You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

4 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

They remind me of us in the 90s or 2000s. Some very good players (one world class one in Fernandes) but with a poor manager, a mediocre defence and question marks over professionalism within the squad. I will say that they seem to have some kind of hunger and they seem to be playing for Ole right now. Their games at Everton, West Ham and Southampton showed spirit in fairness. With Var decisions nearly always going their way, it is another big concern.

For me, this United side are less Liverpool of 25 years ago, and more Ron Atkinson’s United. 
We had a decent team under Roy Evans, but tended to lose our nerve when the crunch came. I wouldn’t go so far as to say the title was ever ours to lose, but that team in 96 was fighting for the double until late April, and we had a few other title challenges that petered out in the later stages. By comparison Ole’s United side have never looked like title challengers, and I’d go so far as to say they never will. Which is why they won’t have to worry about losing their nerve, because they will be out of the reckoning before the moment of truth arrives. 
But Atkinson’s Man United? Impressive going forward, but wonky at the back? Check. Incredibly streaky side, who can be the country’s form team, but equally can just deflate entirely? Check. Several excellent players who for one reason or another they can’t fully rely on? Oh yes. A manager who frequently does enough to seem like he deserves another season without fully delivering? Entirely so. 
Get Ole some cheap jewellery and impenetrable slang, because if Ronald deserved five years at Old Trafford then Ole does too. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Ron B said:

For me, this United side are less Liverpool of 25 years ago, and more Ron Atkinson’s United. 
We had a decent team under Roy Evans, but tended to lose our nerve when the crunch came. I wouldn’t go so far as to say the title was ever ours to lose, but that team in 96 was fighting for the double until late April, and we had a few other title challenges that petered out in the later stages. By comparison Ole’s United side have never looked like title challengers, and I’d go so far as to say they never will. Which is why they won’t have to worry about losing their nerve, because they will be out of the reckoning before the moment of truth arrives. 
But Atkinson’s Man United? Impressive going forward, but wonky at the back? Check. Incredibly streaky side, who can be the country’s form team, but equally can just deflate entirely? Check. Several excellent players who for one reason or another they can’t fully rely on? Oh yes. A manager who frequently does enough to seem like he deserves another season without fully delivering? Entirely so. 
Get Ole some cheap jewellery and impenetrable slang, because if Ronald deserved five years at Old Trafford then Ole does too. 

Fair point Ron. 

United back then had some lovely players to be fair. McGrath was a great player, as was Robson. I liked Whiteside, Hughes, Strachan and Moran as well. Stapleton wasn't what he was at Arsenal but still a good player. Not too sure how many of their players then would have got in our team of the mid 80s. McGrath and Robson were good enough but no guarantee they would get in.

Looking at this United team, I think they have some fine players. Fernandes would be in with a shout of getting in, but our midfield spine with Thiago probably keeping him out and he is their only world class player. Cavani was a wonderful player and maybe 2-3 years ago would have been in with a chance of breaking into our front 3. He's still a very good player. Rashford and Greenwood are very good players, but they don't get into our team right now. Maybe in 18 months. I really liked Van De Beek at Ajax but he doesn't get anywhere near our team right now. Martial and Pogba are peas in a pod. Very good when they fancy it.

Having said that, I don't think that they finish 15 points behind us. I think we will finish on 85-90 points and I think they will get about 80. If they were to lose to Leicester then I would be shocked if they got over 80 though.

4 hours ago, magicrat said:

Win their game in hand and they are two points behind. Call them all the shite under the sun but the reality is they are very much in the race at the moment. Am I concerned ?  To be honest a little yes. 

To be honest, I find it a little sad people are concerned at united. While they have that gimp in charge, they are like lampard's chelsea. Some good players but a tactically inept manager.

They have been fortunate with decisions while we have been unfortunate. That will change.

Im more concerned about city who have a quality manager and quality players who know how to win titles rather than a bunch with a manager who seem to depend on good fortune and a fair wind.

Im more concerned about spurs and mourinho because they have a manager who, while being an arsehole, has won titles.

6 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah hate to say it, but he is a great player. Would love him to go to Barca or Real in the summer.

They remind me of us in the 90s or 2000s. Some very good players (one world class one in Fernandes) but with a poor manager, a mediocre defence and question marks over professionalism within the squad. I will say that they seem to have some kind of hunger and they seem to be playing for Ole right now. Their games at Everton, West Ham and Southampton showed spirit in fairness. With Var decisions nearly always going their way, it is another big concern.

I think we are so superior and it looks like we are coming through the worst of the injury crisis with players now coming back in the coming weeks bar Joey Gomez and Virgil. The young lads have done really well and our squad looks much better than it has for a while. Those young lads like Rhys Williams, Kev or Neco might be able to play the easier games at Anfield (no easy game) if it meant a rest for some of the starting eleven. Curtis Jones is going to be world class, of that I am very convinced. I still would like a centre half in January and having watched Lille PSG last night, that Botman looks top class. That's a nice position to be in though compared to hearing about Joe getting injured in England training.

We have had some very tough away games done and dusted. Everton, Chelsea, City as well as Villa who are probably going to finish in the top half and Palace, who despite the weekend are an awkward team especially at their place. Southampton and Newcastle will be nice ones to get out of the way in the coming weeks.

Looking at the fixture list, pretty much all of our hardest games will be done and dusted by the start of March. Home game with the Mancs, City and Everton, away games with Leicester, Spurs, Wolves and West Ham. They seem to have a tough run of fixtures around that point.

I've said it before the Premier League and the media would love a title showdown between the two of us and that worries me. 

I think Leicester could be a pivotal game for them. They win that and they will be sucking diesel. They lose and it just about sums them up since Ferguson left.

World class me bollix.

He wouldn't get near our midfield.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Well, you could have both. They don't play the same position or do the same type of job. 

I think they have a few lads who are all pretty interchangeable - Fernandes is on the right of the three in midfield for the most part isn't he? Jota played in front of him these last few matches.

Bernardo Silva can play upfront or in midfield, same with Joao Felix. Jota can play either of those roles.

8 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I've said it before the Premier League and the media would love a title showdown between the two of us and that worries me. 

I think Leicester could be a pivotal game for them. They win that and they will be sucking diesel. They lose and it just about sums them up since Ferguson left.

I find it utterly bizarre that anyone could think United might be in a title showdown, with us or anyone else.

They did this last season, too, when they had a brief purple patch and went deeper in the CL than anyone expected. It ended, and this will too.

It's probably 50-50 for them to finish in the top 4. There is basically zero chance that they end up in the conversation for the league title.

• Upvote 1

Blows my mind how much free space teams give Fernandes I think I've only seen one game where he was tackled a few times roughly,  to be fair he handled it well. He's a good player weird how united got a free run on a player like him so cheaply. If a better club comes in for him he will be tempted as who the fuck wants to play for Ole.

I don’t think Klopp or the players have the same hang-ups some of us have on here about Manchester United. 

They’re in a good run at the moment, like they were at the end of last season when the pressure was off, the same as we used to do when titles had been long since lost.

But let’s see how they do now that a few clowns are suggesting they can launch a title challenge, as that brings a pressure in itself. 

If they get too big for their boots two words, the europa cup is a great leveller - Thursday Nights (in the arse end of europe). They will start dropping points like a cheap suit once europa starts again. Also the VAR bias has to even out we are currently -5 var they are around +5 var and +5 Pens. Thats about a 10 point swing.

Fernandez is capable of great moments in a game but it’s largely negated by how often he gives the ball away in a game.  His goal return is brilliant though there’s no getting away from it.  It doesn’t however mean he’s been in form.  In lots of those games he’s been absolutely dogshit.  I think while he’s there they will always struggle in a big games because you can’t give the ball away that much and get away with it against the best teams.