You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Every interview he gives he always makes some snide passive aggressive comment to the interviewer. I bet he speaks to people like shit in real life also, just comes across as a total fucking prick yet his talent is far less than his ego. 

He's an absolute prick. He seems to have some nice guy persona thing for some reason but he's a massive cunt always with sly superior grin on his face every time he's interviewed. 

Had a good laugh at Pereira missing out on a tap-in during that game, by the way.

Karma for the time our U21s (at the time) were playing United's and he put in a proper shithouse performance, worst I'd ever seen in a youth game. Pereira even straight-up punched Jordan Lussey in the face when the referee wasn't looking if memory serves. The cameras caught it but he got away with it scott free as none of the refs spotted it, so his disastrous performance today was just a case of him getting what he deserved IMO.

Carra did a great job during the post-match. Got Utd fans all over social media gloating about Keane's "win" (rather than the actual result...) and contorting themselves until convinced that, yeah, he SHOULD get more time.

Give him all the time he needs, guys.

• Upvote 1

The best part of his interview was the moment he realised Geoff Shreeves had the exact details of Rashford's injury. You could see his little heart break at the thought that the club is so fucked they can't even control the whispers coming out of the club.

Today was perfect really, battered them but didn't hammer them. Keeps him in the job until the end of the season and probably beyond. Need him to stay in the job long enough ymto be humiliated in front of his own fans, Moyes style.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Pidge said:

Carra did a great job during the post-match. Got Utd fans all over social media gloating about Keane's "win" (rather than the actual result...) and contorting themselves until convinced that, yeah, he SHOULD get more time.

Give him all the time he needs, guys.

Keane's win?  That's like saying Utd won yesterday.

7 hours ago, No2 said:

The best part of his interview was the moment he realised Geoff Shreeves had the exact details of Rashford's injury. You could see his little heart break at the thought that the club is so fucked they can't even control the whispers coming out of the club.

Today was perfect really, battered them but didn't hammer them. Keeps him in the job until the end of the season and probably beyond. Need him to stay in the job long enough ymto be humiliated in front of his own fans, Moyes style.

It was obviously released by Utd themselves to deflect the little quims away from the beating.

5 minutes ago, J-V said:

It was obviously released by Utd themselves to deflect the little quims away from the beating.

Imagine Ferguson’s reaction in that situation.

Unless their weirdo owners show some humility it’s difficult to see how they will attract the kind of manager they desperately need. Pochettino would obviously be a big improvement but the club’s structure might hamstring some of his strengths in recruiting players. They need to appoint a genuine manager - not just a coach - who can impose a style and a vision on the club. Bielsa would be great for them, the nutter.

1 hour ago, J-V said:

Keane's win?  That's like saying Utd won yesterday.

They were both flapping around a point they both essentially agreed with. But apparently the Utd fans think there's some pride to take from it.

If it keeps the pressure off Ole I'm all for it.

'Marcus suffered a new injury at Wolves, yes siree. Was absolutely brand spanking new, nothing at all to do with me playing him when he needed a rest, not in any way, shape or form. Me playing him probably helped to reduce the effects of his completely unrelated to anything else ever back injury. Not down to me this, I am completely not to blame. There is nothing to see here, nothing at all ... sob'.

• Upvote 1

He's an odd one. Part creepy fucker, part bravado and all Moyesian tragedy. In interviews he puffs up with Tim Sherwood levels of delusions of grandeur; yet, pitch-side he has none of the big gilet throwing legend's mental swagger to intimate he actually believes his own bullshit. 

Appearing more like a lad on work experience, who knows deep down his ill fitting suit and attache case - secretly carrying his Transformers lunch box - isn't fooling anyone.

• Upvote 11

The new logic is brilliant.

'Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho only failed because they didn't get enough time. Therefore this guy who isn't a patch on any of them (yes, even Moyes) will eventually succeed if we give him time.'

They have to bring in a striker before the window ends now, which should be an amusing little sideshow.

• Upvote 1

Good piece by Ken Early today.

Ken Early: Solskjaer’s short-term gambles proving very costly for United

Short-sighted risking of injured players shows loyal club man also motivated by vigorous self-interest

Another big match against rivals, another Rorschach test for fans of Manchester United.

What did they see in that 90 minutes at Anfield? Was it an embarrassingly one-sided defeat that proved United are further behind Liverpool than at any point since they were relegated in the mid-1970s?

Or was it another spirited display – a brave rearguard action that could even have ended in a draw, if Aaron Wan-Bissaka could cross – a kind of moral victory that shows the heart of this team is in the right place under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?

Under Solskjaer there has been little obvious evidence of progress. In fact the team looks worse than it did during the surprise winning run with which he began a little over a year ago, and his points-per-game record this season is worse than José Mourinho’s in the half-season preceding his sacking. Yet most Manchester United fans still seem prepared to persevere with him.

The argument for Solskjaer is emotional. As a celebrated former player who distinguished himself with his loyalty and team-mindedness, he “gets” the club. He is a kind of bulwark against the ownership and corporate management, who are motivated only by profit, who have stated openly that they can keep making money without winning and who seem happy to keep doing so.

Fans feel that with Solskjaer as coach, there is at least one part of the club hierarchy they can trust, at least one person who understands the club like they do, and who shares the same priorities.

Solskjaer plays up to this. Asked ten days ago whether he would pressure the board to make signings in January, he gave a familiar speech.

“I am not going to protect myself. I am going to do what is best for the club, what I think and we feel is right for the club and I will never put myself before the club. This is Man United and there is no ‘I’ in Manchester and for me there is no ‘I’ in this team and I could never ever do that, that’s not me. I am working for Man United, not for me.”

The next day, Marcus Rashford was pictured on his way into Old Trafford holding a little plastic case that reporters quickly identified as a container for a Melmak fracture-healing ultrasound device, described as delivering “a convenient, 20 minute per day, home-based treatment which improves the speed of healing of fresh fractures and non-unions”.

Fractures? Rashford didn’t appear to be showing the effects of any fresh fractures against Norwich: instead he underlined his importance to the team with two goals, bringing him up to 14 for the season in the league.

On Wednesday United played Wolves in the FA Cup third round replay at Old Trafford. Rashford was on the bench, but after 64 minutes, with the game still goalless, Solskjaer turned to his top scorer to break the deadlock.

A few minutes later Rashford was involved in a collision with Matt Doherty, which is a bit like being run into by a brick wall. He lay face down on the ground in obvious pain, then tried to play on for a few minutes before admitting defeat. He had lasted 16 minutes, but at least United had scored the winner during this brief sortie.

Aggravated injury

Rashford tweeted after the game: “Never want to feel like I’ve let my teammates, the club and most importantly the fans down so did my very best to carry on tonight and was gutted to come off.”

The tone was odd. Surely he should know that there is no shame in getting injured?

Only on Sunday was the full extent of his injury confirmed. It appears Rashford had gone onto the pitch against Wolves carrying one stress fracture and had come off it with two. The aggravated injury will keep him out for up to three months, which seriously damages United’s hopes of overtaking Chelsea for the fourth Champions League spot.

Perhaps it could be dismissed as bad luck – if it was the first time that something like this had happened. But United players bravely playing through injury at the cost of making their injuries worse has become a definite theme of the season. On St Stephens’ Day, Scott McTominay injured his knee tackling Sean Longstaff in the opening exchanges. He played the rest of the first half on what was later confirmed to be torn knee ligaments.

“The boy has got the biggest heart of the lot,” Solskjaer said. That big heart is not expected back in action until March.

McTominay was replaced that day by Paul Pogba, who himself was just back from a lengthy injury lay-off. Pogba’s injury troubles started in September when he missed three matches due to an ankle problem. His return to the team surprisingly came in a Carabao Cup game against Rochdale – the sort of game when most big clubs play the reserves. It ended up going to extra time and Pogba played all 120 minutes.

Before the next match, which was five days later against Arsenal, Solskjaer revealed that Pogba’s ankle had swollen up after the Rochdale game. Nevertheless he played the full 90 minutes against Arsenal. He then missed the next 17 matches with ankle problems. He returned to the team around Christmas, coming on against Watford and replacing McTominay against Newcastle. After Newcastle, the ankle flared up again to the extent that Pogba required surgery: another month or two on the sidelines. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

The player who was causing most concern recently was actually not Rashford but rather Harry Maguire, who was reported to have torn a muscle in his hip in the FA Cup match against Wolves. After missing the Carabao Cup semi-final against Manchester City, a match in which City’s forwards had fun giving Phil Jones and Victor Lindelof the runaround, Maguire was surprisingly back in the first team against Norwich three days later.

Managing selflessly

“He’s a warrior,” said Solskjaer.

“I had a problem with my muscle, but it was only a small muscle and I normally recover quick and can play with a bit of pain,” said Maguire. Only a small muscle? Some of them might be small but they’re all there for a reason.

Nobody can question the determination of these Manchester United players (except Pogba, on whom it always seems to be open season) but perhaps discretion would be the better part of valour when it comes to managing these injuries.

That they play through these injuries is at the discretion of a coach who claims to be managing selflessly in the long-term interests of the club, but who has actually taken a series of short-termist gambles for which several of his players are now paying the price.

Solskjaer was once known as the baby-faced assassin, the sweet and innocent boy with the cold ruthless heart of a penalty-box killer. Let nobody be fooled into thinking that Solskjaer the coach, the humble custodian who speaks constantly of his pride at being chosen to serve such a great institution, is not also motivated by a vigorous self-interest.

• Upvote 6

38 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

BBZ8oQq.jpg

1:23 - 1:25 - Nervous fake laugh followed by smelling a nearby turd.

2:02 - 2:07 - Brent-esque "let me just correct you there".

2:32 - Laughing at his only player that scores any goals being out for most of the rest of the season.

He's fucking brilliant. You'd struggle to write such a convincing, unconvincing tit.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

1:23 - 1:25 - Nervous fake laugh followed by smelling a nearby turd.

2:02 - 2:07 - Brent-esque "let me just correct you there".

2:32 - Laughing at his only player that scores any goals being out for most of the rest of the season.

He's fucking brilliant. You'd struggle to write such a convincing, unconvincing tit.

He is indeed. More Brittas Empire than Brent overall I’d say, but a magnificent comedy character either way.

Particularly given the situation it puts their fans in, as to the enforced show of conspicuous loyalty while he’s steering them off ever further into the wilderness.