You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

To suggest this thread is "going a bit Everton" helps nobody. Of course Everton are bitter. They cower in our shadow. We are their clear and obvious enemy. And of course just like Everton now, back then we were bitter about United. I certainly was. I watched them knock us off our perch and outperform us in almost every way possible. But even during those dark days we never became irrelevant. We carried on getting trophies. The comparison is cheap and doesn't bear scrutiny. 

I hate to say it but undoubtedly Ferguson was a brilliant manager. I detest everything he is and he stands for - almost on Thatcher levels of hatred - but he certainly achieved what he set out to. Probably outperformed what he thought he would do. 

He particularly excelled at:

1.Getting the media onside - or at least not offside. "Write shit about me, my kid or my team and you're not getting in OT." or "Alistair. Have a word with these will you?" 

2. Fear. Fuck me over, and I'll fuck you over harder. Fuck my team over and you're fucking me over so I'll double fuck you over. 
3. Control of referees. I can only imagine what went on during Ferguson's time. It's not quite there now, but it's not a long way away. I've said it before, you don't NEED huge decisions, it's the minutiae. OK they're getting pennos at the mo, but that won't always be the case. What is does is demonstrate that decisions are generally weighted in their favour. And that's all it takes. 

I would be staggered if there's not a clear policy to benefit United. If not, then there's absolutely a policy to hinder us. It might not be every referee, but it's not far off it. Contrast decisions United get against what we get. In fact contrast what the majority of teams get against what we get. Look at the decisions that go against Mo or Sadio every single game. It's not conspiracy theory, it's clear as day.

We've already had four points stolen from us in two games this season. The Spurs game almost made it six from three. No wonder United are so close behind us. 

#iamdavek

• Upvote 5

I've not seen more angles but Sons goal not being dissected for offside yet when its us they make more lines than Tony Montana and give zero fucking advantage even if its a millimetre, the whole feet thing was bullshit reasoning, you can score with your feet it should be looked at even more. How they scrutinise some decisions but brush off others completely undermines the whole process and allows for manipulation intentional or not that is still a corrupted system.

We got called LiVARpool last season despite the fact the facts show us about mid table on decisions for or against us being correct and last time I looked we were minus 8 this season so far with the most decisions going against us, then you have sides in the plus category that's a huge influence on the shape of games and the league standings. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

So....... are these a threat?

I think they are terrible but somehow they keep winning.

The obvious answer is I’m sure most will chortle with disgust at even the notion they could catch us, but they are currently best of the rest.

For me, there as much a threat as we were during the mid 90's to late 00's.  There or thereabouts but always falling short. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The obvious answer is I’m sure most will chortle with disgust at even the notion they could catch us, but they are currently best of the rest.

Absolutely. It’s stupid to dismiss them while they’re one result away from having the title in their own hands. If we put our wobbly form behind us we’ll win the league, but we haven’t been able to construct that sort of run together since the start of the year, so it can’t be taken from granted that we will. I seriously doubt Alex Ferguson dismissed us when we were in contention a few times under Evans, Houllier and Benitez. Ultimately, however, their extra quality and unparalleled mentality won out, so if we aspire to being mentioned alongside the great teams we have to do the same.

With that said, I couldn’t help but chuckle at Micah Richards’ BBC article lauding the fact that they’ve been the third best team in the division since Solskjaer took over, having accused 132 points over that period. Just the 50 points behind us.

They could go on a run, but I can only assume they'll also have some bad patches as they haven't shown consistency under Ole. That said, our consistency has dropped off results wise so we need to improve that a bit and we'll be OK. If we can get Thiago back and keep what's left of the back line fit, we might be alright.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

They have martial and rashford up front and they both above average players . They are absolute garbage at the back however de gea will make his fair share of worldies. So I predict end off season tail off when ole plays same team week in week out in order to save his skin. Suits my Ole in agenda. 

3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

They could go on a run, but I can only assume they'll also have some bad patches as they haven't shown consistency under Ole. That said, our consistency has dropped off results wise so we need to improve that a bit and we'll be OK. If we can get Thiago back and keep what's left of the back line fit, we might be alright.

I think they've been really consistent under OGS. They have these long runs - this goes back to what actually got him the job permanently. They have loads of good results in those runs and beat some top teams. As soon as there's pressure and expectation on them, they just go to shit to the point where he's about a game from getting sacked before the next run starts all over again. 

25 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Fernandes has contributed to 20 goals in 20 games from attacking midfield. He's carrying them on his back. 

Since his debut in the league he's only been outscored by Salah apparently.

Edit: 8/17 were pens, that's fewer than I thought given that they seem to be awarded a pen a game.

11 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

Since his debut in the league he's only been outscored by Salah apparently.

Edit: 8/17 were pens, that's fewer than I thought given that they seem to be awarded a pen a game.

10 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

How many of those were pens though ? 

Almost half.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Thursday nights will cunt them in the bastard.

They would be happy to fuck Europa off if they sniff a genuine chance at the league come February. 

And also, I doubt they would be playing more than 3 or 4 first teamers in that competition anyway, unless they get as far as the semis.

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Fernandes has contributed to 20 goals in 20 games from attacking midfield. He's carrying them on his back. 

Yeah hate to say it, but he is a great player. Would love him to go to Barca or Real in the summer.

They remind me of us in the 90s or 2000s. Some very good players (one world class one in Fernandes) but with a poor manager, a mediocre defence and question marks over professionalism within the squad. I will say that they seem to have some kind of hunger and they seem to be playing for Ole right now. Their games at Everton, West Ham and Southampton showed spirit in fairness. With Var decisions nearly always going their way, it is another big concern.

I think we are so superior and it looks like we are coming through the worst of the injury crisis with players now coming back in the coming weeks bar Joey Gomez and Virgil. The young lads have done really well and our squad looks much better than it has for a while. Those young lads like Rhys Williams, Kev or Neco might be able to play the easier games at Anfield (no easy game) if it meant a rest for some of the starting eleven. Curtis Jones is going to be world class, of that I am very convinced. I still would like a centre half in January and having watched Lille PSG last night, that Botman looks top class. That's a nice position to be in though compared to hearing about Joe getting injured in England training.

We have had some very tough away games done and dusted. Everton, Chelsea, City as well as Villa who are probably going to finish in the top half and Palace, who despite the weekend are an awkward team especially at their place. Southampton and Newcastle will be nice ones to get out of the way in the coming weeks.

Looking at the fixture list, pretty much all of our hardest games will be done and dusted by the start of March. Home game with the Mancs, City and Everton, away games with Leicester, Spurs, Wolves and West Ham. They seem to have a tough run of fixtures around that point.

I've said it before the Premier League and the media would love a title showdown between the two of us and that worries me. 

I think Leicester could be a pivotal game for them. They win that and they will be sucking diesel. They lose and it just about sums them up since Ferguson left.