You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - sperm of gollum to Utd.

Iceman

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

It was a given, Giggs for example was highly touted as a future superstar at the age of 15.

As was his two euro wins, one was down to john terry missing a penallty, its a fact. 2 wins in all that time is a poor return imo.

We only have five because of huge luck then. Shevchenko missing a sitter and a pen. Not our good performance? 

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

It was a given, Giggs for example was highly touted as a future superstar at the age of 15.

As was his two euro wins, one was down to john terry missing a penallty, its a fact. 2 wins in all that time is a poor return imo.

Four “Euro wins” for Ferguson, wasn’t it? Three with Manchester United and one with Aberdeen.

Since when has winning a competition via a penalty shootout been lucky because an opposition player missed a penalty? Total bollocks!

I’m no fan of Alex Ferguson, but if anything, he could consider himself unlucky to have twice faced a truly exceptional Barcelona team in a Champions League Final. But for them he could have three or four European cups to his name.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Four “Euro wins” for Ferguson, wasn’t it? Three with Manchester United and one with Aberdeen.

Since when has winning a competition via a penalty shootout been lucky because an opposition player missed a penalty? Total bollocks!

I’m no fan of Alex Ferguson, but if anything, he could consider himself unlucky to have twice faced a truly exceptional Barcelona team in a Champions League Final. But for them he could have three or four European cups to his name.

He won two European Cups in 25 seasons or so. That’s undoubtedly an underachievement with the resources they had during a very different era of European football.

Look at it this way - I’m sure he was disappointed with that haul. 

Sadly, he was brilliant domestically. 

10 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He won two European Cups in 25 seasons or so. That’s undoubtedly an underachievement with the resources they had during a very different era of European football.

Look at it this way - I’m sure he was disappointed with that haul. 

Sadly, he was brilliant domestically. 

Yeah, I’m sure he was/is. As I said, it could have been four but, thankfully, it wasn’t. All in the past now, though.

On 21/12/2018 at 16:43, Ne Moe Imya said:

Hope he has a great/lucky few months, including a surprise victory over City. Then they juuuust miss out on fourth with a really bad penalty call and they buy out his Molde contract and give him a six-year deal.

Then next summer he buys a bunch of 30 year-olds for huge money who all flop and he gets them relegated.

Apart from the surprise victory over City, this has pretty much proven to be prophetic.

Now we can only hope the part about him relegating them proves as accurate as the rest of it!

Pochettino would've sorted them out. They've instead gone for totally unproven appointments in key positions trying to re-animate Ferguson.  

Ibrahimovic said it spot on a few months back. Everything is related back to Ferguson. You come wanting to make your own history and all they care about is Ferguson. Ferguson wouldn't have done it that way, Ferguson would've done it like this. Ferguson is gone. Suffice to say, it didn't go down well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, clangers said:

They've somehow managed to recruit a younger even less talented version of Moyes. Superb effort all round.

Just reading over on that redcafe thread that was linked one of their fans admitted he was in the worst 5 managers in the league right now. Got me thinking a bit, it might be an exaggeration but he's not far wrong. Going by their overall careers:

Cream of the Crop:

- Klopp

- Guardiola

Excellent Managers:

- Pochettino

- Benitez

- Sarri

Quite Good, or Potential to Be:

- Espirito Santo

- Rodgers

- Emery

- Pellegrini

Promising:

- Hasenhuttl

- Gracia

Solid, if a bit "meh":

- Silva

- Howe

- Dyche

Well Below-Average for a top league:

- Hughton

- Hodgson

- Warnock

Who Knows? Not much of a record:

- Solskjaer

- Parker

- Siewert

It's actually not much of a stretch at all to say that he's in the bottom 5 managers in the league, if you look at it! You wouldn't swap him for Hasenhuttl, for example. Or Silva, probably, or Howe. You might take him over Siewert, Parker, Hodgson, Hughton, and Warnock, at a push. Pretty much everyone else is an easy choice over him if you look at their career managerial records.

Quite astonishing the series of events that have gotten him the job. What a shambles of a club United are.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Just reading over on that redcafe thread that was linked one of their fans admitted he was in the worst 5 managers in the league right now. Got me thinking a bit, it might be an exaggeration but he's not far wrong. Going by their overall careers:

Cream of the Crop:

- Klopp

- Guardiola

Excellent Managers:

- Pochettino

- Benitez

- Sarri

Quite Good, or Potential to Be:

- Espirito Santo

- Rodgers

- Emery

- Pellegrini

Promising:

- Hasenhuttl

- Gracia

Solid, if a bit "meh":

- Silva

- Howe

- Dyche

Well Below-Average for a top league:

- Hughton

- Hodgson

- Warnock

Who Knows? Not much of a record:

- Solskjaer

- Parker

- Siewert

It's actually not much of a stretch at all to say that he's in the bottom 5 managers in the league, if you look at it! You wouldn't swap him for Hasenhuttl, for example. Or Silva, probably, or Howe. You might take him over Siewert, Parker, Hodgson, Hughton, and Warnock, at a push. Pretty much everyone else is an easy choice over him if you look at their career managerial records.

Quite astonishing the series of events that have gotten him the job. What a shambles of a club United are.

Bit odd to rate managers without looking at the context of their resources.

Hughton, Howe and Dyche have achieved relative miracles with very limited players. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think he deserves to be put above the Owl. The Owl took over Crystal Palace when they had no points and kept them in the Premier League. Hughton got promotion with Brighton and Newcastle and kept them in the league. Ole has never kept a struggling side in the league.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Bit odd to rate managers without looking at the context of their resources.

Hughton, Howe and Dyche have achieved relative miracles with very limited players. 

Yeah, it is a bit difficult but that's just my best guess.

It was quite enlightening to me to write it out. Before I did it I would have said "that's ridiculous, he's at least in the top 10" but then you look at the list and it's more a question of "who would I swap out to get Solskjaer" and the list is really short.

As Boss notes, you could easily make a case that you'd rather have Hodgson. And I'd definitely have Howe or Dyche above Solskjaer for sure.

I love that guy. He makes me laugh out loud everytime I see him. I understand him, he'll be paying for tickets to watch shite player after shite player like we did from the early nineties and alot of years forward. Long may it continue for them. Very long please.

They’re 5-10 years behind what the football side of a successful modern club needs to look like.

Despite their business side providing enough finances to effectively buy a DeLorean in that regard, they’ve chosen to set the controls for 20 years in the past instead.

Ole’s at the wheel alright. Beautiful stuff.