You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

Wan Bissaka did ok for me in the Fantasy League last season, can’t see it being the same this season though, I think it’ll be sink or swim for the lad and the chance is, in that team, he’ll sink.

Wouldn’t mind betting he’s the first half decent player to show interest in joining them so they’ve gone all in to make a point they can still attract talent.

How the mighty fall, and we know how that feels.

Rashford getting a contract worth 250 grand a week. Looks like that Barcelona rumour worked for him, needs to sort out the fella who made it up with a few hundred grand. 

He gets more than Salah, Mane, Firmino, Van Dijk and Allison.

It's like Montgomery Brewster is in charge of the Mancs.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

This was all fairly predictable though, you seem to be implying it's part of a wider plan.  This time next year when they're still 6th the new guy will be buying Ronaldo, Alba and Thiago Silva.

I would imagine it is part of a wider plan. Bring in OGS as the face on the screen, let Ferguson be the brains of the operation and Phelan as the conduit between both, so ogs doesn't realise he's not really the manager. 

22 minutes ago, rotoq said:

Does he need time to get up to speed with how that lot play though? The more time in training with them, the worse he'll get.

He'll be stuck in to rot in the first team.

I think OGS's tactics won't be too different from palace. Sit deep, look to break quickly , hope the full backs have the legs to get back if they choose to go up in support. But they'll only go up in support against shit teams, against good teams they won't cross the half way line. 

I reckon Ole has a mountain to climb, and I agree that Wan-Bissaka may struggle to find his feet, due to the lack of team spirit and tactical/structural issues.

But if you look at the quality and age of the player it should be a both good and pretty much a low risk signing.

And very surprised by the comments about «... spending 50 million on a full back». The days when full back was maybe the least demanding and least important position are long gone.

Guest Pistonbroke
18 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I reckon Ole has a mountain to climb, and I agree that Wan-Bissaka may struggle to find his feet, due to the lack of team spirit and tactical/structural issues.

But if you look at the quality and age of the player it should be a both good and pretty much a low risk signing.

And very surprised by the comments about «... spending 50 million on a full back». The days when full back was maybe the least demanding and least important position are long gone.

So who else has spent 50 million on a 21 year old Right Back with one season at top level football and given them 80.000 a week in wages ? 

It's nothing to do with whether they can afford it mate, but the fact it is way over his actual worth. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

So who else has spent 50 million on a 21 year old Right Back with one season at top level football and given them 80.000 a week in wages ? 

It's nothing to do with whether they can afford it mate, but the fact it is way over his actual worth. 

Well, we’ll know what he was worth in a year or three won’t we. And I do suspect that hell not be the best investment, reasons mentioned in my previous post.

Would it be different if he played another position? 

Guest Pistonbroke
17 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Well, we’ll know what he was worth in a year or three won’t we. And I do suspect that hell not be the best investment, reasons mentioned in my previous post.

Would it be different if he played another position? 

The point some are making is what he is worth now, Man U didn't pay 10-15 million for a 21 yo prospect, they paid 50 million. Even if he has another two seasons like the last they'll be hard pushed to get their money back for a RB unless his form helps them to win the League or do well in Europe. Even then the current rate for top players in that Position is about what they paid for him. I'm not sure what you are getting at with your last question. He's a RB and that is what Man United bought him for. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

The point some are making is what he is worth now, Man U didn't pay 10-15 million for a 21 yo prospect, they paid 50 million. Even if he has another two seasons like the last they'll be hard pushed to get their money back for a RB unless his form helps them to win the League or do well in Europe. Even then the current rate for top players in that Position is about what they paid for him. I'm not sure what you are getting at with your last question. He's a RB and that is what Man United bought him for. 

My question is if people think it makes less sense to spend big money on a full back compared to other positions. I don’t, even if I do understand that the general price level for defenders is still a bit lower than attacking players. 

Apart from that my main point is that the real issue, that could make this a poor signing, is the general state of the buying club, and not the quality of the player. United over the last years have made all their players worse, where as we have improved ours.

• Upvote 1

Most transfers succeed or fail based on the competence of the manager and club anyway. If Solskjaer has no plan, most of their players, including Wan-Bissaka will probably fail. But it would have little to do with Wan-Bissaka, really. You can tell he's class. 

If you look at it in isolation, it's a pretty good deal. It's a lot of money but they won't really care about that and he's a great defensive fullback.

The problem is that when you look at the bigger picture it's stupid. They already have Dalot, who I actually think is pretty good. Especially at the attacking side of the game - which is where your fullback really earns his money if you want to be near the top of the league. 

If you bring in Wan Bissaka along with Simeone, then fair enough. That means your plan to reach the top is going to be by keeping it tight and conceding 20 goals a season. But even then, you have two massive holes at centre back that are MUCH more important to your overall team than a new right back. Wan Bissaka is a bit of the "flavour of the month" this summer who, despite being a good player, is not a world-beater. But why on earth United are looking at right back as the position they have to fix is mystifying. They should be playing Dalot there and spending their entire transfer budget on 2 or 3 centre backs to give them any chance at top 4.

9 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Dalot is also a right back, is he not? How much did he cost them last year?

I think it was £20m.  I reckon he might try using Dalot as the right midfielder/winger.   So £70m for the two, okay money if it works out. 

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

£250k a week for Rashford. They’re digging themselves a hole. I see no mention of Sanchez moving on either.

I hope Pogba also stays and stinks the place out while picking up his megabucks and contributing to the assembled chaos. That's £1M between just three of them with no guarantees of any reliable return.