You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

33 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Nothing special with these. Probably the weakest out of the top 4 and could be the ones to be got at by the rest of the pack if they have a go. 

Keepers a major risk. Maguire and wan bassaka are limited and Shaw looks great when he’s up for it but when he’s off it he’s bad. 

Pogbas shite and as we seen with that Bruno on the run in, if he doesn’t get the decisions his head goes. 

The only fear is they’ve got goals in them and with the fans back in the ground penalties will come back into the team when they need them most. 

Penalties never actually left their team tbf. 

18 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I didn't advocate buying Varane or any other French player. Especially on £400,000 a week.

I just said he's better than Gomez. Which every non-biased observer of football in the world would recognise.

Better what?

A better centre back? A better fit for our team? A better partner for Van Dijk? A better value for the salary being paid? A better potential for the medium to long term?

"Better" means fuck all without context. I've given you context in what he's achieved at Liverpool. You brought up France's World Cup in exchange.

Neutrals wouldn't have a clue what's best for Liverpool. 

In the same way they wouldn't have a clue about Varane and what he actually brings to the table.

Only Liverpool fans and Real fans would have that, the former for the former, and the latter for the latter.

I'll stick with what I know, and what I know that works.

17 minutes ago, m0e said:

Better what?

A better centre back? A better fit for our team? A better partner for Van Dijk? A better value for the salary being paid? A better potential for the medium to long term?

"Better" means fuck all without context. I've given you context in what he's achieved at Liverpool. You brought up France's World Cup in exchange.

In the same way they wouldn't have a clue about Varane and what he actually brings to the table.

Only Liverpool fans and Real fans would have that, the former for the former, and the latter for the latter.

I honestly don't care enough to pursue this argument. If you believe Gomez is a better defender than Varane, then good for you.

Varane hasn’t quite lived up to his initial promise but he’s still a better defender than the alternatives, so he’ll improve them for sure. Most would take him over Gomez. I probably wouldn’t swap them right this minute but for a ‘fantasy’ team, Varane would get the nod alongside Virge.

A fully fit Gomez is the best English Centreback there is. He's miles better than Maguire in every single aspect of the game other than heading it. His injuries mean its not really relevant because he can't stay fit long enough in a part of the team that needs consistency. Similar for Matip when fit Varane is going to have to be one hell of a player to be better than Matip when matip is fit but matip is never fit for long. United having 2 good centrebacks who stay fit and build a relationship is only good news for them. I haven't seen enough of Konate.  If you took their back four though and comparedvit to ours, we are way superior. Shaw v Robbo, Robbo pisses all over him same for Trent and Bissaka, outside of LFC Trent is so underrated its ridiculous, he's genuinely world class the "he can't defend" is horseshit when he was 19 yeah he had mistakes in him like teenage footballers do but he's a whole different level to every right back in this country and Southgate umming and ahhing over his selection made me realise even more that Southgate isn't a good manager though he seems to be a very lucky one.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

Rashford out until October with surgery required for some long-standing shoulder problem.  The fact he prioritized the euros and his holidays higher than surgery is bound to go down well.

The euros possibly, definitely not the holiday bit. 

Rashford said he needed the surgery and Ole/the club said he didn’t. 

That was the delay in having the surgery. 

20 hours ago, m0e said:

Based on what exactly?

We won the league with a near perfect record with Gomez at CB. What would Varane have done for us? Prevented the 3 nil v Watford?!

14 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Based on being the major component in France's World Cup winning defence, for starters... 

10 hours ago, m0e said:

Good point.

Let's get the whole France team in, while we're at it. Maybe they'll win us everything like our current team did.

You’re arguing against his point, which is based on your initial argument. You’re tying yourself up in knots just to blindly deny a United player is arguably better than a Liverpool player.

If hazard a guess that most neutrals would take Varane over Gomez AND Matip if offered the choice

8 hours ago, m0e said:

Better what?

Jesus

8 hours ago, Daisy said:

I've honestly never watched him properly. If he's so good why have Madrid sold him for so cheap? 

Madrid are fucked aren’t they? It’s an opportunistic signing based on getting wages off the books I think

51 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The euros possibly, definitely not the holiday bit. 

Rashford said he needed the surgery and Ole/the club said he didn’t. 

That was the delay in having the surgery. 

This wasn't really picked up on much in the media but can you imagine Klopp saying we will see what's best for the player and the club and then decide? This cunt played Rashford with a broken back not so long ago, he needs calling out on that shit.

57 minutes ago, belarus said:

You’re arguing against his point, which is based on your initial argument. You’re tying yourself up in knots just to blindly deny a United player is arguably better than a Liverpool player.

If hazard a guess that most neutrals would take Varane over Gomez AND Matip if offered the choice

Great analysis there, mate.

Well done.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

A fully fit Gomez is the best English Centreback there is. He's miles better than Maguire in every single aspect of the game other than heading it. His injuries mean its not really relevant because he can't stay fit long enough in a part of the team that needs consistency. Similar for Matip when fit Varane is going to have to be one hell of a player to be better than Matip when matip is fit but matip is never fit for long. United having 2 good centrebacks who stay fit and build a relationship is only good news for them. I haven't seen enough of Konate.  If you took their back four though and comparedvit to ours, we are way superior. Shaw v Robbo, Robbo pisses all over him same for Trent and Bissaka, outside of LFC Trent is so underrated its ridiculous, he's genuinely world class the "he can't defend" is horseshit when he was 19 yeah he had mistakes in him like teenage footballers do but he's a whole different level to every right back in this country and Southgate umming and ahhing over his selection made me realise even more that Southgate isn't a good manager though he seems to be a very lucky one.

What the neutrals think is the most important thing here.

Get with the programme!

8 minutes ago, belarus said:

You can’t analyse nonsense, mate. I wouldn’t try

You talk about most neutrals, like you have some sort of authority on the subject (if its even a subject).

You readily dismiss the notion that 2 quality centre backs who have helped us become the best team in the world, are not a better option than someone untested in this team and in this league, as if we're playing top trumps.

You didn't even offer the caveat of injuries to back up your position.

Nonsense is clearly familiar territory for you.

As you were.

Just now, m0e said:

You talk about most neutrals, like you have some sort of authority on the subject.

You readily dismiss the notion that 2 quality centre backs who have helped us become the best team in the world, are not a better option than someone untested in this team and in this league, as if we're playing top trumps.

You didn't even offer the caveat of injuries to back up your position.

Nonsense is clearly familiar territory for you.

As you were.

You keep dipping into the team performance to justify the ability of individual players, but disregarded the almost exact point when Stacksy said about medals won.

Injuries would defo play a part in a decision, but I’m judging it on ability, length of time at the top level and recognition.

“As you were” - behave will you

2 minutes ago, belarus said:

You keep dipping into the team performance to justify the ability of individual players, but disregarded the almost exact point when Stacksy said about medals won.

Injuries would defo play a part in a decision, but I’m judging it on ability, length of time at the top level and recognition.

“As you were” - behave will you

I talked about the quality of the centre backs. I talked about the part they played in making us the best team in the world. I talked about their suitability for the team we've built, and the league we play in. I talked about how proven they were at this level.

You've talked about your own judgement of his ability (like fuck you've watched him enough to make that call) and some unquantifiable recognition from a bunch of "neutrals" you've never engaged with.

Oh yeah, you made a factual remark about trophies and time. Gomez is 4 years younger than Varane. So, he's had less time at the top level. Go figure.

Look back at your posts and the way you came in on my points and then perhaps you'll understand my contemp for your approach.

"Behave will you"!? Fucking hypocrite.

Just now, m0e said:

I talked about the quality of the centre backs. I talked about the part they played in making us the best team in the world. I talked about their suitability for the team we've built, and the league we play in. I talked about how proven they were at this level.

You've talked about your own judgement of his ability (like fuck you've watched him enough to make that call) and some unquantifiable recognition from a bunch of "neutrals" you've never engaged with.

Oh yeah, you made a factual remark about trophies and time. Gomez is 4 years younger than Varane. So, he's had less time at the top level. Go figure.

Look back at your posts and the way you came in on my points and then perhaps you'll understand my contemp for your approach.

"Behave will you"!? Fucking hypocrite.

So you say I’ve not seen him enough to make a judgement, but you have? 

Im moving on. Enjoy