You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

2 hours ago, Ron B said:

Agree, although Shaw is one of their most experienced players. It’s just that most of that experience has consisted of being injured. This is his seventh season at the club. 

One of the most sensible comments I’ve seen in RedCafe about us is that, unlike them, we knowingly don’t sign crocks. Considering they signed Luke Shaw as their long-term solution at left-back, when it had taken him two-and-a-half years to make his England Under-21s debut because of various injuries, they may have a point...

100% it should have been whoever was captaining the team should have gone out to face the press. 

Shaw was funny, he mentioned about getting new players in would help - one is to replace him! 

5 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

They are definitely getting ready to yank the chain on Ole Baggins, their transfer business shows they’ve got no faith in him and they were reluctant to back him, we saw the same thing towards the end with Mourinho.

To be fair, they've spent close to £100mill without includng loads of youth players they've bought from various places.

10 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

They are definitely getting ready to yank the chain on Ole Baggins, their transfer business shows they’ve got no faith in him and they were reluctant to back him, we saw the same thing towards the end with Mourinho.

Would tend to agree with you. I think the next few games after the international break will be crucial to his tenure.

OH! MY! WORD! What a worthy successor he would be. Now that it's been said, it can't be just left to die on the vine. That said, there's still more fun to be had with Olé.

Make it happen!

A successful European Championship with Wales would make Ryan Giggs a contender to manage Manchester United, says former national team boss Mark Hughes.

Hughes thinks Giggs missed out in 2016, when Jose Mourinho took charge, because United wanted a big-name manager to rival Manchester City's Pep Guardiola.

But he says the Wales boss, 46, is now better placed for the Old Trafford job.

"Ryan is in a good place in his management career. He is on an upward trend," said Hughes.

"He is probably more likely to get an opportunity at Manchester United than he was when [Louis] van Gaal left [in 2016].

"Maybe they felt his management CV wasn't strong enough at that point, but if he goes to the European Championship and does well, then there's no reason why he won't be in the frame."

Giggs began building towards management after being named United player-coach at the back end of his glittering Red Devils playing career.

Having worked initially under David Moyes, Giggs served briefly as player-manager after the Scot's sacking and was then made assistant to Van Gaal when he took over in 2014.

There were suggestions Giggs would take over when Van Gaal was dismissed, but he opted to leave the club after United turned instead to former Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid boss Mourinho.

Giggs landed his first managerial role with Wales in 2018 and has steered his nation to Euro 2020, which will take place in 2021 because of coronavirus.

"He was a fantastic player throughout his career," added former United striker Hughes, who managed Giggs when he was Wales boss.

"And he's had good opportunities to learn the game on the other side of the fence.

"Obviously he was mentored by Sir Alex [Ferguson] for many years and in later years he was able to work alongside him. He then worked very closely with Van Gaal for a couple of years, which I felt was a good decision by him and the club.

"I thought that was with a view to him taking over the role when Van Gaal left. It wasn't to be, they made the decision to go for a bigger name in terms of management - Mourinho.

"I think that was pushed maybe a little bit because of the appointment at Manchester City of Guardiola. Maybe they felt they needed like for like, which probably affected Ryan's chances."

'He was always there for the big games'

Giggs, who won 64 caps over 16 years, has been criticised at times for showing a lack of commitment to Wales during his playing days.

But Hughes says Giggs' value to United had an impact on his international career.

"There was a little bit of comment, shall I say, when he got the [Wales] job because people questioned his commitment to the Welsh cause," Hughes said.

"But listen, he was in difficult circumstances and there was always a balance with his club at the time.

"Sir Alex was very strong and was very reluctant for any players - English, Irish, Welsh, wherever they came from - to leave on international duty unless they were key games.

"He wasn't too happy with friendlies to say the least. But we got him for friendlies on occasions and he was always there for the big games, so his commitment was always there."

Ryan Giggs celebrates after victory over Hungary in November 2019 booked Wales' place at the third major finals in their history
Ryan Giggs celebrates after victory over Hungary in November 2019 booked Wales' place at the third major finals in their history

Hughes feels Giggs' efforts in the Welsh dugout have proved his desire to succeed with his country.

"When we qualified for the European Championship against Hungary, I was there and I thought Wales on the night were excellent," he added.

"You started to see what Ryan was trying to do with the team, following Cookie [Chris Coleman], and I think he has grown into the role.

"You saw the delight on his face when Wales qualified that night. I think that endeared him to a lot of people and people understood that he has a real feeling for his country."

Hughes, like Giggs, began his managerial career with Wales.

He has since managed Blackburn, Manchester City, Fulham, Queens Park Rangers, Stoke and most recently Southampton, who he left in December 2018.

Now 56, Hughes is eager to return to football.

"I haven't retired yet," he said. "People might assume I have, but I am available.

"I am open to opportunities whatever they are and wherever they are. I am at a stage of my life where I am not restricted really in terms of where I can go, it's just that the world is restricted at the moment with this strange situation everyone finds themselves in terms of Covid.

"There are opportunities I have looked at and thought might be interesting but I haven't pursued too many of them. I'll know when an opportunity arises that it's time to go back in."

"Maybe they felt his management CV wasn't strong enough at that point; 

Not that I would be against this idiotic suggestion but just how is Giggs C.V any better than the Norwegian pe teacher I hope they go balls deep in it let the fun continue 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

World's most expensive defender.  That phrase NEVER gets mentioned about him, yet it was spouted every single game VVD had for us until Utd spunked £80m on this troglodyte.

Maybe because when VVD played he looked like the world best and expensive player.

We paid a world record fee for the best car in the world, Utd then paid more for a Datsun Cherry.

• Upvote 1