuck load while flaunting it, and their fans are proper thick cunts

And b) City have been playing under the radar a little by staying away from the record breaking deals

Nothing else really.

I still cant believe they paid over 90 million for Pogba. What's he won them again?!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hearing so much about how dangerous Utd are this season and how we might scrape 4th. 

The reasons given are the age of our side and that we have shit squad depth.

The average age of the Liverpool first XI is 27.7 and of the squad is 26.7.

The average age of the Mancs first XI is 26.9 and of the squad is 26.4.

As an aside, the average ages of City (27.3/26.9) and Chelsea's (26.7/26.7) teams/squads are similar. 

I can see the strength in the City and Chelsea squad but don't get the positivity around Utd's. 

Is this:

Henderson
Dalot Lindelof Bailly Telles
Fred Matic VDBeek 
James Greenwood Martial

much better than:

Kelleher

Milner Kounate Gomez Tsimikas

Keita Jones Oxlaide-Chamberlain 

Elliot Jota Minamino 

It could be reasonably argued that we are stronger in at least half of those positions and none of ours are weak links really. If Utd have to play any of that back 5 or Matic for an extended period they would struggle IMO. 

The only weak areas for City (besides a striker for the moment) would be if 2 of their CBs (Stones Dias and Laporte) are unavailable at one time, like last weekend.

Similar for Chelsea, if 2 of their 3 CMs (Kante Jorginho and Kovacic) are unavailable at a time. Otherwise they seem well stocked. Although you'd wonder how many more games they will get out of Silva at 37 years of age and if they let Zouma go will they be short cover to play 3 CBs?

• Upvote 1

On 31/07/2021 at 18:09, dockers_strike said:

Yes, it does make you think whether a bit of sponsorship or off book cash was involved.

I still cant believe they paid over 90 million for Pogba. What's he won them again?!

I saw an article claiming pogbas genius against Leeds and what a shame he may leave. Plays well against a team that played like they had no midfield and he's a star, soon as he has to work for it he's mediocre. He's been shite, worse considering the potential of the lad.

8 hours ago, Razoray said:

I'm hearing so much about how dangerous Utd are this season and how we might scrape 4th. 

The reasons given are the age of our side and that we have shit squad depth.

The average age of the Liverpool first XI is 27.7 and of the squad is 26.7.

The average age of the Mancs first XI is 26.9 and of the squad is 26.4.

As an aside, the average ages of City (27.3/26.9) and Chelsea's (26.7/26.7) teams/squads are similar. 

I can see the strength in the City and Chelsea squad but don't get the positivity around Utd's. 

Is this:

Henderson
Dalot Lindelof Bailly Telles
Fred Matic VDBeek 
James Greenwood Martial

much better than:

Kelleher

Milner Kounate Gomez Tsimikas

Keita Jones Oxlaide-Chamberlain 

Elliot Jota Minamino 

It could be reasonably argued that we are stronger in at least half of those positions and none of ours are weak links really. If Utd have to play any of that back 5 or Matic for an extended period they would struggle IMO. 

The only weak areas for City (besides a striker for the moment) would be if 2 of their CBs (Stones Dias and Laporte) are unavailable at one time, like last weekend.

Similar for Chelsea, if 2 of their 3 CMs (Kante Jorginho and Kovacic) are unavailable at a time. Otherwise they seem well stocked. Although you'd wonder how many more games they will get out of Silva at 37 years of age and if they let Zouma go will they be short cover to play 3 CBs?

There are only a handful of mancs that even make our squad, and probably none that make our first team.

• Like 1