You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

To have an ex player, a fan’s hero, as your manager could easily put you in a catch-22 situation. How do you get rid of your man   if you believe he wasn’t the right man after all? It just makes things more difficult.

Both Chelsea and ManU are staring at this problem. What I want is for Ole and Frank to do reasonably well, well enough to keep them in charge.

This is surely something to think about for us as well when Stevie G comes knocking on our door in a few years when Kloppo retires.

2 hours ago, JustTosh said:

To have an ex player, a fan’s hero, as your manager could easily put you in a catch-22 situation. How do you get rid of your man   if you believe he wasn’t the right man after all? It just makes things more difficult.

Both Chelsea and ManU are staring at this problem. What I want is for Ole and Frank to do reasonably well, well enough to keep them in charge.

This is surely something to think about for us as well when Stevie G comes knocking on our door in a few years when Kloppo retires.

You should hire the best person for the job regardless of where they've played. If Gerrard is the right person, we should hire him - you can't make a hiring decision of a manager based on "what if he's the wrong man" as you'd never let him buy players or implement any of his ideas. You shouldn't just hire ex-players with no skills for the job like OGS, but if Gerrard shows the right credentials, he should have the same chance as everyone else with the right credentials.

As yet, he hasn't shown he's a good manager, so he shouldn't be in any discussion of klopp was to walk away tomorrow. But who knows where he'll be in 2024 when klopp's contract ends? If he's won the league in Scotland, moves on and is smashing it elsewhere - can you imagine the pressure on anyone who takes the Liverpool job while Gerrard is killing it elsewhere? It would be akin to letting klopp take training twice a week once he's gone. With every downside in hiring an ex star, there's a up side. The only thing that should matter is will he make the best manager we can have.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

It's a certainty that whoever follows Klopp will struggle to get anywhere near his level of achievement.

Gerrard left as a hero. Coming back wouldn't work for him or us. 

Did Gerrard leave as a hero? We all loved him obviously, but he left with quite a whimper. I'm not in his head but I wouldn't be surprised if his greatest ambition is to win the title as our manager to "make up" for not doing it as a player. 

• Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's probably inevitable, especially as he hasn't hurt his chances with his job at Rangers. 

He has signed about 40 players since he has been there and they haven't won a thing. He has never known his best 11 and a few good Old Firm performances (their best being when Celtic had already won the title) and a few half decent away results in the Europa League have not in anyway whatsoever made him an appealing proposition for the Liverpool job. 

His legacy with us is all he has in his favour right now. 

27 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont see it with Ljinders if Im honest. Not saying Im seeing it with Stevie either. As for solskjaer, I hope the inept twat stays in his job for years and years. Doubt he'll get beyond this season, to be honest.

I suspect Klopp will help pick his own replacement, probably got a dossier on him or some shit already.

The only way I would've taken Gerrard as manager is if he had stayed as part of the coaching set up and progressed through the ranks, learning all the time under klopp. He could've gone from under 18s, to 23s, to first team coach, then assistant manager. Klopp manages within the philosophy of the club as well as bringing his own style to it and it works. I would like a guy who is very familiar with that set up and is very Klopp like, if possible, in the way our team plays.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

He has signed about 40 players since he has been there and they haven't won a thing. He has never known his best 11 and a few good Old Firm performances (their best being when Celtic had already won the title) and a few half decent away results in the Europa League have not in anyway whatsoever made him an appealing proposition for the Liverpool job. 

His legacy with us is all he has in his favour right now. 

Ok, but has he hurt his chances of one day managing us with his performance at Rangers? Not a chance. It's not like he's been a disaster.

23 minutes ago, niallers said:

The only way I would've taken Gerrard as manager is if he had stayed as part of the coaching set up and progressed through the ranks, learning all the time under klopp. He could've gone from under 18s, to 23s, to first team coach, then assistant manager. Klopp manages within the philosophy of the club as well as bringing his own style to it and it works. I would like a guy who is very familiar with that set up and is very Klopp like, if possible, in the way our team plays.

That’s the thing with Gerrard though, and same with Klopp - they’re their own men. They will learn and watch, but they forge their own paths.

56 minutes ago, sir roger said:

There has been some discussion on here about Mane and Salah during the PL trophy presentation, but the thing that caught my eye was the lack of rapport between Ljinders and Krawietz. If Jurgen goes at some point there is going to be some proper Iron Throne shit between them two.

I think Krawietz goes when Klopp goes, or perhaps stays as assistant here if Klopp retires. Ljinders, on the other hand, clearly has ambitions of managing, and has already attempted to go it alone. He seems to have quickly filled the hole left by Buvac's departure, so is best positioned to make the step up.