You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

Guest Pistonbroke

Oh I. Let's forget about all the young players they have signed and ruined, especially defenders. Have they had an outstanding defender since their glory days? 

He's a young lad with one season behind him. He has to fit into new surroundings, new teammates and the pressure of the price tag. He'll have to hit the ground running with their fans, otherwise they'll turn on him sharpish. 

I'm not saying the lad is not a decent player, but 50 million and 80.000 in wages is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Ginny said:

Tbf £50m and £80k a week is good for young player like him. Hate to say it but I think they’ve got a good deal there. 

If he had a few seasons at this level and performed to a consistent level then I'd agree they would have had a good deal on there hands but 50 million with 1 decent season behind him  is a big leap of faith plus the expectation levels at that hell hole a few bad performances and they will soon be on his case .

They've spent vast sums just to be shit, so take the inflated fee out of the equation and this is a good deal, as he improves them.

Without CL, they need to find players willing to go there, and that's largely been mercenaries. Young players with good potential, who're willing to arrive on low-ish (by Sanchez standards) wages is a smart move.

We’ll see. There’s a different set of expectations playing fullback for a roy hodgson Crystal Palace side than there is playing for Manchester United. He seems very good defensively, which is a decent start, but let’s see how good he is with the added burden of being an attacking threat, while playing for a side with a porous midfield. Jury is very much out, for me

50m and 80k wages for a top young player is a decent deal in this market considering he'll be worth more if he's even just decent. 

He's already a great defender. It's just a matter of will people get frustrated at his relatively limited attacking ability and can he subsequently improve in that area. If he does that he'll be one of the best fullbacks in the world. 

It's their best signing in years but that's not saying much. 

4 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

It's quite sad to see the Mancs and BBC turn Wan Bissaka into a huge signing and justify a price tag which is about 30 million too much.

Who am I kidding, it's funny as fuck. 

50 mil is nuts for a full back.

For me you spend that kind of money on a full back when the rest of your team is there or thereabouts. If we'd done that deal for instance I wouldn't have batted an eyelid, but for them to do it and make such a song and dance about it, it's like buying a spoiler for your Austin Maxi.

Guest Pistonbroke
34 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

For me you spend that kind of money on a full back when the rest of your team is there or thereabouts. If we'd done that deal for instance I wouldn't have batted an eyelid, but for them to do it and make such a song and dance about it, it's like buying a spoiler for your Austin Maxi.

Indeed. The lad has been at Palace since he was 11, he knows the set up, trained with senior players he was used to and used in a set up which had him purely concentrating on the defensive aspect of his position. Did he even create one assist last season? He's a young lad with potential, but with only one whole season behind him they are placing a lot of faith and pressure on him with that kind of contract. 50 million is what you pay for a player in that position who has been an integral part of a very good team, an international, not a player who has had one decent season at Crystal Palace. He could prove us wrong, only time will tell. I reckon he'll be average for them and could easily flop as many have before him. 

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

They've spent vast sums just to be shit, so take the inflated fee out of the equation and this is a good deal, as he improves them.

Without CL, they need to find players willing to go there, and that's largely been mercenaries. Young players with good potential, who're willing to arrive on low-ish (by Sanchez standards) wages is a smart move.

Very much the first steps Klopp took in rebuilding us minus the Neymar inflation transfer fee.

I think transfer fees are just mental at the moment and it's even tougher buying off another premier League club because they all have decent turnover. West Ham, Newcastle and  Everton are all in the world's top 20 richest clubs now, I imagine palace are not that far behind (in fact according to Wikipedia they're 24th). Plus he's got a homegrown tax on his head. Palace can afford to sit tight and the mancs need to make progress on their way forward. He's the 1st player they've signed since Ferguson left where I thought "he can't fail to improve them" (although I didn't expect Sanchez to be so shit). And with the Welsh usian bolt signing for them too, they seem to be shaping up towards their transfer differently than they have over the last 5 years. 

Wan bissaka shouldn't be sending any shivers down our spine, but he's a good player, probably played mane as good as anyone last season and the fee is not such a big deal to them as they turn over about 200m a year more than the rest of us, even if half of that probably goes on servicing debt. They undoubtedly need more than wan bissaka to help cure heir defensive woes, but he's a step in the right direction imo sadly. 

I think bissaka is a very good player, he improves them on paper. The fee is a drop in the ocean to them, he's no big time Charlie and if they do get the best out of him it will seem peanuts long term just like the fee for van dijk seems like a bargain now when at the time almost everyone was thinking way too much.

They are so obscenely wealthy they will fix shit at some point.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

You can get spoilers for Austin Maxis? I'm in!

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

And with the Welsh usian bolt signing for them too, they seem to be shaping up towards their transfer differently than they have over the last 5 years. 

This was all fairly predictable though, you seem to be implying it's part of a wider plan.  This time next year when they're still 6th the new guy will be buying Ronaldo, Alba and Thiago Silva.