You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

On 29/06/2020 at 15:50, Jordy Brouwer said:

I keep hearing the opinion that United only need "one or two" more quality players and they will be back as a real force, maybe even contenders. 

I'm very sceptical but there is no doubt that Fernandes was a step in the right direction for them and they actually do have some good players. I also am cursed with a good memory in some areas and can't just forget the decades of hurt and what they were. 

I don't think they will be challenging us with just one or two good signings but if it gets to three or four. Yeah I might start to worry a bit. 

Fernandez just brings some different issues to a manager who is a one trick pony of trying to sit deep, swallow pressure and spring a break. From what I've seen of Fernandez, aside from conceding possession a lot because he'll shoot from anywhere or try a pass that isn't on like many attacking players do, he's not really interested in running back, he's half arsed at it. So with him in the side and pogba, they'll often have 2 in the centre of midfield who don't want to work without the ball. So the mancs will start picking up more points against the middling teams they've been losing to and they'll start to find it harder against the others in the top 8 who they've been doing ok against. Fernandez would move them forward with a tactically astute manager, but I don't see wagon as one of them. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

Fernandez just brings some different issues to a manager who is a one trick pony of trying to sit deep, swallow pressure and spring a break. From what I've seen of Fernandez, aside from conceding possession a lot because he'll shoot from anywhere or try a pass that isn't on like many attacking players do, he's not really interested in running back, he's half arsed at it. So with him in the side and pogba, they'll often have 2 in the centre of midfield who don't want to work without the ball. So the mancs will start picking up more points against the middling teams they've been losing to and they'll start to find it harder against the others in the top 8 who they've been doing ok against. Fernandez would move them forward with a tactically astute manager, but I don't see wagon as one of them. 

They certainly need a defensive midfielder. That is one of the remaining "pieces". One of many including the manager. 

I gave a loud hearty laugh when I arrived at work to hear 2 manc colleagues enthusing over their prospects this mornings.

Told them, been there before many times- had a wager with them that if football returns to any sort of normal then "Ole" will be out of a job by January. And the cycle continues.

Why! they cried.

Because Jurgen has taught us the manager has to be the pinnacle of the squad that all look up to. Begrudgingly like they had in Ferguson.     

Solksjaer will always be bullied by-

Agents

Boardroom

Superstar players

Fans

Plus he's entrenched in their past. Few good games against sides like Brighton, who actively stated they would rather not be playing, is no measure of this bunch.     

@Dave D

Yep - the fiber of any team is made up of the top half dozen players. We have consummate professionals and world class talents occupying that space.  VvD, Henderson/Milner, Mane, Gini, Salah. 

They have Pogba sitting out a year, Martial spitting his dummy out, Maguire puffing his chest and Rashford stuck in a luxury hotel room with some blert posting about beans on social media. 

• Upvote 1

This run they’re on at the moment, what is it? 15 games unbeaten? Something like that.

well admittedly Fernandes has come in and hit the ground running but apart from against dross, and including dross in an empty stadium, have they actually looked good during any of it?

i thought they were shit against spurs when I watched that one, and they were at least equally shite against Norwich, so I don’t see anything different from when he first took over and they had a run of results against rubbish teams.

fair enough, from here it looks like they will probably get top 4 now, which is a disappointment given the money they would’ve lost out of if they don’t, but they’re still miles away from being a genuinely good side.

We used to go on unbeaten runs all the time in the second half of the season when we completely out of the title running and all the expectation had gone. Once the pressure of a title challenge was off, the players were able to put a run together. It will be a different story next season when the games are coming thick and fast in the autumn and their fans have allowed themselves to get carried away by a strong finish to this season and the expectation that will bring.

I expect them to improve, but I’d be surprised if they finish next season within 12 points of us and City.

• Upvote 6

Of United's games since the restart I've only seen the Spurs game, and they were completely fucking woeful. Spurs under Mourinho are horrific to watch, but they absolutely battered them until the hour mark, and should have been out of sight. I'm loving the delusion from their fanbase, as someone who spent large swathes of the 1990s claiming that Jamie Redknapp would walk into United's side I can see it for what it is.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

Of United's games since the restart I've only seen the Spurs game, and they were completely fucking woeful. Spurs under Mourinho are horrific to watch, but they absolutely battered them until the hour mark, and should have been out of sight. I'm loving the delusion from their fanbase, as someone who spent large swathes of the 1990s claiming that Jamie Redknapp would walk into United's side I can see it for what it is.

This is it- we've seen it play out and had the false dawns ourselves. The very good footballers arrive....and then they leave as they become the only standout player we have. Fans get restless, club gets trigger happy firing managers, players get signed on the back of a 10 game hot streak like Benteke, without any real understanding of how they will fit/adapt.

They will continue to bust a gut when they play us, likely getting some good results- its just part of the dance     

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dave D said:

This is it- we've seen it play out and had the false dawns ourselves. The very good footballers arrive....and then they leave as they become the only standout player we have. Fans get restless, club gets trigger happy firing managers, players get signed on the back of a 10 game hot streak like Benteke, without any real understanding of how they will fit/adapt.

They will continue to bust a gut when they play us, likely getting some good results- its just part of the dance     

This and the new local hero breaks through (Owen, McMananaman etc) before getting frustrated and heading to Spain.  

Sadly I don't think Man Utd will play out like us.  They have loads of money, we never did, so they just need to get the right manager.  Not an easy task in itself but they'll get it right, probably the one after Solskjaer assuming he's the chancer most think he is.

29 minutes ago, Moo said:

Sadly I don't think Man Utd will play out like us.  They have loads of money, we never did, so they just need to get the right manager.  Not an easy task in itself but they'll get it right, probably the one after Solskjaer assuming he's the chancer most think he is.

I definitely think that's a fair guess, but in spite of the money they have the lack of direction the club has is definitely comparable with us in the mid-90s. They bounce from manager to manager without a consistent ethos or style of play, and their transfer strategy seems completely scattershot. You might be right, but I'm not certain. For all the hype around them at the moment, I still don't think they have a single player that comfortably gets in ours or City's first team.

55 minutes ago, Moo said:

Is it right to say we never had money? Pre Abramovich or certainly from 1990 to 2000 we could compete with Utd and Arsenal and blow the rest away. We spent money badly on more occasions than we spent it well. It's exactly what Utd are doing now although I'd argue with transfer and wage inflation a bad mistake now will take longer to move on from. Sanchez for example is a turd that can't be flushed, Pogba is on too money for anyone to buy. So is Rashford and DeGea if they ever try shift them.

A few have said Utd making the top 4 is bad. I don't see it that way, Ole making gradual progress is great, hopefully he makes some every year for the next 5. When they realise he's a joke they have to start the whole process again.

• Like 1

Liverpool consistently broke transfer records and bought big in the Souness/Evans eras. Saunders, Wright, Clough, Collymore. All major targets for top teams. Just because the fees are much, much bigger now doesn't mean it's not comparable.

Utd's situation is practically identical to us in the 90's. Long may it continue

• Upvote 1

They're gonna win the league next year, greenwood is the greatest thing since that Belgian jazzypants lad they had who they tried to get to play for England because he was so good, and Sancho will be lucky to get a place on the bench when he comes.

I thoroughly encourage and endorse this kind of behaviour.

they do look better recently and Bruno Fernandes has made a huge difference to their play. 

they smashed a hopeless Bournemouth and have picked up wins against sodes

with not much to play for after an unprecedented break. It’ll be interesting to see if they can do the same next season and if they don’t align to the rising expectations early next season could be interesting viewing.

10 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

they do look better recently and Bruno Fernandes has made a huge difference to their play. 

they smashed a hopeless Bournemouth and have picked up wins against sodes

with not much to play for after an unprecedented break. It’ll be interesting to see if they can do the same next season and if they don’t align to the rising expectations early next season could be interesting viewing.

They're in the Roy Evans era of their evolution, lacking consistency, winning when there's nothing to play for and losing when there is, pinning all hopes on a new arrival or youth prospect, but ultimately winning fuck all and never far away from another dry bumming and heartbreak. That’s why it's fun to watch, we know how the story goes.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

They're gonna win the league next year, greenwood is the greatest thing since that Belgian jazzypants lad they had who they tried to get to play for England because he was so good, and Sancho will be lucky to get a place on the bench when he comes.

I thoroughly encourage and endorse this kind of behaviour.

I hate to say it, but I think greenwood looks a real talent. But the wanking over them today is mental. They conceded 2 goals against a team that had 8 goals this season shared by their entire starting line up before today's game. I'd like them to miss out on CL football as it's meant to be really thought for them financially. But they're fucking crap and if it keeps ole at the wheel, I'm in. 

Couldn't give two monkeys about them finishing 4th.   They're miles behind us.   They've got an 80m turd that they're going to have to flush somehow,  a keeper on 350k a week whose been playing like mignolet since the world Cup. 

Let them celebrate 4th and even an FA cup win.   I'll take the league abs the knowledge that those tables have turned completely. 

They're never gonna get anywhere with this helmet there, nor while they maintain a transfer policy based purely around placating their idiot fans rather than building towards a long-term strategy. Anything that protracts the anguish and forces them to haemorrhage more cash is fine by me.