You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

their fans love him, and while I don’t think they are improving massively they are still improving which is annoying, they have their hope back and are getting giddy especially with our own troubles at the moment. they have the bones of a very good team, tons of money and a lot of promising youth coming through which he seems to give chances to.

I’d preferred the days where they were on the manager merry go round and having to rip it all up again. He might not win the league or CL but he is stabilising them.

8 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

their fans love him, and while I don’t think they are improving massively they are still improving which is annoying, they have their hope back and are getting giddy especially with our own troubles at the moment. they have the bones of a very good team, tons of money and a lot of promising youth coming through which he seems to give chances to.

I’d preferred the days where they were on the manager merry go round and having to rip it all up again. He might not win the league or CL but he is stabilising them.

OGS has done pretty much the same as all their post Ferguson managers - they look good at times because they have lots of good players, but they rarely do well once under pressure. So for me it's sound they're extending his contract, because it's a cycle we're only too familiar with.

Excluding that little period towards the end of hodgson, we've mostly followed the same path since Kenny left. Souness brought us an fa cup, but a bunch of on and off field issues (many brought on by himself) cause that to fail. Evans did ok, got us a league cup (when it counted a bit more), got is playing nice football, but we always cracked when we were under pressure in the league. Houllier gave us that great 2001 and perhaps we could have gone on had he not got ill. Rafa 2005, but again we wanted the league and every time we looked like we could do it, we (or i might argue he) shat the bed. Then the H&G period, Kenny won us our 1st trophy in years but was sacked because of his league position. Rodgers didn't win anything, but shat the bed after we came close in 2014. How relentless we were in 2019 showed the character of this team and manager even if it didn't win the league that year. 

OGS is liked by the fans and they have loads of good players who turn it on individually now and again. But I don't think they will be any threat under him at all. Everytime they looked close in the league they've shit it. And just look at them in this year's CL. They're happy. We're happy. It seems a result all round. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

OGS has done pretty much the same as all their post Ferguson managers - they look good at times because they have lots of good players, but they rarely do well once under pressure. So for me it's sound they're extending his contract, because it's a cycle we're only too familiar with.

Excluding that little period towards the end of hodgson, we've mostly followed the same path since Kenny left. Souness brought us an fa cup, but a bunch of on and off field issues (many brought on by himself) cause that to fail. Evans did ok, got us a league cup (when it counted a bit more), got is playing nice football, but we always cracked when we were under pressure in the league. Houllier gave us that great 2001 and perhaps we could have gone on had he not got ill. Rafa 2005, but again we wanted the league and every time we looked like we could do it, we (or i might argue he) shat the bed. Then the H&G period, Kenny won us our 1st trophy in years but was sacked because of his league position. Rodgers didn't win anything, but shat the bed after we came close in 2014. How relentless we were in 2019 showed the character of this team and manager even if it didn't win the league that year. 

OGS is liked by the fans and they have loads of good players who turn it on individually now and again. But I don't think they will be any threat under him at all. Everytime they looked close in the league they've shit it. And just look at them in this year's CL. They're happy. We're happy. It seems a result all round. 

All of which I agree with, I just preferred it when their fans were in deep dispair at their team and at each other’s throats it was highly amusing to watch the fallout after all the high horse shit they dolled out while on top to other teams.

I read an article on The Athletic which suggested with a straight face that OGS's lack of any discernible tactical plan was in itself a deliberate move to take advantage of the chaos of this season. That was arguably the closest I've come to an enjoyable moment this season.

• Upvote 5

It’s a team totally reliant on individual skill. There’s no discernible plan or strategy. If they keep spending 100s of millions and fill the team with top talent then they’ve a chance in those seasons where everyone else is a bit shit like when Leicester won it.  

Long may Ole reign over them!

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

All of which I agree with, I just preferred it when their fans were in deep dispair at their team and at each other’s throats it was highly amusing to watch the fallout after all the high horse shit they dolled out while on top to other teams.

You see there's good and bad in the despair. When they were tearing their hair out with previous managers, it was in the context of city getting above them and then longing for the Ferguson days. But they've fallen so far, they're now acceptance of this mediocrity, despite us and city getting above them, mainly because they like OGS and want him to succeed. That's how much they've lowered their standards. I think there's a lot to enjoy in that. 

3 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

I read an article on The Athletic which suggested with a straight face that OGS's lack of any discernible tactical plan was in itself a deliberate move to take advantage of the chaos of this season. That was arguably the closest I've come to an enjoyable moment this season.

I preferred the one on Mourinhos invincibles, who drew nil nil at home something like 15 times

41 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You see there's good and bad in the despair. When they were tearing their hair out with previous managers, it was in the context of city getting above them and then longing for the Ferguson days. But they've fallen so far, they're now acceptance of this mediocrity, despite us and city getting above them, mainly because they like OGS and want him to succeed. That's how much they've lowered their standards. I think there's a lot to enjoy in that. 

They’d be forgiven for thinking they’ve risen above us again, but that’s our own fault and all being well it will bite them on the arse big time next season. It says a lot about how poor everyone else is that they’re within closest shouting distance of City. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

They’d be forgiven for thinking they’ve risen above us again, but that’s our own fault and all being well it will bite them on the arse big time next season. It says a lot about how poor everyone else is that they’re within closest shouting distance of City. 

Deffo. They think they've caught us (in fact gone past us), but the reverse is true, we've caught them going backwards. We've been like an F1 car with 3 wheels this season. 

6 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

He's asking if you would rather have one of the world's best ever midfielders or Andreas Iniesta.

I mean though does he mean prime iniesta or the fella who's playing in some random chump league? If you're talking today, there's no comparison. The same can be said of their respective primes. Which is why I don't really get what he's saying. He can't possibly be saying would you have Fernandes over a prime iniesta? 

41 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I mean though does he mean prime iniesta or the fella who's playing in some random chump league? If you're talking today, there's no comparison. The same can be said of their respective primes. Which is why I don't really get what he's saying. He can't possibly be saying would you have Fernandes over a prime iniesta? 

He is but it looks like hes taking the piss 

https://twitter.com/keydowsky/status/1370746804405407744?s=20

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, JagSquared said:

Yeah but right now we can just drop the "So the Glazers are sound again, yeah?" into conversation, which can also be fairly entertaining.