You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

On 25/09/2019 at 12:18, TheHowieLama said:

United midfielder Paul Pogba will demand the club doubles his wages as the 26-year-old France international attempts to force through a move to Real Madrid.

giphy.gif

I've said it before  - that line in the "Ole's at the Wheel" song "We've got Pogba and Sanchez and Fred" isn't a boast; it's a diagnosis. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, No2 said:

How is it possible to win the league, spend a billion quid in the following 6 years and be that bad? That is an achievement of epic proportions.

I watched the penos last night and all I could think of was formidable Northampton Town. We reached that point by selling everything half decent we owned, they have managed to do it by spending more than Real Madrid.

I still think he will turn it around, he just needs time.

I had lunch with a manc mate earlier in the week. It was funny, he was saying "I just don't understand it, we seem to keep buying players, except we've got no players. I don't mean we've got no squad, I mean we've got no players. How's that possible?". I just said to him "it's tough at the top ". I would have said 'dont worry ole is at the wheel" but I genuinely don't understand what that is all about. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I had lunch with a manc mate earlier in the week. It was funny, he was saying "I just don't understand it, we seem to keep buying players, except we've got no players. I don't mean we've got no squad, I mean we've got no players. How's that possible?". I just said to him "it's tough at the top ". I would have said 'dont worry ole is at the wheel" but I genuinely don't understand what that is all about. 

It means that things are going swimmingly.

Former Manchester United chief executive Peter Kenyon believes the club are paying a high price for their decision to appoint Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as a successor to Jose Mourinho.

The Red Devils have only picked up eight points from their first six matches of the Premier League season on the back of Sunday’s 2-0 defeat at West Ham and already find themselves 10 points adrift of leaders Liverpool.

That has led to a worrying admission of where the club are at by the club’s owners, the Glazer family, while Roy Keane did not hold back in his criticism of Manchester United, telling them multiple home truths, while Gary Neville says the club needs to sign five top-class stars just to get back on an even playing field with Liverpool.

However, former CEO Kenyon – having watched the club struggle to beat League One Rochdale in the Carabao Cup in midweek – believes United have made zero progress since appointing Solskjaer – and says if he were still in charge he’d bring back the controversial Portuguese coach.

Speaking at the World Football Summit, Kenyon said: “If you put me in charge of a great club and you needed to appoint a manager, my first thought would be Jose Mourinho.

“He’s intelligent, he’s relevant and has vast experience. He isn’t outdated. I just think he needs the right club. I’m sure that you’ll see Mourinho be a part of a great club again.”

In publishing their annual accounts in midweek, United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward called for Solskjaer to be afforded more time and underlined the club’s philosophy to build again from the youth team up again.

But Kenyon reckons Mourinho, sacked last December, should have been afforded the same luxury and added: “The key is to give him the adequate structure and organisation to make sure he’s a part of everything.

“I was the first to express my disappointment when he left United because I think he could have been a part of that great leadership structure.

“No one better than him know what United represents. Jose is far from being an irrelevant and outdated manager.”

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Former Manchester United chief executive Peter Kenyon believes the club are paying a high price for their decision to appoint Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as a successor to Jose Mourinho.

The Red Devils have only picked up eight points from their first six matches of the Premier League season on the back of Sunday’s 2-0 defeat at West Ham and already find themselves 10 points adrift of leaders Liverpool.

That has led to a worrying admission of where the club are at by the club’s owners, the Glazer family, while Roy Keane did not hold back in his criticism of Manchester United, telling them multiple home truths, while Gary Neville says the club needs to sign five top-class stars just to get back on an even playing field with Liverpool.

However, former CEO Kenyon – having watched the club struggle to beat League One Rochdale in the Carabao Cup in midweek – believes United have made zero progress since appointing Solskjaer – and says if he were still in charge he’d bring back the controversial Portuguese coach.

Speaking at the World Football Summit, Kenyon said: “If you put me in charge of a great club and you needed to appoint a manager, my first thought would be Jose Mourinho.

“He’s intelligent, he’s relevant and has vast experience. He isn’t outdated. I just think he needs the right club. I’m sure that you’ll see Mourinho be a part of a great club again.”

In publishing their annual accounts in midweek, United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward called for Solskjaer to be afforded more time and underlined the club’s philosophy to build again from the youth team up again.

But Kenyon reckons Mourinho, sacked last December, should have been afforded the same luxury and added: “The key is to give him the adequate structure and organisation to make sure he’s a part of everything.

“I was the first to express my disappointment when he left United because I think he could have been a part of that great leadership structure.

“No one better than him know what United represents. Jose is far from being an irrelevant and outdated manager.”

He's right you know. 

a49X35mP_700w_0.jpg

11 hours ago, No2 said:

How is it possible to win the league, spend a billion quid in the following 6 years and be that bad? That is an achievement of epic proportions.

I watched the penos last night and all I could think of was formidable Northampton Town. We reached that point by selling everything half decent we owned, they have managed to do it by spending more than Real Madrid.

I still think he will turn it around, he just needs time.

It can seem exceptional when you put it that way, but their last title winning side was quite old and they've bought about as horrendously since then as it can possibly get. 

We have to thank our lucky stars for Ed Woodward. His mismanagement on the football side despite them being an absolute cash machine has been glorious to watch. 

Peter Kenyon thinks Jose should have been afforded more time to bring youth players through? Yes, Peter, because that’s what Jose is known for, and he in no way - no way - angled to be sacked when they wouldn’t give him another £300m for players...

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, φαίνω said:

I could be wrong, it might be before. 

I'm not so sure mate. A lot of noise from the Old Trafford board about them being adamant in seeing through their latest plan of building on youngsters and having OGS oversee that. You get the feeling that it is no more than a long term plan to ease up on their spending and to tread water whilst City and ourselves are so dominant and years ahead of them in just about all aspects of the game. 

Manchester United will again try to hire Mauricio Pochettino as their new manager if they sack Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - but will have to pay Tottenham £32million up front.

The Argentine was one of many managers linked with the Old Trafford post in December when the Red Devils parted ways with Jose Mourinho. However, he stayed put and led Spurs to last season's Champions League final.

However, Pochettino has since become frustrated at the start of the new campaign amid a worrying slump in form and the uncertain futures of a number of the club's star names.

That has led to more questions about his future and United are now plotting a move that would see him replace the under-fire Solskjaer.

The Norwegian's position at Old Trafford looks increasingly fragile after a poor start to the season that has already left United 10 points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool.

Poor performances against Rochdale, West Ham and Astana in their last three games have also left fans frustrated while the club's failure to sign a replacement for Romelu Lukaku in the summer has left them short of options in attack.

However, it is claimed that Pochettino's five-year deal that was signed at the start of last season does not include any exit clauses.

This means any club wishing to secure his services must pay the rest of his £8.5m-a-year contract, which still has three years and nine months left to run. 

Pochettino has recently admitted he is 'suffering' as Tottenham's form fades and ranks losing the Champions League final to Liverpool on June 1 was one of the two biggest disappointments of his football career. 

Spurs have won only twice in eight games since last season ended in defeat in Madrid and this week they were dumped out of the Carabao Cup by Colchester United of League Two.

'Of course I am suffering,' said Pochettino. 'Football for me is all about the glory. There is nothing more important. There is nothing like the feeling when you win.

'This is my sixth season here and I am in an unbelievable environment. The training ground is amazing and we have the best stadium in the world. But football is about glory. It is about winning.'

(This was cut and pasted from the daily mail, so take it with a pinch of salt of course) 

Probably tabloid bollocks but who knows, I don't see them paying that sort of cash for him when they could get a much better manager for a lot less. 

The thing with the mancs, they do love a bit of dick swinging and the chance to show how considerably richer they are than the rest of us. They've even gone toe to toe with a state over the last few years. It's their go to strategy and has been since the other purple faced cunt retired. I would think pochetino costing £32m would make him more attractive than if he was out of work. The only thing is, the mancs who follow them closely seem to think the money has run out. Let's hope so and they stick with agent ole. 

6a00d8341c565553ef01287720ae12970c.jpg

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The thing with the mancs, they do love a bit of dick swinging and the chance to show how considerably richer they are than the rest of us. They've even gone toe to toe with a state over the last few years. It's their go to strategy and has been since the other purple faced cunt retired. I would think pochetino costing £32m would make him more attractive than if he was out of work. The only thing is, the mancs who follow them closely seem to think the money has run out. Let's hope so and they stick with agent ole. 

6a00d8341c565553ef01287720ae12970c.jpg

I've said this before but I think Woodward and the Glazers have long since settled on a strategy of maintaining the mancs as a global elite club by behaviour rather than success. Splashing massive cash on a marketing machine like Pogba - with his haircuts and bespoke emoji - has them trending just as much as winning the League Cup, and is a damn sight easier than winning the Champions League. So they'll continue to spend money,  the more the better, because big clubs spend big money and therefore if they spend the biggest money they're the biggest club, right?

Guest Pistonbroke
25 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Ole could walk if results go really bad in the coming weeks. If we smashed them in October he could go. He loves the club to be fair to him.

If the Board and Owners show him he's loved I doubt he'll walk, he'll buy into their plan and gladly lick arse. Having said that, if the fans do turn on him in a big way then that could change his way of thinking. He sees himself as a fans darling because of that game v Bayern, I doubt he'd want to damage that if they started voicing their disapproval. Clever move would be to walk away intact and let the feral rats turn their anger towards the board, a proper little Martyr's move. 

I don't care whether OGS stays or goes , I want them to get smashed in every game ( maybe a free pass against City). New manager or not they have a several seasons at least before they could get it right. 

I think we have to accept at some point they will be back as a force so I would rather enjoy the moment than worry about them getting a better manager, 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They should have got as much as possible as they could for Pogba then bought a couple more players. Who would want to go and play next to that poisonous shithouse. 

Said the same at the start of the window.  It did ruin their summer and remains a massive distraction.

Much as I hated it at the time Klopp was right to offload Coutinho as soon as he got itchy feet. We got a good deal and the manager was savvy enough to fill the gaps.

14 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

while Gary Neville says the club needs to sign five top-class stars just to get back on an even playing field with Liverpool.

5??

Fuck me, there's not one player in their starting 11 that would get into our team.

And I'm including De Gea for Adrian in that!

Deluded cunts.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lario said:

5??

Fuck me, there's not one player in their starting 11 that would get into our team.

And I'm including De Gea for Adrian in that!

Deluded cunts.

Yes, first time since the late 1980s that I've felt the same. Even Leicester have a vastly better first XI than them.

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

If the Board and Owners show him he's loved I doubt he'll walk, he'll buy into their plan and gladly lick arse. Having said that, if the fans do turn on him in a big way then that could change his way of thinking. He sees himself as a fans darling because of that game v Bayern, I doubt he'd want to damage that if they started voicing their disapproval. Clever move would be to walk away intact and let the feral rats turn their anger towards the board, a proper little Martyr's move. 

They give out about their board, but they have given them serious money since Taggart left. Their fans are actually part of the problem.

They appointed Moyes who was their chosen one from Fergie. Their fans can't argue with their board following his advice. 

They appointed Van Gaal who was a top class manager who was managed massive clubs and Holland. Can't say he wasn't a good choice on paper. 

They appointed a proven top class manager in Jose with a knowledge of the Premier League. He's a poisonous bastard but on paper, it pointed towards short term success.

They then appointed Ole off the back of him winning a load of games and being a memory of better times. The fans wanted him and the board gave them what they wanted. 

The fact is their club is like us in the 90s. Their glory years are too recent and most of their fans want instant success. The remaining great managers in world football like Ancelloti either wouldn't go there or won't want a project to be 3-5 years. Some top players would go there but the really great ones wouldn't and would see the mess the club is. 

Chelsea has a bright young manager with great young talents. They also have the London factor for attracting top foreign players. They are far closer to us and City than the Mancs.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

They give out about their board, but they have given them serious money since Taggart left. Their fans are actually part of the problem.

They appointed Moyes who was their chosen one from Fergie. Their fans can't argue with their board following his advice. 

They appointed Van Gaal who was a top class manager who was managed massive clubs and Holland. Can't say he wasn't a good choice on paper. 

They appointed a proven top class manager in Jose with a knowledge of the Premier League. He's a poisonous bastard but on paper, it pointed towards short term success.

They then appointed Ole off the back of him winning a load of games and being a memory of better times. The fans wanted him and the board gave them what they wanted. 

The fact is their club is like us in the 90s. Their glory years are too recent and most of their fans want instant success. The remaining great managers in world football like Ancelloti either wouldn't go there or won't want a project to be 3-5 years. Some top players would go there but the really great ones wouldn't and would see the mess the club is. 

Chelsea has a bright young manager with great young talents. They also have the London factor for attracting top foreign players. They are far closer to us and City than the Mancs.

I've been on record that saying all those managers would fail at Man U, thankfully I've been proven right. As you say though, the board backed most of them to a certain point, one could say Moyes didn't get a great deal of money, but he had a better squad to begin with on paper, they also went with the managers the fans were banging on about. Not sure Lampards future looks that bright mind, he looks naive at best when playing the better teams and although they have a few good youngsters they'll ruin their dreams once the ban is lifted and they can spend, they'll also have a fair bit to lash out if they do go far in the CL, something I doubt will happen though. Will they stick with FL when they start spending big? I'd say that was 50/50 at best considering the start they have had in both the league and CL. They'll always attract players due to the London factor, as you said yourself. Out of all the chasing pack you'd have to say the Mancs have the biggest job on their hands though, their squad is absolute gash and it looks like the money isn't going to be so easily made ready in the distant future.