You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

3 hours ago, deiseach said:

Very good, but rep withheld for putting into my brain the notion that there is something out there called 'Manchester Utd v Liverpool Banter Page'.

I guess Banter Claus won’t be leaving a string of ‘crying laughing’ emojis in your Christmas stocking this year. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2020 at 16:24, Section_31 said:

I understand a lot of these pundits are his mates but I don't see how they can blame the board with a straight face, the guy's spent huge sums of money and virtually all of his buys have been shite or from the wrong position. They've got no system or style at all and their one tactic seems to be to get pens so Fernandez can score. Long may it continue. 

Genuinely, I can't much think who he's bought. All I can think of is Maguire, wan bisaaka, Fernandez and this Van Der beek who hardly gets a game. Obviously they've done weird fringe bits like cavani and igaholo , but I genuinely can't think much else. And he's pulled a bit back in selling players. Unless there's loads of signings I've forgotten who just never play (which is very possible as I don't pay them too much attention), then I would say he's probably had better success in the transfer market than all.of his post Ferguson predecessors. 

And for that reason alone, I think he should get a new contract. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Genuinely, I can't much think who he's bought. All I can think of is Maguire, wan bisaaka, Fernandez and this Van Der beek who hardly gets a game. Obviously they've done weird fringe bits like cavani and igaholo , but I genuinely can't think much else. And he's pulled a bit back in selling players. Unless there's loads of signings I've forgotten who just never play (which is very possible as I don't pay them too much attention), then I would say he's probably had better success in the transfer market than all.of his post Ferguson predecessors. 

And for that reason alone, I think he should get a new contract. 

Bit of a list here. I don't recognise most of the names. You'd only say Fernández is close to being half decent.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ole-gunnar-solskjaer/spielertransfers/trainer/7286

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Bit of a list here. I don't recognise most of the names. You'd only say Fernández is close to being half decent.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ole-gunnar-solskjaer/spielertransfers/trainer/7286

I think wan bissaka and Maguire have done fine. Not great, but they're ok. And the fees are more that fucking idiot ewar woowar . 

On 11/12/2020 at 07:26, Ron B said:

And there’s the rub. There has never been a day where any club, other than Man Utd, would choose Solksjaer over Klopp as their manager. 
When the goblin took his first management job Jurgen already had his first Bundesliga title. By the time he went to Cardiff to oversee their relegation, Klopp had two of them plus a Champions League final under his belt. And since then the gap has only widened. 
He was always a bad appointment. 

And they are only 5 years apart in age. Its not like Ole is a rookie and going to get better. Most managers are in their prime late 40s early 50s. 

Fernandes is overrated.  He can pull off sublime things in games but his overall gameplay is Sunday league level.  He gives the ball away in so many stupid situations.  Klopp always talks about protecting ourselves when in possession and we do it by not making risky or stupid decisions when on the ball.  Fernandez plays genuinely braindead passes a lot of times every game and some of them are not even potential chance creating passes either which seems to be the excuse they use for him.  They tend to play 2 defensive midfielders every game and the narrative is that it’s to protect the slow centre back but in reality I think it’s to protect them against Fernandez woeful possession retention.

Maguire and Wan Bissaka aren’t bad players but they are horrific signings.  United’s defensive record since they signed both of them has improved a lot but it’s cemented them as a negative team.  They pretty much have to play both of them when fit because of the price tags and they wouldn’t get half the money back for either of them if they cut their losses.  They can’t play a high line with Maguire and they can’t rely on any attacking output from Wan Bissaka so they’ve become a counter attacking team.  They are struggling with sides that either aren’t bothered about attacking them or that United are expected to dominate against and Solskjaer plays too many attacking players.

20 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think wan bissaka and Maguire have done fine. Not great, but they're ok. And the fees are more that fucking idiot ewar woowar . 

Wan Bissaka has looked like what he is - a young full back who is good at responding to danger, poor at anticipating danger, and offers a limited amount going forward. I don’t see that he’s improved since going there. 

But, cretin though he is, Ewar Woowar doesn’t work on isolation. When he goes to negotiate a fee and Palace demand a fee which would make him the sixth most expensive defender of all time, at some point somebody is going to say to the manager “Do you want to spend this much of your budget on this player?” Just as Solksjaer will have greenlit £15million on Daniel, or making Harry Maguire the world’s most expensive defender (was there really nobody better?). 

When these players arrive for too much money, and then fail to get better (Fernandes aside, which of the Goblin signings would they turn a profit on by selling them tomorrow?), it’s ultimately the manager’s fault. 

I don’t watch them much but If they are stuck playing AWB and Maguire due to the price tags, How tall / good in the air is AWB? Could he do a job at CB?

It Would give them more pace centrally and allow them to play a more attack minded wing back (do they have one?) if so maybe their squad would suit a 3-5-2?it would still allow them 3 cms and 2 up front.

Solakjaer and Guardiola were equally as delusional in their post match interviews last night. 

An absolute steaming turd of a game & performances, which given the quality of both sides attacking players and weaknesses in defence, was astounding. 

Neither side even barely tried to win the game.

12 hours ago, JagSquared said:

Maguire has been fine? For 80m he’s been shocking. Always has a mistake in him.

I think you've got to put the fee to one side. You have to look has he come in, played every week and improved the team and I think he has. As I said originally, he's not great, but he's alright. 

2 hours ago, Ron B said:

Wan Bissaka has looked like what he is - a young full back who is good at responding to danger, poor at anticipating danger, and offers a limited amount going forward. I don’t see that he’s improved since going there. 

But, cretin though he is, Ewar Woowar doesn’t work on isolation. When he goes to negotiate a fee and Palace demand a fee which would make him the sixth most expensive defender of all time, at some point somebody is going to say to the manager “Do you want to spend this much of your budget on this player?” Just as Solksjaer will have greenlit £15million on Daniel, or making Harry Maguire the world’s most expensive defender (was there really nobody better?). 

When these players arrive for too much money, and then fail to get better (Fernandes aside, which of the Goblin signings would they turn a profit on by selling them tomorrow?), it’s ultimately the manager’s fault. 

I think if players have improved and if they are good signings are two different things. So I think wan bissaka was a decent if over priced signing for them. He hasn't improved because OGS is shite. But he delivers what they signed. But I was responding to a point that his signings have been poor - I don't think he's signed loads (or I can't remember them, which is a point I also made earlier) and I don't think they've been stand out poor, or certainly in comparison with his predecessors post Ferguson. His main 3 signings I think have been Maguire, wan bissaka and Fernandez. They've done varying degrees of ok to good. Mourinho before him bought Bailly (30m?), Lukaku (90m?), Sanchez (8bn a week wages?), Lindleof (30m), pogba (100m) and matic (40m) and I'm sure loads more expensive signings. LVG signed players like Depay, Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria, rojo, blind. Are either of those better than what OGS has done? They certainly seemed to be allowed to buy more players than OGS too. 

I am not sure in the modern game how much input managers have in the process of fees. I don't know the methodology they use at man united, but I think it's fairly common now for the people who identify players to not be the ones who either set the budget or the fee. Obviously some clubs do that better than others - which I do agree individuals can influence. Edwards record was pretty shoddy until klopp arrived for example. But again, inside whatever process they use at old Trafford, I don't think OGS has faired worse in either identifying players or the fees that have been paid than his predecessors. When you consider 2 of them are mourinho and LVG who have pretty decent records elsewhere, it would seem reasonable to assume the problem there lies elsewhere. 

I think there are lots of sticks to beat OGS with, mostly because of how he handles the players at his disposal. As you touched on, the players rarely improve. They seem to have little or no tactical plan beyond "sit tight and hope the fast lads up front sort us out". Aside from Fernandez I can't think of a player they get to perform consistently at a high level, too many players have too many ordinary days. And I think most criminal of all is aside from very early in his time there, the players seem not too arsed and rarely seen to run themselves into the ground. 

Frankly in the one area where he's not stand out shite and merely mediocre, I think it's the duty of every Liverpool fan to not only acknowledge he hasn't failed, we should promote it and hope it's something that his manc fanboys can latch onto and help enable him to hold onto his job a little longer. My Christmas message is back OGS and back him strong. They should be in it for the long term together and Ewar should be smashing transfer records all over Europe to add more ok signings to the pile and invest in OGS. 

• Upvote 1

Wan Bissaka's tricked a lot of people, including Carragher, who called him world class at some point, I think. Absurd shout that was. He's the prototypical great athlete, not very good at football footballer. Poor man's Kyle Walker who can't strike a ball hard. The thing with him, and I make this mistake all the time, is you think, well he's got the "tools" so to speak, so if he gets better technically, and gains in experience, he'll be a top player. Except that's a lot of things a 50m player has to learn. Right now, he looks just as poor an investment as Maguire does. 

And yes, their defense isn't actually that bad and you can argue they've both improved it in general, but these are players that cost 130m and their individual performances are sometimes so bad, they're to the point of comedy. 

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

Fernandes is overrated.  He can pull off sublime things in games but his overall gameplay is Sunday league level.  He gives the ball away in so many stupid situations.  Klopp always talks about protecting ourselves when in possession and we do it by not making risky or stupid decisions when on the ball.  Fernandez plays genuinely braindead passes a lot of times every game and some of them are not even potential chance creating passes either which seems to be the excuse they use for him.  They tend to play 2 defensive midfielders every game and the narrative is that it’s to protect the slow centre back but in reality I think it’s to protect them against Fernandez woeful possession retention.

Fernandes is their only creative source. He has the freest of free roles in attack, which is why he takes all these chances on the ball. A better manager would mould him to a collective and use his qualities that way. It's not like he loses the ball because he's shit on the ball, it's that if he wouldn't try high risk/reward passes, United would create literally nothing in possession because there is no other style of play or structure to create chances in a buildup. 

I rarely watch their games. Obviously Fernandes pops up every week with an assist or penalty.

Yesterday was probably the first time I’ve ever fully watched him live. I thought he was awful.

I accept it probably wasn’t a good game to draw an opinion of him from.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Solakjaer and Guardiola were equally as delusional in their post match interviews last night. 

An absolute steaming turd of a game & performances, which given the quality of both sides attacking players and weaknesses in defence, was astounding. 

Neither side even barely tried to win the game.

I caught the last 4 minutes and it struck me how weird the whole feel was - no edge to it and then all being very friendly at the end, including solskjaer and guardiola. Wouldn’t have seen Keane, Neville, beckham and the rest having a nice long chat with opposition players after the game. Bizarre.