You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

9 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Woodward may well be awful at negotiating, but they still end up getting their targets quite a lot of the time, don't they? Obviously there are some notable exceptions, but it's not like they haven't got most of the players their managers have wanted (maybe this summer being the exception). I still reckon Pochhetino (or similar) could get them challenging without many other structural changes at the club.

Im not sure he is any worse than most PL negotiators. Despite what their fans think, players dont see united as the all conquering team they were. As Ive said, it's like us through the 1990s. We couldnt attract the top players because we weren't see as top dogs by the players any more.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Im not sure he is any worse than most PL negotiators. Despite what their fans think, players dont see united as the all conquering team they were. As Ive said, it's like us through the 1990s. We couldnt attract the top players because we weren't see as top dogs by the players any more.

Yeah that's probably fair. I doubt they're as attractive a proposition as they once were. But they still pay top wages, so I don't think it'd be too much of an issue getting big players to sign.

10 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Woodward may well be awful at negotiating, but they still end up getting their targets quite a lot of the time, don't they? Obviously there are some notable exceptions, but it's not like they haven't got most of the players their managers have wanted (maybe this summer being the exception). I still reckon Pochhetino (or similar) could get them challenging without many other structural changes at the club.

I think generally you're right, but they've messed things up so bad this summer that they've got their own players saying they need to sign people. Shaw was saying they need signings the other day despite the fact they've been looking for a left back and he might lose his job. It's a mess there right now, there's nonsense going on all over the place.

On 21/09/2020 at 12:56, Dr Nowt said:

My only concern is the chubby hamster seemingly sitting off waiting for either Ole to get the boot or Guardiola to fuck off. Don’t mind him going to City at all, he’d be a downgrade for them and it’s already a 21st century club.

He’d massively help United modernise their whole infrastructure on the playing side though, and I don’t want to see that while there’s more comically terrible retrograde decisions for them to make and self-inflicted disasters for us to savour.

I think Pocchetino would do a much better job than Solksjaer,most competent managers would,but not anywhere near enough to bypass us City or possibly even Chelsea. For all his faults,Rodgers Leicester side are at least on a par with United too and would still be difficult to surpass without more heavy,but sensible investment.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think generally you're right, but they've messed things up so bad this summer that they've got their own players saying they need to sign people. Shaw was saying they need signings the other day despite the fact they've been looking for a left back and he might lose his job. It's a mess there right now, there's nonsense going on all over the place.

Yeah they have had a spectacularly shambolic summer.

24 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Pocchetino would do a much better job than Solksjaer,most competent managers would,but not anywhere near enough to bypass us City or possibly even Chelsea. For all his faults,Rodgers Leicester side are at least on a par with United too and would still be difficult to surpass without more heavy,but sensible investment.

I agree mate. They’re no great concern to us for at least the next couple of seasons. However, it would still set them on the right path and away from being the comic powerhouse they are currently. Fuck. That.

• Upvote 1

They are obviously trading on the name and past successes and the fans think they can attract the very best from anywhere in the world even with Crackle there , the reality is they are not top of the list as regards the destination any world class player will  think off when they are thinking of moving to the premier league they will attract a level of player like Fernandes and the odd decent international but players like Sancho would be mad to consider Utd at this moment in time 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah sadly I think most managers would be an upgrade on Solksjaer, who was an astonishing appointment given his lack of experience and achievements in the game. What they're lacking is what the likes of Houllier, Rafa and Klopp gave us - a plan. You need a manager to sit down with his staff and the board earl on and say 'here's how we're gonna play, here's the type of players we need to make it happen, this is how  they're going to train'. It might take a year, it might take two or three, but that's what you're working towards. You stamp that authority right throughout the club, including the youth players and you wait for it to work or not. 

I reckon Solksjaer is getting instructions from Ferguson and by all accounts his training methods don't seem to go much beyond running and playing five a side. Can't see there being much in the way of sports science going on there. 

They were cooing over Van De Beek scoring but it didn't come at the end of a move, he was basically just in the box. That's how they'll win games this season, it'll be a case of players grabbing goals and just outclassing lower league sides, but there's no pattern or discernible way of playing there that I can fathom.

As I say, long may he reign. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Duff Man said:

I’m not sure that’s right. They more often than not fail to get their first choice targets. 

it was widely reported they were after haaland - they ended up with Igahlo on loan instead, Bellingham had a tour given by Ferguson but dragged his feet then went to Dortmund, regullion and bale (the latter maybe not so seriously) who were linked but went to spurs, sancho still hasn’t signed.

even when they got their man, they drag out transfers by low balling before caving in and paying the original asking price like they did with Maguire, AWB and Fernandes.

11 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I’m not sure that’s right. They more often than not fail to get their first choice targets. 

it was widely reported they were after haaland - they ended up with Igahlo on loan instead, Bellingham had a tour given by Ferguson but dragged his feet then went to Dortmund, regullion and bale (the latter maybe not so seriously) who were linked but went to spurs, sancho still hasn’t signed.

even when they got their man, they drag out transfers by low balling before caving in and paying the original asking price like they did with Maguire, AWB and Fernandes.

Not sure that refutes anything I've said, but my main point was that there's enough money sloshing around the club for them to be challenging again if they just get the manager right.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

When do we play them? Need to buy some KY.

We could play them have our side fully fit

ready to go & they could have half their first team out with COVID 19 and if the match is at OT we’d be lucky to scrape a draw.

(we’ll batter them at home though)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mark M said:

We could play them have our side fully fit

ready to go & they could have half their first team out with COVID 19 and if the match is at OT we’d be lucky to scrape a draw.

(we’ll batter them at home though)

That does seem to be the way of things these days. Be nice to do a re-imagining of Nando 09 this year, with slab head in the Vidic role.

On 21/09/2020 at 12:59, Bjornebye said:

They badly need to fuck Pogba off. I just don't get it at all with him. he is utter fucking shite. Yeah he had a great world cup and yeah he was boss in Serie A but he cant hack the premier league. His first touch is worse than Buster Bloodvessels. Absolute gobshite as well. 

I hope Rashford fucks them off. Love that lad. 

Well I don't love him like but I like him. 

Pogba and Rashford are poles apart. Imagine Pogba having sympathy for a starving child? He'd probably have the child's initials shaved into his hair to 'highlight their plight'. 

The manager position is definitely the most important problem for them.  Every hire they’ve gone for since Ferguson has been a bad one.  Moyes was a comically arrogant decision, Van Gaal and Mourinho were past it negative managers and Solskjær is almost definitely just a Ferguson puppet.  I think Solskjær is actually there for the club to get a grip of the transfer policy again.  The funny thing is that they were all backed as great decisions by Neville and the Man Utd media machine.  Woodward is the convenient scapegoat but he’s clearly following the advice of their “football men” who then seem to start blaming “the board” when things go wrong.

After Moyes flopped they’ve sold the club to every manager as Disneyland as in the club will throw as much money at whatever players they want.  Van Gaal and Mourinho then went a blew astronomical amounts on fees and just as importantly wages. You can go all the way back to Schweinsteiger and Falcao as the beginning of it.  It created a vicious circle where every time they want to sign a player they end up paying over the odds because the club and player can see what they did on the previous transfer.

Woodward is fucked whatever he does.  They haven’t got infinite money like City and it finally seems to be hitting the point where they can’t just spend whatever.  I think they’re fed up with getting ripped off for players every single time they sign someone.  The only way to stop it is to walk away from transfers and do it a lot of times.  Eventually your image will change to a club that won’t just pay the asking price and clubs won’t try to screw your every time.  It’s the same with regards to wages.  The problem for Woodward is that the first couple of times he’s tried to do this with Fernandez and Sancho, the fans and the media machine has lost its shit and he’s getting a reputation for not backing managers which is completely laughable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7